πŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Γ—
admin

Episode 16 β€” The Smurfs

The Smurfs is a movie about an ad executive who is struggling with a pregnant girlfriend and a big assignment at work. Am I missing anything? Paul F. Tompkins joins the gang to discuss this kid's movie and its many flaws: The unnecessarily complicated language, the blatant animal abuse, the awkward casting of Tim Gunn, even the terrible trailers are up for judgment. We introduce the first ever Second Opinions segment, and as always close it up with You've Got Mail. If you've got a child's heart, or had to drag your children to see this movie, you'll enjoy this episode!

The second opinions part is fantastic and really appeals to my child brain and heart, but not if I had a child, and maybe I didn't like it.

• Like 1

I loved the new Second Opinions segment. I also really enjoyed hearing about the two Pauls' solitary theater experiences.

Thanks for seeing what sounds like a clustersmurf of a movie so I didn't have to.

Was glad to hear about Paul Scheer talk about taking a notepad into the theatre, I've sometimes done the same when I've gone to see a movie on my own.

I could use actors talking about their roles in every episode. Most of it is inane babble that covers their shame of settling for unsatisfying work...

Thanks, guys, I've been looking forward to a PFT appearance on this program.

I know logistics can make it difficult for folks to block out more than an hour, but I've gotten the feeling that the show is getting rushed. If it isn't clear, listeners would love an hour and a half, or at least an hour of the gang talking about the movie. Especially with podcast veterans like PFT, who are skilled at the long form.

Otherwise, great episode; the Smurfs sounds like an awful deconstruction of modern ennui.

This podcast was great, but thinking about how much money this movie's making is depressing. I don't care that Hollywood keeps updating old cartoons; I just wish they didn't look so terrible. I feel bad for kids.

Love this podcast! In the spirit of Brainy Smurf, the actress's name is Jayma MAYS. You all said Jayma Mills like smurfzillion times.

I thought this podcast might be one of the less funny ones because of the movie chosen but it ended up being one of my favorite ones thus far. Great job guys.

God help me, I love Tim Gunn, but the portion of the podcast where the gang all talks about Tim Gunn's horrible performance made me laugh until I cried. The mental picture of him getting peanut butter smeared on his gums will never leave my mind.

• Like 1

Wow- great episode! I thought the animal might steal the movie like the previous one but it was just too over the top, maybe even more so than Azaria...I shudder to think what seeds those scenes where the cat gets abused has planted in the little heads that are viewing this...Did you mention the use of "Back in Black" for the showdown scene when the Smurfs imitate NPH's little neck cracking?
I enjoy your show so much but always get a little depressed afterwards about how Mencken's famous line is still so true ("No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.") as shown by some of those, er, positive reviews you read...and this POS is getting a sequel??

i really want to see the smurfs after listening to the podcast. it sounds like it has cult classic potential.

I listen to the podcast every week. Without knowing it was next, I saw The Smurfs on opening weekend with the idea that it would be horrible. This renders the last post invalid.

Do you guys believe NPH should have had a Smurfbortion?

Hey, here's a fun game. Every time a smurf has a long monologue, yell out "The Aristocrats!" at the end.

Guys, sorry to be a nerd but.... JAYMA MAYS. Her name is JAYMA MAYS. Not Jyma Mills. Who is Jyma Mills? Does she have her own maple syrup? What was weird was that everyone was so certain that her name was Jyma Mills that you must have called her that 100 times. At least the error was very consistent. Poor girl. She's done some stuff, right? Jayma Mays. No one caught it and it drove me crazy.

But everything else is pretty accurate. Horrible Smurfing movie.

• Like 1

Second Opinions was fantastic.

Re: Futureboy
Way to get an Aunt Jemima reference into casual conversation. Not easy.

I have a minor complaint about the out-of-studio episodesβ€” and it is minor, as the content of this show is so good that every time an episode posts with someone talking over Skype I initially cringe at the sound quality and the stilted chemistry that happens when someone's not in the room, but quickly get used to it and ultimately enjoy each and every episode, every time.

I've been keeping up with the Earwolf Challenge podcast quite a bit and one thing that has come up time and time again in the judging is the sound quality issues of the podcast contestants. I know that ideally HDTGM will always have everyone in studio, but seeing as it has now happened a few times where one, and in this episode, two people are out of studio on Skype or what have you, I would like to suggest that it may not be a bad idea to start heeding some of that advice to generally raise the level of quality n those episodes.

This episode was AMAZING. I was beside myself laughing the whole time. But occasionally when June would static out for an instant, or Jason's voice would dip and distort for a beat, or either of them would have to speak up and repeat themselves to make a point while not necessarily hearing what Paul and Paul were up to, I would wonder how the episode would have gone with everyone in the same room. I probably would have crashed my car from gut-laughing.

I love this show, and I critique only because I'm a huge fan. I would listen to this show if everyone was on Skype, or talking through tin cans attached with string, recorded on a wax cylinder. Paul, June, Jason and their guests are all ridiculously talented, smart, funny people, and they make bad movies a delight to hear about.

Some of the most memorable, out-of-breath-laughing times I've had in my life have been from standing outside a theater with my friends after seeing a ridiculously shitty movie, and making fun of it and riffing off one another. This podcast recreates that feeling but with actual professional comedians in place of humorous friends. You're providing great service.

Keep up the great work, guys!

I would just like to say it has been a day since that giant wall of text was posted by me. Even though I wanted only to offer up a slight constructive critique about 'away game' recording equipment, express how grateful I am for the much-more-often-than-not SUPER-high quality of production, and then thoroughly drive home that I love and appreciate the show, I found myself today worrying that I had offended.
To be crystal clear, I just wanted to also stress that I understand how ridiculously busy you guys all are, and sometimes you just gotta get everyone together the best you can and get it done, and that is totally a-ok with me. I am no stranger to deadlines, self-imposed and otherwise.
*Whew*

Paul F. Tompkins was completely in his element in this episode. I know the dude's in high demand in Podcast Land, but I would love for him to come back every couple-a months and weigh in. He and Scheer each have a way of getting so excited over what they're talking about that is a form of entertainment unto itsself.
The End.

• Like 2