Sign in to follow this  
Rutabaga

Podcast Listening Habits

I started listening to podcasts before I knew anything about comedy. I was lucky and found NNF and Doug Loves Movies very soon after they started. At that time I had never even or barely heard of Jimmy Pardo, Doug Benson, Paul F, Scott Aukerman, and Todd Glass, who are now all very much my favorites. Half the value of listening to the podcasts was finding out there is someone out there that I had no idea existed and am now in love with. But now, there are just so many great podcasts that I am getting to a point where I don’t know if I can justify listening to every episode of the podcasts I like, because then I never get to some of them. However, if I only listen to people I already like, how do I discover someone new?
My questions to you all: Do you listen to every episode of the podcasts you like? Do you follow certain guests around to different shows, if so, who? Do you skip guests you’ve never heard of? Do you download every episode of podcasts you’ve never listened to? (I do). What’s the longest you’ve listened to a podcast for and then just stopped listening, and why?
Please add more questions too! I want to know how you all think.

I'm pretty much the same Rutabaga; a lot of comedians I'm a big fan of now, including Earwolf's own Hot Saucerman and megafavourites like PFT and Pardo, I'm familiar with because I discovered The Sound Of Young America in 2005 and Jesse Thorn would either have them as guests or talk about them with other guests. Others, like Marc Maron, I discovered because Keith Malley from the long-running Keith and The Girl show is a stand-up comedy nerd and would regularly champion Maron as one of his absolute all-time favourites long before WTF was even a gleam.
I listen to between 30 and 50 hours of podcasts a week. I do listen to every episode of my favourite four or five shows, no matter who the guest is, just because the hook is the host(s) rather than the guests. I also follow certain guests around - specifically Paul F Tompkins, Jesse Thorn, Sarah Silverman, Marc Maron, Jimmy Pardo, Zach Galifianakis, Myq Kaplan, Adam Carolla and TJ Miller. I'll be following Wie-wie Kremer a lot more closely too.
If I've never listened to a podcast I won't download every episode. I'll either get the most recent ep or I'll search for one or two of those guests I follow and take it for a test drive. The longest I've listened to a podcast and stopped listening was around two years of Filmspotting. They had to replace a host and I didn't jive with the new guy. The longest I've listened to a comedy podcast and quit it was SModcast, which I think was around 8 months in 2008. Still like those guys, just realised there were too many people doing that type of show better.
One question I'd add is how many hours per week do people have for podcasts because I think it has a very significant bearing on these habits. I have the opportunity to hear a lot so on the down side I don't have to be as choosy as many other peeps and may not be the most discerning listener ever. On the plus side the fact I'm less limited means I get to try out a lot more new shows than many other peeps so I've been able to get a fairly good view of the podcast landscape over the 6-7 years the genre has been running.
The other question I'll add is what you're typically doing while listening. Commuting in a car or on the bus or train or legs, doing household chores, working on your car, working out, lying down with eyes closed, sitting with eyes closed, standing with eyes closed, walking the dog or komodo dragon, making sweet, sweet love to your Honeybunny, sewing your costume for the next furry convention? So many options.

If I like a podcast I'll listen to every episode of it. And then if there's a podcast I don't generally like but the guest I think is really funny (Michael Ian Black, Sarah Silverman, Scott Aukerman, Louis C.K.) I'll listen to that specific episode. I generally don't skip guests I haven't heard of but I have, although rarely, skipped guests I know I don't like (Carlos Mencia, Andrew Dice Clay, Larry the Cable Guy, Martin Lawrence). And if I like a podcast enough to listen to more than two-three episodes then I probably wont stop listening to it, I haven't yet... with the exception of Mike Detective, but that's just because there haven't been any new episodes... which makes me sad.

I listen to podcasts on my hour-long commute to and from work and then on the weekend while doing yardwork. Carolla is a daily regimen. I am such a fan of his, that I manage to find time to listen to him every day. The only other daily one I listen to is seasonal, a fantasy football one. Scoff if you must, but I won my league last season thanks to them! CBB, Who Charted, HDTGM, DougLovesMovies and The Wolf Den are the only other ones that I never miss an episode from. There's a handful of others I download, (Nerdist, Fitzdog, Maron to name a few) and if I've listened to the previous ones mentioned I'll pop 'em in. But I don't get to all of them. However, like you said, if a guest is on I love, like PFT, I'll be sure to listen.

I listen to podcasts while on the tram, walking to work, during work, at home while playing videogames, and while jogging. I'm a compulsive multi-tasker.

Must-listens: CBB, Who Charted?, Film Junk, Hamish & Andy, Doug Loves Movies, Professor Blastoff, WTF, Comedy Film Nerds.

I don't follow people/guests I like to podcasts I've never heard of or don't like.

I DO listen to the back catalogue of podcasts I like. I'm talking weeks of material. I'm talking every episode on Ricky Gervais' radio show and podcast. If it's good, I'll listen to it.

i here y a man. i recently cancelled my cable and upped my speed online. going to netflix stream and podcast. : maron,rogan, nerdist, jim and eddie talk shit, sklar, doug, fitzdog, pardo, superego, stuff you should know, this american life, pod f, the moth, adam, wolf den, prof blast, how did this get made............never stops man

i here y a man. i recently cancelled my cable and upped my speed online. going to netflix stream and podcast. : maron,rogan, nerdist, jim and eddie talk shit, sklar, doug, fitzdog, pardo, superego, stuff you should know, this american life, pod f, the moth, adam, wolf den, prof blast, how did this get made............never stops man

I pretty much listen to everything I download. I listen to most of my favourites at work and the others I listen while playing video games. In those cases I don't mind missing a bit of it and turn it down for the cut scenes/talking scenes.

I pretty much listen to everything I download. I listen to most of my favourites at work and the others I listen while playing video games. In those cases I don't mind missing a bit of it and turn it down for the cut scenes/talking scenes.