Jump to content


Episode 148.5 - Minisode 148.5


95 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

    Earwolf Buddy

  • Administrators
  • 4,634 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:58 PM

What is shirt cocking? Do people jerk it to Shrek? Paul gets into this and more as he opens up the Explanation Hope Line and goes through Corrections and Omissions for Vampire’s Kiss. The Movie Bitches review The Accountant and you’ll hear about the virtual reality world we will enter in the movie we cover next week! This episode is brought to you by Squarespace.
Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
Paul is in the new Nicolas Cage film “Army of One” available on VOD.
Paul’s new comedy Filthy Preppy Teen$ is now avail on the FullScreen and you can see June and Paul in their old show NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. Paul also appears on Fresh off the Boat on ABC.
June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.
Jason can be seen in How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.
listen to my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 Ryan Sz

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:28 AM

This should be a fantastic episode. What's interesting about this is that during the Maxmimum Overdrive episode one of the audience members incorrectly stated that that movie was based on a three page short story by Stephen King, when it was actually about twenty-five which allowed for it to be fleshed out enough to create a basic plot for the movie. THIS is the movie based on the three page King short story and because there was no real story in it outside of a guy being killed by a weird lawnmower service that he hired, the screenwriters for this movie went completely off the rails in making a storyline. It was so bad that King sued to get his name taken off the posters and the title of the movie was changed to just "The Lawnmower Man" and not "Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man," which now think about that in concern to some of the other movie adaptations based on his work and you'll realize how bad this movie is.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#3 Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:47 AM

There was a videogame for The Lawnmower Man



#4 Judas Priestly

    Like a truck; a machine.

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:20 AM

Fuck YES!!!! I have seen this movie SO many times as a kid. I haven't seen it in forever, but just like Over The Top and Secret of the Ooze, when they do a movie I saw a gajillion times as a kid I always end up loving it that much more.

View PostRyan Sz, on 18 November 2016 - 05:28 AM, said:

THIS is the movie based on the three page King short story and because there was no real story in it outside of a guy being killed by a weird lawnmower service that he hired, the screenwriters for this movie went completely off the rails in making a storyline. It was so bad that King sued to get his name taken off the posters and the title of the movie was changed to just "The Lawnmower Man" and not "Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man," which now think about that in concern to some of the other movie adaptations based on his work and you'll realize how bad this movie is.


I thought I remembered that! And I've read the short story. They only thing they used was the "birdbath" scene. I thoughed I remembered King's name being attached to it, but couldn't find reference to that on Wikipedia or anywhere else; so I'd begun to assume that they threw the birdbath thing in there because there happened to be a King story with the same title. I'm going to try to re-watch this one for the episode. I can't WAIT!!!!
"If I can download Joust: Gave Over, Life!"

#5 ironicmerman

    Sentient hot dogs

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:47 AM

This should be a doozy. I saw the movie as a kid but probably haven't watched it again for 20 years or so.

On another note, has anyone else noticed that Zouks' comments have been much less pervy the last couple months? Is he ok?
Technicality. No. Down. Boo. Over.

#6 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:57 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 18 November 2016 - 05:28 AM, said:

It was so bad that King sued to get his name taken off the posters and the title of the movie was changed to just "The Lawnmower Man" and not "Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man," which now think about that in concern to some of the other movie adaptations based on his work and you'll realize how bad this movie is.

I still take his opinion with a grain of salt because of how much he hated The Shining when I consider that to be one of the greatest movies of all time. Granted I have not read the book so I guess I can't really properly argue that case.

#7 Jillybean

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:15 AM

Correct! Although, I'm glad the audience member got it wrong, only because we got to hear Andy Daly reply with, "Stephen King's an asshole!" I haven't seen this movie in a long time. Can't wait to re-watch before the podcast episode airs. I remember seeing Jeff Fahey pop up in "Lost," and saying, "Holy crap - it's the lawnmower man!"

#8 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:27 AM

WAIT I JUST FINISHED THE EPISODE

AUSTIN IN MAY!!?!!?!???!!

TEXAS MEETUP I'M CALLING IT RIGHT NOW

#9 joshg

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:49 AM

Regarding the generous donation in the amount of $360 - it does not mean that the donor is part of the Illuminati; it means that he is Jewish. The Hebrew word for life is "Chai": two letters, Chet and Yud (as in, "L'chaim"). According to the gematria (alphanumeric code), Chet, the 8th letter of the alphabet, is assigned an 8, and Yud, the 10th letter, is a 10. Therefore, "Chai" is 18, and Jews traditionally give monetary gifts in multiples of 18. 36 is Double Chai, and depending on the occasion and the generosity of the donor, people will give gifts of $180 or $360. To life, HDTGM!!

#10 LTL

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:04 AM

its time to ditch the two doing movie reviews .. please !!!

#11 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:59 AM

3 minor adjustments and paul turns into the lawnmower man

Posted Image

#12 jerrycanada

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:37 PM

I am not sure i can take much more of this abuse of the great screen actor Stephen King!



#13 Fister Roboto

    #likesanimals

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 18 November 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

WAIT I JUST FINISHED THE EPISODE

AUSTIN IN MAY!!?!!?!???!!

TEXAS MEETUP I'M CALLING IT RIGHT NOW

COME DOWN! I'M GOING!

I was so excited to hear that! Usually, we only get Earwolf stuff during SXSW, and I refuse to go anywhere during that.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#14 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:07 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 18 November 2016 - 01:33 PM, said:

COME DOWN! I'M GOING!

I was so excited to hear that! Usually, we only get Earwolf stuff during SXSW, and I refuse to go anywhere during that.

HELL YEAH I'M GOING!

Posted Image

#15 JammerLea

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:49 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 18 November 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

WAIT I JUST FINISHED THE EPISODE

AUSTIN IN MAY!!?!!?!???!!

TEXAS MEETUP I'M CALLING IT RIGHT NOW

Oh my god I kind of want to go, but I'm always so poor. Maybe I'll be blessed with some bonus holiday money...

Okay, roommate and I are resolving to save money to go!

#16 CakeBug Tranch

    Loyal Tompkastaway

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

I won the no-prize! Is it terribly lame for me to mention it?
Everyone: "Boom! Smash! Something Something Something Family" - See You All In Two Weeks, Fate of the Furious

Ms. Darbus: "Bravo!"
Coach Bolton: "Brava!"
Ms. Darbus: "Oh!" - Correctly Gendered Italian Grammar Equates to Tolerance, High School Musical

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss
xXx: Return of Xander Cage
Body Parts

#17 Ryan Sz

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:44 PM

View PostJudas Priestly, on 18 November 2016 - 06:20 AM, said:

I thought I remembered that! And I've read the short story. They only thing they used was the "birdbath" scene. I thoughed I remembered King's name being attached to it, but couldn't find reference to that on Wikipedia or anywhere else; so I'd begun to assume that they threw the birdbath thing in there because there happened to be a King story with the same title. I'm going to try to re-watch this one for the episode. I can't WAIT!!!!

This movie was originally meant to be just called Cyber God, but according to Wikipedia, New Line had the rights to the King story so they decided to cannibalize what they had and rename it and attach King's name in the hopes of getting a bigger draw at the box office, similar to how a lot of video game adaptations of movies are made. While King won his first two lawsuit to have his name removed from the title, New Line basically said "fuck that" and released the home video version with the original name, causing King to sue them for a third time, winning again and getting 10k per day that the name remained and any profits that the movie made until the name was changed, which should have been a pretty penny as this movie was a surprising hit, making three times its budget at the box office.

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 18 November 2016 - 06:57 AM, said:

I still take his opinion with a grain of salt because of how much he hated The Shining when I consider that to be one of the greatest movies of all time. Granted I have not read the book so I guess I can't really properly argue that case.

The book is great too, though the Jack character doesn't start out as a total jerk to his family as he appears in the movie and there were some scenes that were removed because they really couldn't have been done well at that time like the hedge animals that come to life. There were also other changes with the other characters' personalities, namely Wendy and the manager of the hotel. I get why King would be mad on the character changes, especially Wendy who went from a strong independent character to a screeching weakling as played by Shelley Duvall.

I can't wait to hear the hosts talk about what is basically Flowers For Algernon with computers and the fact that this somehow didn't completely kill Brosnan's career, though for a couple years he languished in Hollywood, doing a few TV movies and B-grade crap outside of his role in Mrs. Doubtfire, before finally landing the role of James Bond in Goldeneye and revitalizing his career.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#18 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:31 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 18 November 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

The book is great too, though the Jack character doesn't start out as a total jerk to his family as he appears in the movie and there were some scenes that were removed because they really couldn't have been done well at that time like the hedge animals that come to life. There were also other changes with the other characters' personalities, namely Wendy and the manager of the hotel. I get why King would be mad on the character changes, especially Wendy who went from a strong independent character to a screeching weakling as played by Shelley Duvall.

True story (that I may have mentioned here already) but the last caretaker with the twin girls who murdered his whole family was based on my uncle's boss when he worked at this diner in Estes Park. He grew up there and so of course when The Shining came out it was a big deal to the town that the Stanley Hotel was his inspiration. He told me that the guy was fucking insane and actually kind of scared Stephen King. Then when the book came out he went around the town basically bragging about he was the inspiration for that character (THE ONE THAT MURDERS HIS ENTIRE FAMILY).

Also I'm still blaming Shelly Duvall's characterization on the fact that Kubrick was incredibly abusive to her that entire shoot in order to get her to be more hysterical. Not okay.

#19 Peter Destructo

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBat Cave, NM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 18 November 2016 - 05:28 AM, said:

This should be a fantastic episode. What's interesting about this is that during the Maxmimum Overdrive episode one of the audience members incorrectly stated that that movie was based on a three page short story by Stephen King, when it was actually about twenty-five which allowed for it to be fleshed out enough to create a basic plot for the movie. THIS is the movie based on the three page King short story and because there was no real story in it outside of a guy being killed by a weird lawnmower service that he hired, the screenwriters for this movie went completely off the rails in making a storyline. It was so bad that King sued to get his name taken off the posters and the title of the movie was changed to just "The Lawnmower Man" and not "Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man," which now think about that in concern to some of the other movie adaptations based on his work and you'll realize how bad this movie is.


But to bring it full circle, it was Maximum Overdrive where a crew member was seriously injured by a malfunctioning lawn mower.

And y'all don't know me, but I live eight hours from Austin, so I'm going too!

#20 jerrycanada

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:58 AM

Posted Image

SO THIS IS WHAT TWITTER IS LIKE?