๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 148.5 - Minisode 148.5

I also want to say the end of Major League, but that can't be right, can it?

ย 

Did you cry because it's perfection?

• Like 3

What is something you enjoy (e.g. Movie, music, etc.) that you would think would be generally accepted as something objectively good, that the people closest to you in your life just don't like? And, what is wrong with these people?

ย 

ART. I live with my best friend's family and while my friend and I are artistic and work on various projects and sell some of our work, her family has almost no appreciation for it and often get annoyed that we're apparently wasting time and space on what they see as a pointless hobby. Like sorry we have hobbies besides just sitting in front of a TV all day like everyone else in this house idek /mini rant

ย 

We're also the only ones who really appreciate bad movies, but I'm not sure that qualifies as "objectively good".

ย 

---

ย 

For tearful stuff, the movie that sticks in my mind is the 1997 "The Dog of Flanders" animated movie from Japan. I bought it on VHS at a time when I was like "This looks like a cute anime!" Oh... oh I was wrong. I read the book later and it was a pretty close adaption. They both made me cry. I will forever refuse to watch the American 1999 version, because they made it a happy ending. Ugh.

I just wish I could find the anime movie again, as I currently do not have a VHS player.

• Like 2

Ryan, you gotta check out Lawnmower Man 2 and tell me what you think/how much beer you had to drink. I know you're on a DLM challenge!

Oh I know I haven't updated myself on the thread I started a while back about what movies that have been done on the show that you have seen and/or own so I will say now that I own BOTH Lawnmower Man movies because I love shitty movies. The sequel was weird in that it picks up right after the first movie and then jumps forward years in the future where Cyberspace is everywhere and Jobe had reconstructive surgery after the accident in the last movie so as a way to cover the fact that they replaced Jeff Fahey with Matt Frewer.

ย 

Another interesting thing is that there is a director's cut of the first movie that is over THIRTY MINUTES longer than the theatrical release, which apparently was better received by viewers but is also how Stephen King found out about New Line still using his name in the marketing. From looking at the comparison, there was a huge scene cut out where the monkey actually escapes the science lab rather than getting killed and comes across Jobe at his home. It leads to a giant hostage situation between the government agents, the monkey, Jobe, and Brosnan is acting as the negotiator. It all ends with the monkey going out in a blaze of glory and getting mowed down by machine guns in a very vicious manner, this is why when we first meet Jobe his boss asks him what he did to make the priest so mad. Then near the end Jobe psychically takes over Brosnan's ex and has her shoot a couple government agents before they murderize her with machine guns, all while Brosnan watches tied up in the VR chair. I wish I was making all of that up and kinda feel like it as I'm a little high right now but I shit you not that is real.

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever asked this yet, but it's fresh on my mind, so I'll go ahead and ask anyway.

ย 

What is something you enjoy (e.g. Movie, music, etc.) that you would think would be generally accepted as something objectively good, that the people closest to you in your life just don't like? And, what is wrong with these people?

Aphex Twin.

ย 

Although I'm not sure that there's anything wrong with *those* people.

• Like 3

Okay, a few things to add. Can't go through and quote them all, so you all know what you wrote.

ย 

1. Yes, lots of good classic crying moments mentioned. I'm not afraid to admit I cry very often at movies. Most every Pixar film gets me going. However, for whatever reason there is one movie that had me crying like nobody's business. It's a Japanese movie called After Life (Wonderful Life in Japan) and I saw it years before coming to Japan. The story is simple. When you die you go to this production office type place where you're interviewed about your happiest memory. Then they take that one memory and they recreate it and give it to you, and that's what you get for the rest of eternity. The story has many beautiful and sad moments but the kicker is they mix in real people being interviewed with the scripted actors. The director, Hirokazu Koreeda, specializes in real powerful dramas and most of his other films like Nobody Knows and Like Father, Like Son will leave you in tears.

ย 

2. Online journalism is the worst when it comes to giving away spoilers. Not everything comes out here in a speedy manner and if it's more than a week later or sometimes days it seems to be okay to put the spoiler in a headline. Or the worst is when the headline is something like "SPOILERS!! You won't believe the shocking cameo/death" and then followed by a picture of said thing. Why put spoilers if you're going to put a picture of it that is twice the size of the headline? Once you saw you know and it doesn't matter if you read it or not.

ย 

As for,

There are numerous films I could pick here, but I'm going to go with something a little less subjective taste wise and go with something that seems to be a weird generational divide. YouTube shows and creators. There are a lot of YouTube channels and personalities that I over the years have fallen in love with and follow regularly. I will watch some of them everyday or week like I would a televised TV show. I have a lot of respect for people like MatPat, Good Mythical Morning, Day9, and Screen Junkies to name a few that churn out lots of well done quality content every week that we get to watch for free. However, none of my family or close friends get it. There is a weird idea that it's just YouTube so it's not hard. Or because it's for free it's "not good enough" to be on TV or elsewhere. Most of them won't even give the videos a try and if they do are very dismissive saying "it's okay for an internet thing." In the last two years I've heard kids at school talk about wanting to be YouTubers as a future job and other teachers just laugh at them. I see this as a perfectly valid idea. If they truly put effort into it, and try hard they could be successful or it could spin off into something else. Most of them may try and will fail but that's the same with any field of entertainment. Separate those who want to do it from those that think it's an easy pay day. I'm not going to defend every video or personality on there, but I just find the whole idea of dismissing YouTube outright a bit irksome.

• Like 3

For tearful stuff, the movie that sticks in my mind is the 1997 "The Dog of Flanders" animated movie from Japan. I bought it on VHS at a time when I was like "This looks like a cute anime!" Oh... oh I was wrong. I read the book later and it was a pretty close adaption. They both made me cry. I will forever refuse to watch the American 1999 version, because they made it a happy ending. Ugh.

I just wish I could find the anime movie again, as I currently do not have a VHS player.

That is like an instant go to reference and short hand for something really sad here in Japan. Why this is a popular children's story I'll never know.

ย 

If any dog lover has a free ten minutes, a box of tissues, and wants to feel sad I suggest you watch Marimo

ย 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGQVX8iGbgk

ย 

Just posting that has me in tears...

• Like 2

From the tin-hat, grassy knoll gunmen department, go back to the no name caller at 6:15 into the ep, and ask yourself "could this be Nic Cage?"

ย 

Like farting in a crowded room & walking away, I am out of here.

ย 

I don't know about "objectively good," but my wife isn't really into the kind of ugly, irritating music I am. Like The Fall, The Birthday Party, The Locust, etc. I also have a profound emotional connection to 80s synth pop she doesn't seem to share (like Forever Young by Alphaville). However, we both love The Pixies, The Beatles, The Breeders....

• Like 2

That is like an instant go to reference and short hand for something really sad here in Japan. Why this is a popular children's story I'll never know.

ย 

A couple of the manga I read recently referenced Dog of Flanders too, so I've learned "I'm tired, Patrasche" is a thing to say lol

Yeah, I have no idea how they made a children's TV series out of it. How did they get 52 episodes out of that little book??

ย 

If any dog lover has a free ten minutes, a box of tissues, and wants to feel sad I suggest you watch Marimo

ย 

I... I'm not crying! You're crying! ๏ฝก๏พŸ(๏พŸยดะ”`๏พŸ)๏พŸ๏ฝก

• Like 3

Hey guys, I'm sure everyone is going to be busy with family and whatnot for the next couple of days, so just in case I don't get a chance later, I just wanted to wish you all (regardless of country of origin) a very Happy Thanksgiving! This has truly been a year made of garbage, but through it all, I could always count on you all to provide a pleasant diversion and a good laugh. I'm just thankful for all of you, new and old friends alike.

ย 

Happy Thanksgiving!

ย 

tumblr_ml872zTIh31qeo6ejo1_400.gif

• Like 6

ย 

ย 

Oh, don't worry. Unavoidable Internet headlines spoiled that for me awhile ago.

ย 

giphy.gif

ย 

ย 

How did I forget about the saddest scene in Inside Out... I remembered thanks to Cameron H .gif Don't worry I won't spoil it...

ย 

ย 

ย 

a6ea447e5580a72f6e9b6df8cefb54e7.jpg

ย 

• Like 1

Hey guys, I'm sure everyone is going to be busy with family and whatnot for the next couple of days, so just in case I don't get a chance later, I just wanted to wish you all (regardless of country of origin) a very Happy Thanksgiving! This has truly been a year made of garbage, but through it all, I could always count on you all to provide a pleasant diversion and a good laugh. I'm just thankful for all of you, new and old friends alike.

ย 

Happy Thanksgiving!

ย 

tumblr_ml872zTIh31qeo6ejo1_400.gif

ย 

Same to you. Been listening for almost five years, but only recently began posting on the board. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

• Like 4

Worst Screen Couples in HDTGM Movies (Romantic or Non-Romantic)

John Travolta and Robin Williams - Old Dogs

Sandra Bullock and Bradley Cooper - All About Steve

Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie - The Tourist

Jennifer Lopez and Alex O'Loughlin - The Back-Up Plan

Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez - Gigli

Halle Berry and Benjamin Bratt - Catwoman

Nicolas Cage and Nicole Kidman - Trespass

Vanilla Ice and Kristin Minter - Cool as Ice

Taylor Lautner and Lily Collins - Abduction

Matthew McConaughey and Kate Beckinsale - Tiptoes

Lance Bass and Emmanuelle Chriqui - On the Line

Sandra Bullock and Jason Patric - Speed 2: Cruise Control

George Clooney and Chris O'Donnell - Batman and Robin

Will Smith and Kevin Kline - Wild Wild West

Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo - Super Mario Bros.

Sylvester Stallone and Brigitte Nielsen - Cobra

Lindsay Lohan and Grant Bowler - Liz and Dick

Ben Affleck and Charlize Theron - Reindeer Games

Chevy Chase and Demi Moore - Nothing But Trouble

Kelly Clarkson and Justin Guarini - From Justin to Kelly

Sylvester Stallone and Estelle Getty - Stop! or My Mom Will Shoot

Jaden Smith and Will Smith - After Earth

Steven Seagal and Keenen Ivory Wayans - The Glimmer Man

William Baldwin and Cindy Crawford - Fair Game

Matthew Broderick and Danny DeVito - Deck the Halls

Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dennis Rodman - Double Team

Colin Farrell and Jessica Brown Findlay - Winter's Tale

Bruce Willis and Jane March - Color of Night

Mariah Carey and Max Beesley - Glitter

Sylvester Stallone and Dolly Parton - Rhinestone

Josh Duhamel and Julianne Hough - Safe Haven

Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis - Jupiter Ascending

Whoopi Goldberg and Theodore Rex - Theodore Rex

John Travolta and Jamie Lee Curtis - Perfect

Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman - The Avengers

Jennifer Lopez and Ryan Guzman - The Boy Next Door

Sarah Michelle Gellar and Sean Patrick Flanery - Simply Irresistible

William Ragsdale and Kristy Swanson - Mannequin 2: On the Move

All I was thinking throughout Lawnmower Man .. was that poor Job must been molested alot ALOT ...he was so trusting and innocent.

I don't know about objectively good but my wife isn't really into the kind of ugly, irritating music I am. Like The Fall, The Birthday Party, The Locust, etc. I also have a profound emotional connection to 80s synth pop she doesn't seem to share (like Forever Young by Alphaville). However, we both love The Pixies, The Beatles, The Breeders....

Anyone who doesn't love or appreciate The Pixies is probably a terrible person, or at least one I don't want to know.

ย 

Worst Screen Couples in HDTGM Movies (Romantic or Non-Romantic)

This is a great list! You should make a separate post, with a poll. My vote for worst romantic couple has to be Chevy Chase and Demi Moore in Nothing But Trouble, that one stands out as particularly chemically repellant.

• Like 1

I haven't had a chance to watch Lawnmower Man yet, so I'm staying off the new thread, but I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and managed to survive Black Friday. I had to work this morning and got to see Loss Prevention almost throw down with some guy trying to walk out with merch stuffed under his shirt. Retail is amazing. Can't wait to get some time to relax with the podcast. Maybe tomorrow...

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this