🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 50 - The 50th Episode Squib Spectacular

On this very special 50th episode of I Was There Too, Matt invites you all along on his journey to fulfill a lifelong dream of getting professionally squibbed. Substitute host and podcast brethren Mark McConville interviews Matt and andrew from J&M Special Effects throughout the process and fellow podcast soulmates Paul F. Tompkins and Jeremy Carter beautifully provide the taut action drama of the fictional scenario in which Matt is to be fake shot. Plus, Matt’s dad, stepmom, and fiancée join him to provide a tough but honest critical reaction.

This was beautiful. It was like watching a teenager's eyes light up as he discovers that what his father had behind his back was the key to his first car. And then the exhilaration on his face as he drives it off a fucking cliff.

Like Sisyphus finally cresting the hill after eons of effort, and then laughing as the boulder dives down the opposite face of the hill, into a village of smiling babykids.

A bear eviscerating a bee hive, a maniacal stare on his face as he throws away the honey and stabs fistfuls of bees into his goddamn face, finally transcending the bonds of pain and bearhood to become something...

...more.

So happy for you Matt, truly magnificent.

And hey, now you know you've got at least three boogies in your kru willing to kill you at the drop of a hat, should the need arise.

• Like 1

As a wise man once said: I'm into this.

Really great, I loved the short film. I need to create a gif of Matt being shot by the machine gun in slow motion.

This made me think of a series of videos called We Were Behind The Scenes where Matt (and special guests?) explore some behind the scenes movie magic in every episode.

• Like 1

This made me think of a series of videos called We Were Behind The Scenes where Matt (and special guests?) explore some behind the scenes movie magic in every episode.

That would be great. If it were kept fairly simple, it seems like it could be done on a reasonable budget because small FX houses might be willing to do it just for the exposure.

• Like 2

Listening to the podcast first and then watching the short film after was a truly immersive experience. Especially loved the nice surprise of the test squibs failing several times (and the growing spot of blood on Matt's shirt).

Whenever I think of squibs, it makes me think of the 'firework' usage that Matt mentions in the podcast, which is an old, old term: it even appears in Marlowe's 'Dr. Faustus' (1592):

VINTNER. What mean you, sirrah?

ROBIN. I'll tell you what I mean. [Reads from a book] Sanctobulorum

Periphrasticon—nay, I'll tickle you, Vintner.—Look to the goblet,

Ralph [Aside to RALPH].—[Reads] Polypragmos Belseborams framanto

pacostiphos tostu, Mephistophilis, &c.

Enter MEPHISTOPHILIS, sets squibs at their backs, and then

exit. They run about.

VINTNER. O, nomine Domini! what meanest thou, Robin? thou hast no

goblet.

RALPH. Peccatum peccatorum!—Here's thy goblet, good Vintner.

Gives the goblet to VINTNER, who exit.

Christopher Marlowe's The Squibbening! I played Ralph in a university production of the play years ago and the squibs set at Robin and Ralph's backs were little explosives designed to give the effect of magic. JUST LIKE THESE SQUIBS!

Also, of course, thrilled to see my hero PFT in the episode. Lovely lovely stuff.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this