🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 149 - The Lawnmower Man: LIVE! (w/ Neil Casey, Emily Heller)

Can we talk about the intelligence drug?

That drug is called "Mimezine" BTW, it's what lets Virtual Reality work.

I love this one too! If it wasn't so visually dependent, I would love to see Cam Bert's 'overseas marketing' posts featured on episodes much in the way the SlashFilm interviews are. So fascinating. Good work Cam Bert!2w69stl.jpg

I want to see that movie and now! boy would you be so let down, if that was the films poster art.

Lots of joking about the Director's Cut in this ep, but here's an actual detailed list of the cuts (complete with screenshot) made from Director's to Theatrical, thanks to a German release of the Director's Cut on DVD:

http://www.movie-cen...t.php?ID=324384

I screwed up, that should of been the extended edition, and not the directors cut.

• Like 2

Amazing pick; so great along with Dreamcatcher and Maximum Overdrive for crap Stephen King films. 2 notes:

- as mentioned by another user, if his birthday is indeed in December, Jason did not see Phantom Menace on his birthday. I know because it was my birthday, in May, and it was very sad. None of Episode !,II, and III were released in December, but it appears The Force Awakens was released on his birthday (or the Web is wrong about his birthday).

- You guys are slipping on your Gilligan's Island knowledge. The show ran from 1964-1967. The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island was in 1981. That's why Thurston Howell wasn't on it and Lovey and his son were there. And why Bob Denver looked 80 under that hat.

Access denied access denied access denied access denied access denied access denied access denied access denied access denied...access GRANTED.

• Like 2

Does anyone else think that the guard killed by the chimpanzee at the beginning of the movie kind of deserved it? I'll give you that the chimp's time in the VR gyroscope might have made the clunky motherfucker stealthier. I'll even even grant that the VR was able to bestow the nimbleness of finger required to steal a guard's gun from right out of his holster. But you know what VR can't fix? Chimp stink.

We're talking about a laboratory animal that probably spends the majority of its time wallowing in its own filth. That guard should have smelled that-turd tossing simian's stank from at least two hallways away.

• Like 3

Minor gilmore girls spoiler: Was anyone else really turned on when Rory kept repeating "I slept with a wookie!" I totally haven't watched it but walked in on someone else watching it at probably the best possible moment.

Emily's laugh was a bit much at first. I don't know if she was nervous or what, but she laughed at literally everything anyone said for the first 20 minutes or so, and I couldn't focus on what people were saying. Fortunately, it died down a lot as they went on. The only problem I really had with it was that I think she forgot she had a microphone up to her mouth (and likely couldn't hear it coming from a monitor or anything) when she started laughing. If you look at, say, PFT - who has a very fucking loud laugh - he almost always turns away from the microphone when he lets out a big laugh, and I think that's why I find his laughs endearing but Emily's a bit overwhelming.

Or maybe I'm just salty because one of the first things she said when she walked out was that A New Hope is boring.

I still thought she was good. I didn't love her, but she wasn't intolerable or anything. I do remember thinking about 45 minutes in that tayloranne was probably in love with her. (That's not a slam or anything; she just seems more like a tayloranne comedian than a Fister Roboto comedian).

I absolutely LOVED Neil Casey, though. He's so subdued and dry. He didn't say much, but I feel like everything he said was pure gold (especially when he started everyone down the track of remaking the movie from the wife's perspective).

Anyway, I only have a few things to add so far:

1. Am I the only one that thought Jeff Fahey looked a lot like Taylor Negron in parts of the movie? Especially when he becomes digital, I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't Negron.

2. I'm deeply disappointed that they called ASAC Schrader's assistant guy "Bald Ike Barinholtz" and not "Bobo Paul"

3. The neighbor kid is the same kid from Last Action Hero, and they should do that before they ever do The Cell because The Cell is awesome.

• Like 4

To be fair Gilligan finally did get off the island, as a group of Make a Wish kids wished to save Gilligan from the island after decades of being stuck there. Bob Denver went to a small island off the coast of West Virginia and the kids sailed there in a boat renamed to the Minnow to rescue him. What isn't mentioned is the high probability that Gilligan killed and ate the other castaways leaving him to be the last man standing.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19389_the-8-most-badass-make-a-wish-foundation-wishes.html

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=mo5DAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pqkMAAAAIBAJ&pg=5734,518872&dq=gilligan+make+a+wish&hl=en

Also I'm watching the Lawnmower Man sequel right now and it has to be done on the show. From bad rollerblading to atrocious CGI, this movie basically checks off every point of Paul's "what makes a bad movie" list.

• Like 1

Oops! Meant to edit something and ended up double posting.

giphy.gif

Thank God I'm handsome!

• Like 4

...she just seems more like a tayloranne comedian than a Fister Roboto comedian.

rod1.gif

I do believe it is about to be on...LOL

• Like 4

Oh, another thing the gang touched on!

The reason animal testing was such a big trope in 90s and early 00s movies was because this was when the animal rights movement was really starting to become mainstream. It was largely a fringe movement until academics, lawyers, and veterinarians started getting involved in the late 80s.

Animal testing was one of the first big things they targeted, and so it really blew up in the social consciousness. So it's not just a bad movie trope like in Monkey Shines or this one. It was really widespread and was even the impetus behind quite a few much more well-received films like 12 Monkeys, Jurassic Park (not exactly animal testing, but still animal experimentation)and 28 Days Later.

• Like 3

rod1.gif

I really wasn't trying to be sassy. I was actually happy to come here and read that she enjoyed Emily on the ep because I really felt like she was someone that would click for taylorannne

• Like 3

I really wasn't trying to be sassy. I was actually happy to come here and read that she enjoyed Emily on the ep because I really felt like she was someone that would click for taylorannne

Oh, I know. Just trying to stir up the shit.

• Like 3

I LITRALLY don't remember anything unique about Emily's laugh and I'm surprised that it's even a topic for discussion.

• Like 6

I LITRALLY don't remember anything unique about Emily's laugh and I'm surprised that it's even a topic for discussion.

Kind of the same. But, as long as things don't get mean, I'm happy with people expressing their opinions. For the record, I thought both guests were delightful.

• Like 2

I think I found the next film, last night, I had a unexpected Stephen King movie night. I started by watching "A good marriage" that turned into a terrible and nothing wroth writing home about film. then later this came on cable. "Sleepwalkers (1992)" Ohh good god when the cats show up at the house I could not help myself but laugh. paul Sleepwalkers has got everything we need for a good show. and a great podcast.

ohh and lady's of amazon get ready for YUM!

2ijp9v9.jpg

How did they get the cats to run down main street? i dare ask?

Speaking of Yum!, The other night it almost turned into a Matt Dillon film fest, it started with "Wild Things" and later that night ended with yet another Matt Dillon film that has escaped me by now, because this was late at night.

Kind of the same. But, as long as things don't get mean, I'm happy with people expressing their opinions. For the record, I thought both guests were delightful.

Kiss-ass.

• Like 2

I still thought she was good. I didn't love her, but she wasn't intolerable or anything. I do remember thinking about 45 minutes in that tayloranne was probably in love with her. (That's not a slam or anything; she just seems more like a tayloranne comedian than a Fister Roboto comedian).

rod1.gif

giphy.gif

In all honesty, I'm with tomspanks in that I didn't think this would be a topic of discussion. I didn't read any of the previous posts before I made my comment (and then went back and saw a couple of comments about her laugh later) and I was just genuinely so pleased with this whole episode that I had to come and share how much I loved Emily on it. I also love Neil, but yeah Fister is correct in that Emily Heller is very much a Taylor Anne Comedian TM.

When the comedians laugh at someone else's jokes it actually gets me laughing harder. Every damn time. It is why I so enjoy PFT & Pete Holmes because they genuinely laugh along with the audience. (I'm sure there are others but those are the two examples my brain created.) And something about laughing into the mic just kinda shows me they are participating and they are in the moment with the other three people.

I didn't take it as sassy lol. Promise!

• Like 4

For sure. It was making me wonder if I wasn't listening carefully and that I missed something.

• Like 2

Kiss-ass.

He's my internet husband now, according to his wife, so damn straight he's a kiss-ass

• Like 3

Hey, duuuuuuuudes!

Due to real life sticking it to me I've been gone for some time, but I'm back and boy do I have some thoughts on this movie. You see, unlike most of the podcast listeners I actually got a hold of the director's cut of LAWNMOWER MAN and boy was it a doozy. The cut is a full 40 mins longer, and though the episode touched on some of it's craziness (the Cyboman clip at the beginning), my favorite cut scenes from the film actually explain what happens to Jerry's wife, Caroline! Seriously!

Seriously though, I am not fucking kidding about this.

First, midway through the film, when Jobe starts to read minds, it freaks him out and he looks for the doctor. He goes to his house and meets Caroline, asking if she's seen her husband. Her only reply is,

"That asshole is probably jerking off with his computer".

It's awesome.

But my favorite part!...

Towards the end of the film, when things are getting really screwed up, Larry goes home to his wife and asks if she's seen Jobe, but she won't respond. He quickly goes to the basement (I'm not sure if some version of this is in the theatrical cut, but obviously the full scene didn't make it or they'da mentioned it's insanity!) and finds Jobe at his set up. Jobe tries to convert the doctor to his new way of thinking. He tells Larry he can give him anything, then we see Caroline walk down the basement stairs. She's in full on Stepford wives mode; apron, cookies, the whole nine yards. Jobe has taken control over her mind(!!) and turned her into his servant, implying that he can force her to be the loving wife Larry always wanted. The docter tries to snap her out of it, to no avail. Jobe sends her back up to the kitchen where we see her pull a gun from a drawer(!!!). Jobe and Larry talk some more before it dawns on Jobe the doctor's called the company to come and get him. A group of henchmen pull up in an SUV and walk up to the house, guns in tow. But Jobe's not worried, simply saying,

"Now you will witness the impossible"...

He then makes Caroline step outside the front door and shoot at the henchmen! She straight up murders one of them before the other two riddle her with bullets!!

That's right. Caroline actually sticks around in the film, only to be forced to commit Suicide-by-Firefight! It's ruthless.

There's a bunch more, but considering all the wife talk in the ep, I thought this would be a pretty good piece of info to saunter back into this forum with.

Glad to be back!

• Like 7

A bit of info about the symbols that flash during Job's make-smarter sessions. Some of the things that flash by are simply geometric shapes or the occasional mandala, but the real intricate circles with the Hebrew writing etc. are actually magical circles from the "Key Of Solomon."

Circles for summoning spirits (or demons) as well as a number of other uses.

I saw this film several times at the theater when it was released (mostly as I have been a longtime fan of VR) and around that time I had been reading a copy of the Key Of Solomon so I recognized them right away.

It amused me to no end, later in the film, when he mentions "This technology is simply a route to powers that conjurers and alchemists used centuries ago."

They were making him smarter, expanding his consciousness, and pelting his brain with magical inscriptions.

Sheesh. What did Larry THINK was gonna happen?? :-/

-Pizmeyre

• Like 3

I didn't take it as sassy lol. Promise!

I honestly got a little worried, and stupid Cameron didn't help. I was like, "Great. The one time I'm being sincere and saying I'm glad someone else enjoys something, she's going to think I'm just being an asshole."

• Like 2

I honestly got a little worried, and stupid Cameron didn't help. I was like, "Great. The one time I'm being sincere and saying I'm glad someone else enjoys something, she's going to think I'm just being an asshole."

Yeah wow you've been missing for months and months and just came back a tooootal asshole!

costanza-wink.gif

• Like 2