🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
FisterRoboto

Possible Forum Game: Musical Mondays

So, we've been talking about musicals a lot, and I mentioned that I'm wanting to see a bunch in January and that my RL friends and I are already coming up with a giant list. Cameron H suggested turning this into a forums game where we pick a musical and all watch it. Each week a different person gets to pick.

What does everyone think? I want to get everyone's feedback before we start doing this, but my thought is that we just come up with a rotation. I'd like to start with a set group and then add new people as they might come along. So, for example, if you participate and want to join to suggest a movie, you get put at the end of the rotation.

I like the idea of doing musicals on off-weeks. Maybe we announce it during the week and then start discussing on Monday? Weekends are my surefire time to get movies in, so that'd be my vote.

We could either keep the list here on the forum or we could start up a Google doc with the rotation and upcoming/current film that I update every week.

Y'all have any thoughts/suggestions?

And just comment here if you want to join so I can put you in the rotation (obviously, Cameron H is in, since he's the one that brought up doing this).

Side note: I'm really hoping this one I saw at Fantastic Fest called The Lure becomes more widely available, because everyone should see it. It's a Polish musical about man-eating mermaids that become nightclub singers. And it's fucking amazing.

• Like 2

I'm in!

Do you have any criteria in mind for movies that qualify as a musical?

I don't think it matters since it's just for fun. And with everyone putting in recommendations, I think we'll end up getting a little bit of everything--which is what I would prefer anyway. Does anyone disagree with that? Should there be a strict definition of "Musical?"

Was there something you were thinking in particular, Tom?

• Like 1

I'm in!

Do you have any criteria in mind for movies that qualify as a musical?

My main criteria is that the characters sing songs. That's about it. I'd like to see a variety of musicals, so I don't want it to be too restrictive. For example, I just watched The History of Future Folk. It probably only has 3-4 songs in it, but it's an entertaining movie that - in my mind - is still a musical, even if it doesn't go into full blown singing and dancing numbers.

But I want this to be a game that's fun for everyone, so if there are questionable suggestions, I think we can all talk about them.

I don't think it matters since it's just for fun. And with everyone putting in recommendations, I think we'll end up getting a little bit of everything--which is what I would prefer anyway. Does anyone disagree with that? Should there be a strict definition of "Musical?"

Agreed.

• Like 1

My main criteria is that the characters sing songs. That's about it. I'd like to see a variety of musicals, so I don't want it to be too restrictive. For example, I just watched The History of Future Folk. It probably only has 3-4 songs in it, but it's an entertaining movie that - in my mind - is still a musical, even if it doesn't go into full blown singing and dancing numbers.

But I want this to be a game that's fun for everyone, so if there are questionable suggestions, I think we can all talk about them.

Agreed.

What about potential HDTGM movies? Should we avoid them? I'm thinking like Sgt Peppers or Rockula type stuff...

I loved The History of Future Folk. That's definitely a musical.

Do animated movies count? And similar to Cameron's question, I was wondering if we had to choose movies that could be chosen for HDTGM.

• Like 3

I loved The History of Future Folk. That's definitely a musical.

Do animated movies count? And similar to Cameron's question, I was wondering if we had to choose movies that could be chosen for HDTGM.

I'd say no. Pick whatever you want to see or wish for others to see.

• Like 2

Are we starting this immediately? Because I'm hella excited for La La Land to go wide release and that's a musical.

• Like 2

Are we starting this immediately? Because I'm hella excited for La La Land to go wide release and that's a musical.

The only problem I have with that is some people (i.e. Me) can't really get to the theater all that often. I would prefer if we could wait until it's at least available to rent, but that's just me.

But those people, again mainly me, may just have to sit out those weeks. No big deal.

• Like 2

I was kind of thinking La La Land soon (because that's one of the things that really has me all excited about musicals), but I definitely don't want to exclude people that don't get to movies often. I think that's going to be an exception more than a rule. But since it's just hitting wide release this week, maybe we could do it in January to give others time to go see it (and also because Rogue One comes out this week and I don't expect everyone is gonna double feature it like I am).

But I am thinking maybe we would pick the first movie this week and start the discussion next Monday, since that will be a minisode week. I'm going to give people time to respond to the thread and everything. Then I'll come up with the rotation, and we'll announce the first movie tomorrow. Does that sound cool?

ETA: Just saw Cameron's post. If we decide to wait until it's available to rent, it's likely to be several months, so should we go that route, you and I can PM about it until we're sick of it, Taylor Anne :P

• Like 2

I was kind of thinking La La Land soon (because that's one of the things that really has me all excited about musicals), but I definitely don't want to exclude people that don't get to movies often. I think that's going to be an exception more than a rule. But since it's just hitting wide release this week, maybe we could do it in January to give others time to go see it (and also because Rogue One comes out this week and I don't expect everyone is gonna double feature it like I am).

But I am thinking maybe we would pick the first movie this week and start the discussion next Monday, since that will be a minisode week. I'm going to give people time to respond to the thread and everything. Then I'll come up with the rotation, and we'll announce the first movie tomorrow. Does that sound cool?

ETA: Just saw Cameron's post. If we decide to wait until it's available to rent, it's likely to be several months, so should we go that route, you and I can PM about it until we're sick of it, Taylor Anne :P/>

No, no. I don't want to be a party pooper. Unless a ton of people suddenly join up and say otherwise, the person's pick is their pick. If everyone else is good with movies in the theater, I'm good. I'm sure I'll be just as entertained by the discussion, I'll just chime in when and where I can. :)

• Like 1

TOTALLY in.

A couple of things: are we selecting musical movies that are good, or HDTGM-worthy? Second, are we selecting movies we are fond of already (and that we all know already), that we want others to talk about, or are we supposed to break new ground? Like, will I be booed off the board if I suggest Moulin Rouge!?

• Like 3

I'll definitely discuss if I've seen it, but my participation will be as-time-permits, and I don't really need to be in charge of picking movies or anything.Though Hedwig and the Angry Inch is one of my favorite movies....

• Like 3

TOTALLY in.

A couple of things: are we selecting musical movies that are good, or HDTGM-worthy? Second, are we selecting movies we are fond of already (and that we all know already), that we want others to talk about, or are we supposed to break new ground? Like, will I be booed off the board if I suggest Moulin Rouge!?

I'd say anything goes. I plan on suggesting really good movies, movies I haven't seen, and dumb ones, I only asked if we want to avoid ones that may be discussed on the show to avoid talking about the same movies over and over, but I don't even know if that really matters. If we get to it first, fuck 'em :)

I'll watch Moulin Rouge--or Strictly Ballroom, for that matter. Although, SB isn't exactly a Musical, I suppose.

I'll definitely discuss if I've seen it, but my participation will be as-time-permits, and I don't really need to be in charge of picking movies or anything.Though Hedwig and the Angry Inch is one of my favorite movies....

Why don't we just put that down as your pick, and if you come up with another one we'll go from there? I don't want anyone to feel any pressure at all.

• Like 3

Why don't we just put that down as your pick, and if you come up with another one we'll go from there? I don't want anyone to feel any pressure at all.

Ok. As long as it's not a problem that I'll probably sit more of them out than I participate in. Just being realistic about my time commitment.

• Like 1

Is Star Wars Holiday Special a musical?

I'll watch Moulin Rouge--or Strictly Ballroom, for that matter. Although, SB isn't exactly a Musical, I suppose.

Strictly Ballroom isn't a musical, but it's the best Baz Luhrmann movie.

I might have cried.

ETA: This.

• Like 2

I'd say anything goes. I plan on suggesting really good movies, movies I haven't seen, and dumb ones, I only asked if we want to avoid ones that may be discussed on the show to avoid talking about the same movies over and over, but I don't even know if that really matters. If we get to it first, fuck 'em :)

I'll watch Moulin Rouge (or Strictly Ballroom)

Agreed on all counts. I'd like a mix of different types of movies, and I don't really care if they might be HDTGM movies in the future. I'm pretty sure you can count on one hand the number of musicals they've done so far, so I'm not particularly worried about stealing their thunder.

And the way I'm looking at it is that I'm going to suggest stuff that I want to watch or that I want to share with you guys. It could be movies I've seen before and really love or movies that I haven't seen but have been meaning to. As long as you can consider it a musical, it's fair game.

And yeah, I totally don't want anyone to feel pressure to pick a movie in order to join the discusison. This is REALLY supposed to be fun. So whatever is fun for you, fuckin' do it! If you like picking movies, pick movies. If you don't, just feel free to chat with us about the movies.

Also, tomspanks asked earlier if animated movies count, and I think Cameron's response was to the other half of the question he asked

(or Cameron's a real piece of shit)

. Animated movies definitely count! I'd rather not run through the Disney catalogue from start to finish, but a Beauty and the Beast here or a Fievel Goes West there won't kill us.

• Like 3

Also, tomspanks asked earlier if animated movies count, and I think Cameron's response was to the other half of the question he asked

(or Cameron's a real piece of shit)

. .

I don't know what you're talking about...btw, I just found my old high school photo.

o-POOP-EMOJI-570.jpg?6

God, was I ever so young?

• Like 3

I completely missed this thread and posted it in the Grease 2 one because I am dumb but I'm going to repeat it here:

Om Shanti Om is AMAZING.

It's just this weird and joyful movie that has insane things happen in it. I wish it had been my first Bollywood movie because it's all about the industry. I learned so much just from trying to figure out who all the cameos are. There's literally just a giant musical number where Indian movie stars show up to sing and party. I have no idea who most of them are but I get unreasonably excited about that song.

it'salsoalmostthreehourslongokaybye.

• Like 2

Ha ha, looking forward to subjecting you all to Kenneth Branagh's inexplicable Love's Labour's Lost! That came out when I was writing my undergrad thesis on Branagh, and even to a Branagh-phile like I was back then, this was befuddling. And sing-y.

I do like Strictly Ballroom.

But I love Moulin Rouge! and R+J more.

​

• Like 3

Ha ha, looking forward to subjecting you all to Kenneth Branagh's inexplicable Love's Labour's Lost! That came out when I was writing my undergrad thesis on Branagh, and even to a Branagh-phile like I was back then, this was befuddling. And sing-y.

I own and LOVE LLL! (Former English Major)

I do like Strictly Ballroom.

But I love Moulin Rouge! and R+J more.

​

Typical Aussie...;)

• Like 1

Animated movies definitely count! I'd rather not run through the Disney catalogue from start to finish, but a Beauty and the Beast here or a Fievel Goes West there won't kill us.

Yes yes yes yes yes! Especially Beauty and the Beast! But I'll be DAMNED if we can't throw in Little Mermaid & Mulan!

Also I will throw in Moana because it was fucking stunning and really (finally) went back to the good ol' days of the 90s Disney movies that are absolute perfection. And it's a great movie to take your son to, Cameron!

• Like 5

Do Matthew Lillard and Alicia Silverstone sing in it? I may have blocked that out.

On the subject of animated musicals:

I hate to do this to you guys but given the fact that we're in the forums of a bad movie podcast...

(deep exhale)

Don Bluth made a Little Mermaid ripoff that starred Charo, Gilbert Gottfried and Carol Channing with a score by Barry Manilow.

It's called Thumbelina.

It is miraculously terrible.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this