🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 151 - The 2nd Annual HOWDIES Pt. 1

it's Jacob's ladder!

6fmnar.jpg

if you see clowns and your frightened of dieing and your holding on, you'll see clowns tearing your life away..

but if you've made your peace then the clowns are really angels freeing you from the earth. LOL

god I love that movie, cry every-time I watch it.

I laughed hysterically at the Air Force One confusion bit and then got really sad realizing how close to reality it is. If and when Trump is inaugurated as president of the united states, I think it will be perfectly reasonable to confuse Con-Air for Air Force One...

• Like 4

Do you think the subsequent Howdies will give us an update on MANnequin? I really want to know where the butt starts.

• Like 5

Finally listened to this today while at work (hooray for being in a little room by myself lmao). A lot of these clips are from before I started following the podcast, so I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do, but it was still enjoyable to get a taste of what I've missed.

Man, I'm like June sometimes. I don't remember half the shit I watch. I swear I've seen Abraxas (with Rifftrax commentary) like 3 times, and I still could not even begin to tell anyone what it's about.

Is Jason the new DiCaprio? When will he get his Howdie?!

• Like 2

I love how game June is to make fun of herself. And you know it's going to be good when Jason starts to wheeze laugh.

It's going to be a shame when next week she has NO recollection of having ever seen "Grease 2".

• Like 6

It's going to be a shame when next week she has NO recollection of having ever seen "Grease 2".

This is such a tragic thought. Now I'm imagining June tattooing her whole body memento-style with reminders of each and every HDTGM episode lol. Somebody please get to photoshopping this. very excited to see where the Battlefield Earth tatoo goes.

• Like 3

Paul's Best Intro Line

98. LOL: Live! with Rob Huebel, Chelsea Peretti and John Flynn

101. Xanadau: Live! with Michaela Watkins

118. Furious 7: Live! with Adam Scott

134. Can't Stop the Music: Live! with Pete Holmes and Cameron Esposito

137: The Avengers: Live! with Tom Scharpling

What I Learned from This Category: Paul saves his best material for the live shows. Not a single studio ep nominated.

Best Metaphor or Simile

93. Staying Alive: Live! with Katie Dippold

101. Xanadau: Live! with Michaela Watkins (2nd Nomination)

103. Zardoz with Brett Gelman

137: The Avengers: Live! with Tom Scharpling (2nd Nomination)

136. Hell Comes to Frogtown: Live with Natasha Leggero and Moshe Kasher

What I Learned from This Category: "The Avengers' and "Xandau" are really awards darlings.

June's Craziest Theories

100. Junior (No Guest)

108. Con Air: Live! with Seth Grahame Smith

114. Runaway with Rhea Butcher

118. Furious 7: Live! with Adam Scott (2nd Nomination)

120. Masters of the Universe with Tatiana Maslany

What I Learned from This Category: I don't think any of these theories are that crazy. Mirages are scary.

Best Impression by a Guest

102. Tango and Cash with Nick Kroll

103. Zardoz with Brett Gelman (2nd Nomination)

106. Deep Blue Sea: Live! with Evan Goldberg and Paul F. Tompkins

What I Learned from This Category: If PFT had done a full episode as Werner Herzog--like he promised--he would've won this Howdy by now. He has no one to blame but himself.

Pete Holmes Award for Best Dad Joke

134. Can't Stop the Music: Live! with Pete Holmes and Cameron Esposito (2nd, 3rd, 4th nomination)

Best Movie Scene Recreation

106. Deep Blue Sea: Live! with Evan Goldberg and Paul F. Tompkins (2nd Nomination)

107. Lake Placid: Live! with Nate Coddry and Paul F. Tompkins

118. Furious 7: Live! with Adam Scott (3rd Nomination)

What I Learned from This Category: ... Jason was robbed. But PFT should get an award for best substitute June because two of his eps were nominated.

Best Host One-Liner

99. A View to a Kill: Live! with Matt Gourley and Matt Mira

104. Zardoz (part two with June Diane Raphael)

130. Teen Witch with Deanna Cheng

133. The Quest with Jon Gabrus

137: The Avengers: Live! with Tom Scharpling (3rd Nomination)

137: The Avengers: Live! with Tom Scharpling (4th Nomination)

Best June is Mad as Hell Moment

89. Gooby with Nathan Fielder

96. Monkey Shines (No Guest)

109. Face/Off: Live! with Randall Park

124. Hackers (No Guest)

Pete Holmes Award for Guest Laugh

134. Can't Stop the Music: Live! with Pete Holmes and Cameron Esposito (5th nomination)

What I Learned from This Category: Wow, this episode got nominated for a lot of awards. I don't know why it was so controversial on Reddit. :P

Best Moment of Realization

94. Glitter: Live! with Adam Scott, Casey Wilson and Dan Levy

132. Bloodsport: Live! with Nicole Byer

136. Hell Comes to Frogtown: Live with Natasha Leggero and Moshe Kasher (2nd Nomination)

What I Learned from This Category: It's upsetting to me that Hell Comes to Frogtown has more nominations than Bloodsport.

Grossest Sex Talk

96. Monkey Shines (No Guest) (2nd Nomination)

97. Rhinestone: Live! with Matt Jones

121. Perfect: Live! with Seth Morris

132. Bloodsport: Live! with Nicole Byer (2nd Nomination)

What I Learned From This Category: Yay, more Bloodsport nominations. What a relief. Congratulations to Nicole.

• Like 8

What I Learned from This Category: Wow, this episode got nominated for a lot of awards. I don't know why it was so controversial on Reddit. :P

What I learned is that not only are our three hosts hilarious, but they also have a devilishly wicked sense of humor. :)

Clark-Griswald-Giving-The-Finger-While-Driving-In-National-Lampoons-Christmas-Vacation.gif

I hope Can't Stop the Music wins a bunch more.

• Like 5

P.S. my roommate and I were excited because Paul mentioned the Austin show at the beginning so we were hoping there would be details in the episode, but nooooo... Quit toying with us, Paul, I'm going to cry.

• Like 1

If I'd known that "mad as hell" June would be a category, I would've nominated the bit near the end of Runaway where June declares that somebody in the film "didn't do SHIT!"

1zr0r2s.jpg

a team at ILM worked night and day to create john travolta hair with state of the art computers.

ri4rbc.jpg

Nicolas cage's hair was a work of art created by hair stylist Nina Kraft.. a body cast of Nicolas cage's was made even though it wasn't entirely necessary. but was requested by mr cage.

1z2g0au.jpg

and the best one in my book for last.

2epn7z9.jpg

Paul this will teach you for not respecting hairdressers.

• Like 3

6ye720.jpg

I got that feeling I just made someone else's Christmas card.

here is a reenactment of how Paul learned his wire was

• Like 3

I just watched the Chris Gethard show episode with Paul and Jason (I know it's from months ago but I didn't realize this was an actual show that was on TV). I don't know what to do with this information.

• Like 1

Yeah, I thought the whole "We're sorry for making you listen to Pete Holmes screaming at you," was a direct reference to all of the message board controversy.

• Like 3

Okay, nothing to do with what's going on here, but I have to tell people, I've just finished watching the second series of Humans, and I'm predicting that people will be hearing the name Sonya Cassidy a lot in the future, as she's just pulled off one of the best villain performances I've seen for a while.

It starts in the US in February on AMC.

One thing I noticed during the Howdies that I didn't catch during the episode was that during the Pete Holmes Award (which sounds weird to say outside of Doug Loves Movies), when Pete makes the "club sandwich" joke, someone in the audience just goes, "Oh god." And it's the most perfect thing ever.

• Like 6

Last christmas i gave you a HDTGM Home Alone ... but this year ...

all I can say is, A plus!

315fuhh.jpg

all poor Ralphie wanted was a BB8, but his mom and dad told him he would shoot his eye out!.

• Like 7

I am still laughing at the guy who found out his wife was pregnant at the

event. later that night, does this mean all my starwars collectables have to go in the basement for a baby room ?

are you a married couple? dealing with that hard to tell news, why not let Darth Vader tell them. Only at Disney parks and resorts.

One thing I noticed during the Howdies that I didn't catch during the episode was that during the Pete Holmes Award (which sounds weird to say outside of Doug Loves Movies), when Pete makes the "club sandwich" joke, someone in the audience just goes, "Oh god." And it's the most perfect thing ever.

I think that was Cameron!

Yeah, I thought the whole "We're sorry for making you listen to Pete Holmes screaming at you," was a direct reference to all of the message board controversy.

Paul is like. "Was this ep to loud?"

8125011d3676776fd5bbc7aa0dcfbcf3.500x253x12.gif

• Like 4

Anyone see the holiday episode of the Goldbergs. 3 shout outs to HDTGM movies? Dan levy wrote it so I'm guessing if the show lasts long enough for them to get the the 2000s and something then glitter might get a shout out ... I love the show so I'd have no problem with that

June botching saying Zardoz while giving herself the award for botching saying Zardoz...

Glorious.

Is this the new Gooby for June?

all I can say is, A plus!

315fuhh.jpg

all poor Ralphie wanted was a BB8, but his mom and dad told him he would shoot his eye out!.

I knew I was getting older when I watched this movie a few years ago, and when I saw Ralphie's teacher [who in my child-mind was a "fat old lady"] and I thought, "Goddamn, she's kind of hot!"

• Like 4

Finally listened to the Howdie episode while finishing Christmas shopping. I hope Jason sweeps the field in the second half of the presentations, because the 'recount' bit has had its time, I think.

Really fun episode. Would have loved to see some of the guests there to accept their awards (phoning in, or whatever) but overall, super fun. One thing I wondered about: in the replay of the audience question where the live audience member makes a connection between Bloodsport and Gymkata, June reacts immediately and with perfect memory of the previous film that's being referenced. This makes me wonder if the whole 'I can't remember any movies' thing is a bit exaggerated? I get that there's a lot of films but to claim no point of reference to any film at all handicaps her ability to contribute for the sake of a bit...

Do we get Howdies Part 2 next or 'Grease 2' Mini? Hoping for the latter and some of our C+Os.

• Like 3