🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
AbeFroman

Best Genre For HDTGM?

As Bloodsport was my favorite episode ever and the Nicholas Cage double feature (Con Air/ Face Off) being a huge highlight of 2015, I was wondering if over the top action films are the genre best suited for HDTGM treatment.

The Fast films have also made some for some of the best episodes over the history of the podcast, while the rom-com episodes this year (Simply Irresistible, Mannequin 2) were a slog to get through.

Is there a genre (action, horror, sci fi) that HDTGM should lean on more than others?

Personally, I enjoyed Simply Irresistible and Mannequin 2. I also feel like variety is the spice of life. The only time I had a problem (I guess, you'd call it that) is when they did, what felt like, a spat of Cannon Films and Cannon-Esque films, and my issue was less with the episodes and more with REALLY shitty movie fatigue.

Otherwise, I like everything:)

• Like 1

For one, I think Sir Nicolas Cage is a genre by himself, as is Sly.

For two, there are others that fell outside the action genre which I liked as much as the JCVD films. These may not necessarily be genres, per se, but they're categories that I think are best for HDTGM.

• Big budget fantasies (Battlefield Earth, Pluto Nash)
  • Ridiculous 80's films (Mac & Me, Road House, Howard the Duck, Sleepaway Camp)
  • Passion projects (Birdemic, The Room)
  • Non-genre films (Devil's Advocate)

• Like 1

For one, I think Sir Nicolas Cage is a genre by himself, as is Sly.

For two, there are others that fell outside the action genre which I liked as much as the JCVD films. These may not necessarily be genres, per se, but they're categories that I think are best for HDTGM.

• Big budget fantasies (Battlefield Earth, Pluto Nash)
  • Ridiculous 80's films (Mac & Me, Road House, Howard the Duck, Sleepaway Camp)
  • Passion projects (Birdemic, The Room)
  • Non-genre films (Devil's Advocate)

Just logging in to click like on this one...

Best genre is action movies, second girls night movies or as I call them chick filcks, because of june. but this has turned into a best of HDTGM so for me that episode that I can listen to over and over again goes Sylvester Stallone's Cobra and over the top. those are entertaining at it's best. My wish list for this year is Rocky IV, first off because its the worst rocky of all time. and second it's the name of my god dam grinder.

and now i am off to make a sticker for my grinder that says "Hey that's some good coffee!"

2w2fw49.jpg

Note this is a pain in the ass to clean that's why I had gone into a rant about this grinder.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of the weird obviously awful films, I prefer the ones where they were trying their best to make a good movie and it just didn't work out.

Also just checking to see if it's just an issue with me but I went to download an old ep today and nothing before episode 140 is showing in itunes?

• Like 1

Also just checking to see if it's just an issue with me but I went to download an old ep today and nothing before episode 140 is showing in itunes?

It's a sad day. This was from the Earwolf newsletter today:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT RE: ARCHIVES

The archives for the following Earwolf shows are now only available on Howl. The most recent 6 months of each show will remain free and come out each week as always. Once an episode reaches 6 months old, it will only be archived to Howl, ad-free! Eventually this will be the case for every show on the network. Please send any questions to support@howl.fm

Shortwave with Grant-Lee Phillips | Rafflecast | the reality SHOW show | Owen & TJ Read the News | Mike Detective | Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project | The Wolf Den | Love, Dad | Professor Blastoff | Who Charted? | Earwolf Challenge | Comedy Bang Bang: The Podcast | I Was There Too | How Did This Get Made?| The Cracked Podcast | The Canon | Nerd Poker | Sklarbro Country

It's a sad day. This was from the Earwolf newsletter today:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT RE: ARCHIVES

The archives for the following Earwolf shows are now only available on Howl. The most recent 6 months of each show will remain free and come out each week as always. Once an episode reaches 6 months old, it will only be archived to Howl, ad-free! Eventually this will be the case for every show on the network. Please send any questions to support@howl.fm

Shortwave with Grant-Lee Phillips | Rafflecast | the reality SHOW show | Owen & TJ Read the News | Mike Detective | Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project | The Wolf Den | Love, Dad | Professor Blastoff | Who Charted? | Earwolf Challenge | Comedy Bang Bang: The Podcast | I Was There Too | How Did This Get Made?| The Cracked Podcast | The Canon | Nerd Poker | Sklarbro Country

Bummer on the paywall timeframe. I agree with the paywall, but I think they should go back a year, especially when you consider the long run of some of these podcasts.

I generally prefer the episodes where they take down mainstream movies, like Demolition Man, Face/Off, Mortal Kombat, etc. Part of that is the fact that there are well-executed aspects of these movies, which makes them watchable. Another part is the joy in watching popular dreck get torn down.

There are some exceptions, however, like Sleepaway Camp, which was barely watchable and almost uniformly terrible, but made for a great episode.

Action-type movies are usually go-to. I like the ones with fantasy/sci-fi elements where they can really dig into the rules or internal consistency of the movie, or more often the lack thereof. Good for June theorizing.

I do like when they do romances too, because those are usually rife with bad psychology or gender relations.

What I don't like is the "critic-proof" b-movie or otherwise intentionally crazy stuff like Hell Comes To Frogtown or the Sharknado movies, or Fast and Furious for that matter.

I wish they would do more "serious" fare whether it be dark and edgy (Devil's Advocate, Color Of Night) or failed Oscar bait like Winter's Tale or current candidate Collateral Beauty. The unintentional comedy is what makes for a special podcast experience, and if it's got magical realism then it ties back into my first paragraph. I re-listened to Winter's Tale recently, and it reduced Jason to a screaming mess, which is also a special podcast experience.

• Like 3

i like the big stupid action movies but thats a personal thing.

i do have a sort of answer for the question posed in the thread title. i try to keep track of some of the stats for the show and one of the stats is the running total of imdb genres listed for each film on that site. it movie gets tagged with 2 or 3 genres. so heres the table so far (up to Escape from LA):

n2h91g.jpg

so, taking the top 3, the most common (not really the best i suppose) is action/comedy/drama

i did a search on IMDB using these 3 genres .. i got 878 results .. but some of them are worth consideration for HDTGM

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?count=100&genres=action,comedy,drama&num_votes=1,&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc&ref_=gnr_mn_ac_1

• Like 1

n2h91g.jpg

This is really impressive. Looking at the list, I feel like Sport, Animation and Western are untapped treasure troves.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of the weird obviously awful films, I prefer the ones where they were trying their best to make a good movie and it just didn't work out.

Agreed. So much funnier when everyone involved is convinced what they are doing is good or 'art'. Don't see the point in taking the mickey out of a film that has gone out its way to be bad. Even Death Spa felt sincere is a weird way.