🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 38 — The Return of Suit McGoo

Remember how much fun we had last time Paul F. Tompkins graced the chartlands? We simply had to have him back to discuss summer songs, cable television (not movies!) and for a sumptuous game of roulette. Paul climbs off of his icy sofa to favor us with his thoughts on M&M ads, The Earwolf Challenge, and Math Rock. You know, all the regular discussion topics. Go to Earwolf to hear what our suit expert thought of Kim Kardashian's wedding and to pick up the brand new ultra-hot Who Charted? t-shirt!

Paul F-Bomb Tompkins always brings the funny whenever he is on a podcast. That math rock intro is the best thing ever, please use that PFT, Weirdest Kulap and Dragon Boy Suede remix every single episode.

Haha, I'm glad my music geek nitpickery provided plenty of comedic fodder. The math rock song was dope.

BTW I don't even like Battles; I'm just a genre nazi after having worked in college radio for like 10 years and having to organize a massive music library (feel free to drop me a line if anyone needs help telling brostep from clownstep).
And PFT never disappoints! Great episode :)

No Paul F. Tompkins, it is not weird that you haven't sought out a Katy fucking Perry video.

Mr. Pete, I'm going to take you up on that. Can you tell me the difference between Baroque Pop and Twee? I know that I like both, and 90% of the music I listen to is ONE of those two, I just can't figure out which is which. Or is it like squares and rectangles where all Baroque Pop is Twee but not all Twee is Baroque Pop?

When I got up this morning and saw that PFT was the guest, it immediately made my day. Opening the episode, seeing it was nearly an hour and a half long made it even better. Right out of the gate, Paul's background laughter at the nitpick comment confirmed this was gonna be great. (Sorry, math rock aficianado).

Hey Caroline. Maybe a bigger indie fan can break it down better, but my understanding regarding twee vs. baroque is that twee refers more to the vocal style and lyrics, and baroque refers more to the instrumentation (horns, flutes, strings, etc) and overall tone (a little more serious than twee). I also think twee is less defined and sometimes used pejoratively.?.. There's a lot of overlap between the two though.
Also, apologies in advance if this music sidetracking continues here. Maybe the music nitpickers need their own thread for ongoing bitching about musical descriptions :D

can't wait to listen to the new ep today, also you guys should be selling 8x10 prints of the new shirt modeling pics! hot hot hot!

I thought my day would be horrible after my morning was spent getting screwed over by a mechanic, but this episode made it all much better. Paul F. Tompkin's two episodes have been my favorite Who Charted? episodes (so far)!

Paul rarely drops the F bomb, but apparently "Scared Straight" really caught his attention. Also, "Shyamalian fakeout" is now part of the American lexicon. Start using it.

But everyone's delight is correct. Both Howie and Paul use stream-of-consciousness; the difference is that you delight at Paul's driven wrapup of his topics, while you delight at Howie's comfortable surrender ("By now, you've realized that this topic is going nowhere.").

I am listening to it now but the Math Rock freestyle that everyone did in the beginning was AMAZING. I want that whole song.

Just an information post.. I work for a wholesaler that handles Bp and 7-11's fountain cups.. their cost per cup of the transparent cup is .12 cents and the cost of the collectors cups is .17 cents..

and that was officially the lamest post i have made in 13 years

Ha, I want to hear Howard talk in a Russian accent more often.

Did anybody laugh as much as I did when PFT asked, “Who am I Zha Zha Gabor?”
Especially because I imagined Paul as today's Zha Zha, not classic Zha Zha.

Possibly the highlight of the episode for me.

What happened to the pics??? I wanna see PFT's seersucker shirt and Kulap's, KULAP's, and of course Kremers Kocktail!

Awesome use of that The Unicorns song. I always love PFTs appearances of podcasts.

PFT making fun of Besser's hosting style on the Earwolf Challenge provided a very cathartic laugh. Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying it, but it was funny to see Paul, Howard and Kulap echoing a lot of the comments people have made on the forums.
-
I listened to this on the way to the cinema to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes, it took a lot of will to resist saying "one for that dumb smurfs movie"

Sign in to follow this