πŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Γ—
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 38 β€” The Return of Suit McGoo

Echoing the kudos for the continuing discourse on Math Rock. But when it was announced that indie nerds came at H&K, I assumed it was going to be for mixing up Washed Out (the "band" name) and Within & Without (the album name). I guess chillwave fans are more laid back than math rock enthusiasts.

I also thought the most infuriating part about that Santa x M&Ms ad is that Santa Claus was there to DELIVER PRESENTS TO THE M&Ms and he was shocked to see that they really exist. If Santa doesn't even know for sure if the people he delivers presents to are real or not, how can you trust him to keep proper track of naughty/nice status?

I want to have this episode's babies.

Apparently Beyonce has a song called 1+1. I can only assume that it's MATH ROCK!

A&B? ... Arithm(atic) & Blues ..

Math Dance?

The episode so nice I've now listened to it twice.
When Paul gets to throw the fleur-de-lis roulette ball in an attempt to turn his luck around, quotes Friday Night Lights, has a bad throw and is audibly faux-upset by it (to say the least! lol), oh man. I could listen to that and the Math Rock remix on a loop for forever. Lovely Calvin peeing reference too! Math rock!

Can we please get the math rock intro as a ring tone? That would be joyous.

The problem with math rock is that it has a titanically terrible name, on par with "baggy" or "shoegaze" for Critically Acclaimed Genres With Stupid Names.

The way to describe it: it's not inherently about melody, it's about the idea of patterns and using pacing and structures and rhythms that are uncommon and against the grain of what a rock song is supposed to be. If it was just thought of as "deconstructionist rock", not unlike "post-rock", eventually everyone would figure it out, and fuck 'em if they don't; you can't really say that with "math rock".

All the recent math rock attention got me thinking. Why did all the mathy music dudes only get as far as rock? Why isn't there any math pop, math reggae, math country, math disco?

Any professional musicians reading this: please get in the studio ASAP, and you can become the "founding fathers" of a brand new obscure sub-genre waiting to be milked for all its pretentious goodness!

What about a Math Boy Band?

Hm, edited to admit I don't know how to embed a video.

Ah, the Math Boy Band was undoubtedly 2GE+HER, with their hit "Calculus"

I know my calculus, it says U + Me = US

MATHROCK!

Ah, the Math Boy Band was undoubtedly 2GE+HER, with their hit "Calculus"

I know my calculus, it says U + Me = US

MATHROCK!

That's the very one, Rach. Can I call you Rach? I just did so it's moot to ask for permission afterwards.

That's the very one, Rach. Can I call you Rach? I just did so it's moot to ask for permission afterwards.

I'm a little late but I wrote a Math Rocky tune in honor of PFT's 4 Fs and 1 S (Don't know if it's the actual number but that's what they agreed upon at the end of the ep). I limited myself to only use F and E-flat, which in german is spelled Es and pronounced S, as tonal material. But because it sounded a bit dull i threw in some Cs. You get it. I had fun.

(I think soundcloud messed up my mix, sounds a bit clippy here and there, meh)

I'm a little late but I wrote a Math Rocky tune in honor of PFT's 4 Fs and 1 S (Don't know if it's the actual number but that's what they agreed upon at the end of the ep). I limited myself to only use F and E-flat, which in german is spelled Es and pronounced S, as tonal material. But because it sounded a bit dull i threw in some Cs. You get it. I had fun.

(I think soundcloud messed up my mix, sounds a bit clippy here and there, meh)

Sign in to follow this