🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 153 - Escape from L.A.: LIVE!

Oh the basketball scene...

Why count by 2's? Cuervo already changed the shot clock to 10 seconds, removed all other basketball related rules, and said "No 3 point bullshit," so why even count by twos? Just say five baskets.

Also, like Jason brought up, why dribble? Cuervo never said he had to. Its already difficult enough for Snake to successfully make a shot (he has ONE FUCKING EYE), so why insist on dribbling, a skill that wastes time and is ridiculously hard without the aid of depth perception. Maybe that's why Kurt Russell had to practice so much, he actually had figure out how to play basketball without a left eye.

And lastly, did Cuervo really build a regulation size basketball court, wood and all, in the center of the Coliseum? Seems like a waste of space and time as a basketball court is roughly 1/12 the size of a football field not including sidelines and, although I'm not from LA, isn't there a ton of other places, like the Staples Center or Pauley Pavilion, that would be more conducive to this event?

• Like 2

Jurassic Park came out in 1993, LA was 96. So even less of an excuse for the SFX to be as cheesy as they are.

Also can y'all discuss this paywall shit without throwing judgements at each other? You know, no insinuations that people are poors or immature or anything. I'm also in the arts and I get it, but we can talk about this without potshots.

• Like 3

Just wanted to say I appreciate Paul's intro at the end. I do remember hearing about this, but since so much time had passed, I'd forgotten it was a thing. I just wondered why I didn't have access to any older, unsaved episodes.

I don't think this is an issue of "paying for art". This show and others make money off the live shows and merch which I'm completely fine with. The ads can be annoying and excessive, but it's something I'm willing to put up with.

My problem with this particular paywall is the same I always have. If I'm paying for Netflix,Amazon, HBO Go/Now,Showtime, Hulu, etc, am I going to want to add another sum for podcasts that used to be free? It's one thng to add it for something like the CBB livetours, or exclusive content, but to charge me to listen to the same thing I previously had access to seems excessive. And if the Howl app is anything like the woefully buggy See-So app, then I'm not really enthused about adding another expense.

That said, I hope they get it worked out in a pleasing way.

Now to listen to the current ep while I still can.

My problem with this particular paywall is the same I always have. If I'm paying for Netflix,Amazon, HBO Go/Now,Showtime, Hulu, etc, am I going to want to add another sum for podcasts that used to be free? It's one thng to add it for something like the CBB livetours, or exclusive content, but to charge me to listen to the same thing I previously had access to seems excessive. And if the Howl app is anything like the woefully buggy See-So app, then I'm not really enthused about adding another expense.

Here's my issue with this argument, though. As people have said (as I just said), these episodes are still available--for free--online. This isn't a question of, "I don't want to pay for something I used to get for free" the real issue is, "They are no longer for free in a place that's quite as convenient for me (...and I may now have to use my Data to stream it)."

If you don't want Howl, don't get it. There are other ways of getting these episodes if you really want them.

• Like 1

This really shouldn't be causing fights or anything between us all. So forget me saying anything about it.

200.gif

• Like 4

Just wanted to say I appreciate Paul's intro at the end. I do remember hearing about this, but since so much time had passed, I'd forgotten it was a thing. I just wondered why I didn't have access to any older, unsaved episodes.

I don't think this is an issue of "paying for art". This show and others make money off the live shows and merch which I'm completely fine with. The ads can be annoying and excessive, but it's something I'm willing to put up with.

That said, I hope they get it worked out in a pleasing way.

Now to listen to the current ep while I still can.

Hulu used to be free, and now it's paid. That's how content usually works these days. Popularity first, money second (if you're lucky). PS Hosting back episodes of content costs money: servers, bandwidth, etc. The more episodes a podcast has the more it costs to save all those back episodes for your convenience.

"I don't think this is an issue of "paying for art". This show and others make money off the live shows and merch which I'm completely fine with."

I'm glad you're fine with the several thousand dollars they make a year off that; I bet it pays for a whole 1/8 of one engineer.

The entire issue with paying for art is that people think they should be able to decide, with a completely uninformed and self-serving opinion, what is a reasonable way for the artists to charge. And that generally works out really poorly for the artists.

Don't pay for the service if you don't want. Don't pay for Netflix if you don't want it. Don't expect those companies to just give you whatever you want for free because that is of course what you would prefer.

• Like 4

No one is deciding for Earwolf what to set their prices at. Yeah some people are pissed, but fucking just let them be pissed and move along. Literally all of the other points you made are valid and I agree that people are overreacting but why are we even surprised at this point. But still the whole "It's cheap!" argument is flawed cause you don't get to decide what people can afford.

Cheap is obviously an incendiary word. It can really be taken to mean different things. To me, it is objectively cheap in the sense that they aren't charging a lot compared to the costs involved and the number of people they have to pay out. I'm sure they set that number as low as they reasonably could. They aren't a conglomerate with a monopoly running at a 1000% profit.

Whether it is cheap in relation to any particular persons budget is another matter. From that perspective I'm not trying to dictate to anyone whether 5 dollars should matter to their life or not. It's still a personal decision whether the paid tier is worthwhile or affordable as an upgrade from the remaining free tier.

So I'm not looking to offend people, and I hope this isn't the next hugest flame war ever. But I do strongly believe that people who are mad about the paywall should really step back and try to examine whether it affects them negatively enough to actually be mad at Earwolf or the podcast or Midroll or anyone.

Gonna leave my computer and stop cyber-raging for a while :-X

• Like 3

If I already have subscriptions to all of these things I want why would I also get a subscription to something else I also want? It's almost like I need to do a budget and prioritize what I consume. Everything remains free for a six month window and that seems generous enough.

• Like 4

Snake Porksword?!? Snake Kickflip?!?

I'll always remember Valeria Golino from her crappy Tarzan TV show -- Because I'm awful, and can't tell her from Lydie Denier. French? Italian? Like it really matters. I have no idea who people are.

This movie has the classic trope of forcing the protagonist to be in your debt to control him or her. That's not what Crank is. The so-called Hong Kong cocktail is just to kill the guy, slowly, forcing him to do a bunch of stuff to keep alive long enough to get some kind of revenge before he dies. At no point are they promising to cure him in exchange for services. They just want him to die, but live long enough to know what they've done to him.

"Here: Just let me get my car keys."

"Wait -- You're naked. Where did you get them?"

"From my Socket Pocket."

"And now I must vomit."

Cheap is obviously an incendiary word. It can really be taken to mean different things. To me, it is objectively cheap in the sense that they aren't charging a lot compared to the costs involved and the number of people they have to pay out. I'm sure they set that number as low as they reasonably could. They aren't a conglomerate with a monopoly running at a 1000% profit.

Whether it is cheap in relation to any particular persons budget is another matter. From that perspective I'm not trying to dictate to anyone whether 5 dollars should matter to their life or not. It's still a personal decision whether the paid tier is worthwhile or affordable as an upgrade from the remaining free tier.

So I'm not looking to offend people, and I hope this isn't the next hugest flame war ever. But I do strongly believe that people who are mad about the paywall should really step back and try to examine whether it affects them negatively enough to actually be mad at Earwolf or the podcast or Midroll or anyone.

Gonna leave my computer and stop cyber-raging for a while :-X

I completely agree with you here that compared to the amount they put in this is cheap. However, that is not the way you worded your point. I appreciate your response because now I can clearly see where you are coming from and that you understand what I was saying.

There just seems to be so many people who are outraged that this is happening and people who are outraged at the outrage and then I'm over here like hey everyone has different opinions on the matter lol. Let's all hug and discuss Escape from L.A. now!

• Like 4

I can offer some unique insight here as I owned the DVD and I listened to the commentary for the ENTIRE FILM WITH JOHN CARPENTER AND HIS CO-WRITER KURT RUSSELL. They basically said that they conceptualized and wrote this film as a parody of the first film, and 80's films that were similar. The film was supposed to be a series of gags that sent up the original in a fun way for the fans. It was, according to Carpenter, a comment on how the genre was dead. The studio apparently (and according to Carpenter and Russell) did not understand and re-cut the film to remove key dialog and other elements to make the film come across as more serious and an actual effort in the genre. Still though...was that just an excuse cause they saw how bad it was? They also mentioned they wanted a running gag referring to a second unseen film, escape from cleveland, so that this film would be the third in the series--referencing the many trilogy's from the 80's.

• Like 10

There just seems to be so many people who are outraged that this is happening and people who are outraged at the outrage and then I'm over here like hey everyone has different opinions on the matter lol.

To be fair, I'm less outraged than annoyed ;)

It's like, I'm hearing all the same arguments that were made forever ago, some of which I even made myself at the time. I'm also annoyed that people keep acting like this is out of the blue when Earwolf gave people ample time to prepare. And I'm further annoyed that people feel the need to gripe at the Paul & Co when they a) probably had no say in the matter b ) might even agree, and c) probably don't care one way or the other. I think their fans are more precious of their back catalog than they will ever be.

I'm just annoyed we are still even talking about this.

I guess my problem is I've had the benefit of having come to terms with this so very, very long ago

Let's all hug and discuss Escape from L.A. now!

hug-snoopy.gif

Unfortunately, I still haven't watched the movie so this is all I've got :) But I'll gladly shut up about it now.

• Like 2

Guys, I made a HUUUUGE mistake.

As much as I try to live my life by Paul's holy gospel, I flaunted his benevolent wisdom and went ahead and watched Escape from New York first. Goddamn it. I really hope no one else did this. By the time I finally got around to watching this movie it was nigh unwatchable. It was like watching a Xerox of a Xerox that had been smeared with garbage juice and the expressed fluid from a mangy skunk's anal glands. It actually would have probably been better to watch them in reverse order. And it was just so fucking boring listening to recycled dialog that I just kept nodding off. I'm going to try to watch it again later today, but I might have to take a pass on this one...

Cameron, had you seen Escape From New York prior to this viewing? I've seen it a number of times but had never seen L.A. until a few months ago when I watched the first half hour, got tired and went to sleep, and it got taken off of Netflix before I got to finish it. From what I saw though, as Paul points out, it does appear to be the EXACT same movie; even down to the recorded speech by the kidnappers.

• Like 1

Hey Everyone

First of all, I'd love to hear more thoughts on ESCAPE FROM LA but I also figured since the debate about the paywall is happening here I wanted to post a lengthy response from the powers that be about the paywall

http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/41827-a-message-from-earwolfs-ceo-about-yesterdays-episode-de-publishing/page__pid__236195#entry236195

Edited by Paul Scheer
weird format
  • Like 13

Cameron, had you seen Escape From New York prior to this viewing? I've seen it a number of times but had never seen L.A. until a few months ago when I watched the first half hour, got tired and went to sleep, and it got taken off of Netflix before I got to finish it. From what I saw though, as Paul points out, it does appear to be the EXACT same movie; even down to the recorded speech by the kidnappers.

No, I hadn't. So I watched New York Wednesday and tried to watch LA the next day. So, it was like watching the same movie twice in a row. And with everything still fresh in my mind I was just like, "They didn't even try to change the dialog? WTF?"

I mean, I guess when I heard it was the "same movie" I thought it might be like an Evil Dead/ Evil Dead 2 situation. It was not.

• Like 2

According to Bruce Campbell's autobiography, Kurt Russel revealed himself to be an Evil Dead II fan. Upon first meeting Bruce, Kurt before saying anything else smiled and said, "Say 'workshed.'"

• Like 8

Hey Everyone

First of all, I'd love to hear more thoughts on ESCAPE FROM LA but I also figured since the debate about the paywall is happening here I wanted to post a lengthy response from the powers that be about the paywall

http://forum.earwolf...195#entry236195

Paul, I just wanted to say that I could not appreciate the hard work that you, Jason, and June have to put into this show ENOUGH! I genuinely wish I could support y'all properly.

Thank you for giving us some of the best laughs ever and creating this community.

• Like 9

Zombi's main influence is a band called Goblin who did the music for a bunch of movies by Dario Argento, whom Carpenter is a big fan of. And yes, they fucking RULE!

• Like 3

Paul, I just wanted to say that I could not appreciate the hard work that you, Jason, and June have to put into this show ENOUGH! I genuinely wish I could support y'all properly.

Thank you for giving us some of the best laughs ever and creating this community.

Now that the paywall debate is over, can we talk about what a kiss-ass taylor anne is?

• Like 7

Now that the paywall debate is over, can we talk about what a kiss-ass taylor anne is?

tumblr_lva2mfXxQF1qdjtxa.gif

Paul: Hey, guys. Please talk about the movie, okay? I really don't want to deal with this bullshit. If you want to bitch, I guess go here...

Taylor Anne: OMG! Mr Scheer! Mr Scheer! I usually don't get so flustered, but it's you! Y'know? You! I probably sound so stupid...Do I? You know what--don't answer that. It's just, like, Oh My God. I love you. I'm mean, I don't "Love" you...but I really like you a lot, it kind of seems like...real. I don't know. Like...we could just spoon on the couch and watch crappy movies together... nothing weird or anything. Totally platonic. And we could do some quality cuddling...'quaddling?' Argh...I'm such a flake. I guess, you do that to me. A bit. Anyway...I just want you to know, I think you're really, really, really great...and handsome.

I love you Taylor Anne :)

• Like 6