🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 153 - Escape from L.A.: LIVE!

i just remembered this post and that i'd explain it .. i called it a LANGER of a movie because of A.J. Langer's (or should i say the countess of devon's?) surname. I never really knew her name but she was listed second in the credits and when i saw that it was Langer i gave out a little giggle .. you know the type of stupid giggle when you see something and you're really tired and you know it's really juvenile but you just cant help yourself ... i'll get to the point

the area i'm from is known for it's slang and one of the more famous words is Langer (pronounced Lang - er .. as in Bang - er). it has 3 meanings ..

1. Langers - drunk e.g. "Yer man was falling around langers last night" meaning he was so drunk he was finding it hard to even stand

2. Langer - Annoying/foolish person or anyone you don't like e.g if someone says/does something that annoys you "You're some langer bouy!" ... so that's why this movie was some langer

3. Langer - Penis e.g. the ball hit me square in me langer .. got hit by a ball in the groin area

well i did say this was juvenile ... but it got me laughing afterwards because it reminded me of a joke we used to tell as kids.

the golfer Bernard Langer was at the top of his game when i was a kid and when the British/American commentators said his name they pronounced it "Long - er" ... that's probably the correct pronunciation but not here .. to us he was Bernard Lang-er

so the joke went and i'm sorry about this:

"What happened Bernard Langer when he played in America?"

"His Lang-er became Long-er"

now i know that's not funny but when we were kids and with our cork accents and pronunciation ... we were on the floor laughing

i hate this song but it is the only video i could find with a pronunciation close to a real cork accent. even though it's more of a piss take i'll just use it for illustrative purposes ... i tried to share it at the word Langer so you don't need to listen to the rest of it's awfulness . around the 28 second mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m9SsNxbZxM&feature=youtu.be&t=28s

I hope your happy now, you made june cry..

2hfsz9x.jpg

• Like 1

I understand that they were making jokes, but seriously--some days--I wish someone would handcuff me to the treadmill.

• Like 3

Oh man, I finally caught up with everything just now. Glad there's some good movie discussion going on!

My roommate and I watched the movie on Sunday and we honestly didn't think it was that bad for what it was, in a "we've seen worse" sort of approach. I mean obviously the plot is recycled, the effects are awful, etc, but it wasn't so outlandishly bizarre to make it easy to really tear apart.

We were hoping for some stronger synth music though, so that was disappointing.

I thought Kurt Russel looked pretty good too compared to himself in Escape from New York, except for:

1. Not attractive with the shirt off

2. The horrible lighting in the sub highlighted every wrinkle on his face

Also agree that Cleveland sounds like a much more exciting story.

Also agree that giving Snake a virus which would more likely HINDER his ability to perform his given task is a really stupid idea. And those weak coughs were pathetic.

So yeah, I don't have anything too outstanding to say. We enjoyed it for the bad movie it was, then immediately after watched Prince of Darkness lol.

I'm looking forward to Surf Ninjas. I'm pretty sure I rented that on more than one occasion as a child. I don't remember it, so I'm looking forward to revisiting that embarrassment.

On that topic, for those of you with letterboxd accounts... do you include movies you know you watched when you were younger, even if you don't remember them?

• Like 5

On that topic, for those of you with letterboxd accounts... do you include movies you know you watched when you were younger, even if you don't remember them?

If I genuinely can't remember even having seen it then no. Like I know I've seen Dumbo but I can't remember a single detail nor when that happened so I don't include it. Bambi I remember seeing but I think I immediately blocked it out of my child brain so I still include it but I genuinely can't remember that movie past his mother dying lol.

• Like 4

I started mine as a way to track movies I watched for the DLM Challenge. I usually only add stuff as I watch it (to try to go through and log every movie I've seen in the past would be a ridiculously laborious task), but if I've seen it before - even if I don't always remember all of it - I'll usually mark it as having seen it previously.

• Like 2

I just started my account, but I'm kind of with Taylor Anne. Like I KNOW I've seen The Aristocats, but I couldn't tell you anything about it.

That being said, you're all more than welcome to follow my boring, boring account in which I write zero reviews and attempt the DLM challenge for 2017--which I will most likely fail spectacularly.

• Like 3

Like I KNOW I've seen The Aristocats, but I couldn't tell you anything about it.

OKAY YOU NEED TO WATCH THE ARISTOCATS THO

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Thanks! What I ended up doing was moving the old movies I know I've seen but can't remember to their own list and removing them from my watched. Since I don't want to completely forget that I at least SAW them. I probably missed some, since I'm in a hurry to finish so I can go to work lol I'll double check later.

I added my letterboxd url to my profile in case anyone wants to friend me, I'll friend back.

Off to work for now. If I have any bad customers I'll just be thinking of Snake Plissken's hair.

• Like 2

OKAY YOU NEED TO WATCH THE ARISTOCATS THO

giphy.gif

I know...when Hunter wakes me up at 4AM tomorrow maybe I'll watch that instead of just staring at him in the dark with eyes full of resentment.

Cameron H. = World's Best Dad

• Like 5

Thanks! What I ended up doing was moving the old movies I know I've seen but can't remember to their own list and removing them from my watched. Since I don't want to completely forget that I at least SAW them. I probably missed some, since I'm in a hurry to finish so I can go to work lol I'll double check later.

I added my letterboxd url to my profile in case anyone wants to friend me, I'll friend back.

Off to work for now. If I have any bad customers I'll just be thinking of Snake Plissken's hair.

I just joined letterboxd too. I have no idea what's going on but I'm just blindly clicking on things I've seen and it seems to be going well. My username is shaksper (for some reason I didn't use that when i started posting here) so feel free to add me. I've added Jammerlea but have no way of finding anyone else since I don't know your usernames and am too busy blindly clicking to look them up!

• Like 1

Taylor Anne and Jammerlea, consider yourselves Letterboxd followed...

I'll be keeping an eye on both of your watching habits so make sure you don't watch anything too embarrassing. If you do, I will come right back here and make fun of you in front of everyone...

tumblr_m3kg4mB58v1r0livmo3_r1_500.gif

• Like 2

I just joined letterboxd too. I have no idea what's going on but I'm just blindly clicking on things I've seen and it seems to be going well. My username is shaksper (for some reason I didn't use that when i started posting here) so feel free to add me. I've added Jammerlea but have no way of finding anyone else since I don't know your usernames and am too busy blindly clicking to look them up!

And...now I'm following you!

giphy.gif

Soon, very soon indeed, the cup of my Letterboxd followers shall runneth over! And as I gather these souls friends, so too shall my power increase! People will one day look upon my Letterboxd account, take inventory of their dirty, dystopian lives, and despair. "This! This is where it began!" they shall whisper in the shadows. And me--always the benevolent ruler--shall look down upon you all with paternal indulgence and say, "Yes, my children. This is where it began...Now, have you watch Rockula as I have commanded."

• Like 2

Um... what's Letterbox?

Um...It's "Letterboxd," Cam Bert. Let's all point and laugh at Cam Bert! He doesn't know things!

GIF--laughing-funny-LOL-haha-hehe-hilarious-fun-happy-laugh-George-Takei-GIF.gif

Follow me, Cam Bert :)

• Like 2

Um...It's "Letterboxd," Cam Bert. Let's all point and laugh at Cam Bert! He doesn't know things!

XRpwx.gif

• Like 2

Thanks for the follows! I followed back. Now back to work for a bit longer. So far I've only had to think about Snake's hair once this evening.

• Like 1

Okay, I have drank the Kool-Aid as well and just signed up for this letter box thing. Figured I'd use the same username as here if anybody wants to look me up. So, I think I understand this. I just add every movie I can remember having seen, right? This could take some time...

• Like 2

Okay, I have drank the Kool-Aid as well and just signed up for this letter box thing. Figured I'd use the same username as here if anybody wants to look me up. So, I think I understand this. I just add every movie I can remember having seen, right? This could take some time...

If it's easier, you can go to "Films" and browse by year, genre, etc. And it will bring you up a big-ass wall of movies, and you can click the little eye that appears when you hover over it to say you've seen it, if you want to do it that way.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

You are followed.

• Like 2

I want to sign up just to see what other gifs Cameron H posts.

tumblr_inline_mlogyieErr1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 5

JammerLea, I'm just wondering how there are so many iconic movies you DON'T remember!

Do you and June have the same movie erasing disorder!?

• Like 3

JammerLea, I'm just wondering how there are so many iconic movies you DON'T remember!

Do you and June have the same movie erasing disorder!?

Seriously. Who doesn't remember the Tim Allen classic Jungle2Jungle?!

I've never seen that piece of shit

• Like 3