Episode 153 - Escape from L.A.: LIVE!

324 replies to this topic

#41 AdamCDriggers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

I can offer some unique insight here as I owned the DVD and I listened to the commentary for the ENTIRE FILM WITH JOHN CARPENTER AND HIS CO-WRITER KURT RUSSELL. They basically said that they conceptualized and wrote this film as a parody of the first film, and 80's films that were similar. The film was supposed to be a series of gags that sent up the original in a fun way for the fans. It was, according to Carpenter, a comment on how the genre was dead. The studio apparently (and according to Carpenter and Russell) did not understand and re-cut the film to remove key dialog and other elements to make the film come across as more serious and an actual effort in the genre. Still though...was that just an excuse cause they saw how bad it was? They also mentioned they wanted a running gag referring to a second unseen film, escape from cleveland, so that this film would be the third in the series--referencing the many trilogy's from the 80's.

#42 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 06 January 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

There just seems to be so many people who are outraged that this is happening and people who are outraged at the outrage and then I'm over here like hey everyone has different opinions on the matter lol.

To be fair, I'm less outraged than annoyed ;)

It's like, I'm hearing all the same arguments that were made forever ago, some of which I even made myself at the time. I'm also annoyed that people keep acting like this is out of the blue when Earwolf gave people ample time to prepare. And I'm further annoyed that people feel the need to gripe at the Paul & Co when they a) probably had no say in the matter b ) might even agree, and c) probably don't care one way or the other. I think their fans are more precious of their back catalog than they will ever be.

I'm just annoyed we are still even talking about this.

I guess my problem is I've had the benefit of having come to terms with this so very, very long ago

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 06 January 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

Let's all hug and discuss Escape from L.A. now!

Posted Image

Unfortunately, I still haven't watched the movie so this is all I've got :) But I'll gladly shut up about it now.
Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#43 Judas_Priestly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

View PostCameron H., on 06 January 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

Guys, I made a HUUUUGE mistake.

As much as I try to live my life by Paul's holy gospel, I flaunted his benevolent wisdom and went ahead and watched Escape from New York first. Goddamn it. I really hope no one else did this. By the time I finally got around to watching this movie it was nigh unwatchable. It was like watching a Xerox of a Xerox that had been smeared with garbage juice and the expressed fluid from a mangy skunk's anal glands. It actually would have probably been better to watch them in reverse order. And it was just so fucking boring listening to recycled dialog that I just kept nodding off. I'm going to try to watch it again later today, but I might have to take a pass on this one...

Cameron, had you seen Escape From New York prior to this viewing? I've seen it a number of times but had never seen L.A. until a few months ago when I watched the first half hour, got tired and went to sleep, and it got taken off of Netflix before I got to finish it. From what I saw though, as Paul points out, it does appear to be the EXACT same movie; even down to the recorded speech by the kidnappers.
I will always hear you.

#44 Paul Scheer

HDTGM Host

• Host
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

Hey Everyone
First of all, I'd love to hear more thoughts on ESCAPE FROM LA but I also figured since the debate about the paywall is happening here I wanted to post a lengthy response from the powers that be about the paywall

http://forum.earwolf...195#entry236195

Edited by Paul Scheer, 06 January 2017 - 12:42 PM.
weird format

#45 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

View PostJack Frost, on 06 January 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

Cameron, had you seen Escape From New York prior to this viewing? I've seen it a number of times but had never seen L.A. until a few months ago when I watched the first half hour, got tired and went to sleep, and it got taken off of Netflix before I got to finish it. From what I saw though, as Paul points out, it does appear to be the EXACT same movie; even down to the recorded speech by the kidnappers.

No, I hadn't. So I watched New York Wednesday and tried to watch LA the next day. So, it was like watching the same movie twice in a row. And with everything still fresh in my mind I was just like, "They didn't even try to change the dialog? WTF?"

I mean, I guess when I heard it was the "same movie" I thought it might be like an Evil Dead/ Evil Dead 2 situation. It was not.
Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#46 Judas_Priestly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:51 PM

According to Bruce Campbell's autobiography, Kurt Russel revealed himself to be an Evil Dead II fan. Upon first meeting Bruce, Kurt before saying anything else smiled and said, "Say 'workshed.'"
I will always hear you.

#47 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

View PostPaul Scheer, on 06 January 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

Hey Everyone
First of all, I'd love to hear more thoughts on ESCAPE FROM LA but I also figured since the debate about the paywall is happening here I wanted to post a lengthy response from the powers that be about the paywall

http://forum.earwolf...195#entry236195

Paul, I just wanted to say that I could not appreciate the hard work that you, Jason, and June have to put into this show ENOUGH! I genuinely wish I could support y'all properly.

Thank you for giving us some of the best laughs ever and creating this community.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#48 Judas_Priestly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:12 PM

Zombi's main influence is a band called Goblin who did the music for a bunch of movies by Dario Argento, whom Carpenter is a big fan of. And yes, they fucking RULE!
I will always hear you.

#49 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 06 January 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Paul, I just wanted to say that I could not appreciate the hard work that you, Jason, and June have to put into this show ENOUGH! I genuinely wish I could support y'all properly.

Thank you for giving us some of the best laughs ever and creating this community.

Now that the paywall debate is over, can we talk about what a kiss-ass taylor anne is?
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#50 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 06 January 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

Now that the paywall debate is over, can we talk about what a kiss-ass taylor anne is?

Posted Image

Paul: Hey, guys. Please talk about the movie, okay? I really don't want to deal with this bullshit. If you want to bitch, I guess go here...

Taylor Anne: OMG! Mr Scheer! Mr Scheer! I usually don't get so flustered, but it's you! Y'know? You! I probably sound so stupid...Do I? You know what--don't answer that. It's just, like, Oh My God. I love you. I'm mean, I don't "Love" you...but I really like you a lot, it kind of seems like...real. I don't know. Like...we could just spoon on the couch and watch crappy movies together... nothing weird or anything. Totally platonic. And we could do some quality cuddling...'quaddling?' Argh...I'm such a flake. I guess, you do that to me. A bit. Anyway...I just want you to know, I think you're really, really, really great...and handsome.

Spoiler

Body Rock (1984)

La La Land (2016)

#51 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 06 January 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

They announced that Howl was going to put archives behind a pay wall at some point in the future on Comedy Bang Bang in August 2015. All the Howl ads have mentioned it for over a year. I'm not sure how much more notice they could have given.

i genuinely only remember hearing about it once. but i do kinda zone out during the ad breaks. none of them are really relevant to me over here.

View PostCameron H., on 06 January 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

It's like, I'm hearing all the same arguments that were made forever ago, some of which I even made myself at the time. I'm also annoyed that people keep acting like this is out of the blue when Earwolf gave people ample time to prepare.

I guess my problem is I've had the benefit of having come to terms with this so very, very long ago

Unfortunately, I still haven't watched the movie so this is all I've got :) But I'll gladly shut up about it now.

the only thing that got me was how it was done. (and that was addressed in the other thread paul linked to). i remember the announcement last year but haven't heard anything since.

i think if paul, june and jason were surprised by it then it is fair for people who may not have heard that mini (maybe it was an actual episode, cant remember) to be surprised and bad surprises get peoples backs up ... but what content providers do with their content is literally their own business so i'm fine with the pay wall. thinking about it, 6 months of content is actually generous but if you're only just discovering HDTGM or CBB etc then i can see why people would be a upset.

and i think the initial shock/anger is dying down now too. twitter has relaxed reddit have probably found something else to take their frustrations out on ... i love the fact that one of the founders of reddit is marrying serena williams ... how much of punch in the balls must that be to the lower life forms on there ..

i just pity poor paul ... hope he didnt have to get up from his sick floor bed to deal with all this.

Posted Image

i love june even more for posting this ...

and like you i still need to watch Escape from LA. i tried last night but thanks to the mini i ended up listening to feel good music till well after midnight. and i went off on another tangent today. john carpenter music ... am i going to be disappointed if i hope there is something like the assault on precinct 13 theme is escape from LA? .. probably right?

i love this ... has a real sinister feel .. you know trouble is coming ... the man done good work

#52 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:11 PM

Posted Image

Remember we're all wall-to-wall weirdos.

Also, when are Socket Lockets going to be avail in the Earwolf store?

#53 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 06 January 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

i just pity poor paul ... hope he didnt have to get up from his sick floor bed to deal with all this.

Posted Image

i love june even more for posting this ...

LOL--Poor Paul! Me and my two boys had it a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, it passes pretty fast. Get well soon, Paul! You're the absolute bee's knees...

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 06 January 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

and like you i still need to watch Escape from LA. i tried last night but thanks to the mini i ended up listening to feel good music till well after midnight. and i went off on another tangent today. john carpenter music ... am i going to be disappointed if i hope there is something like the assault on precinct 13 theme is escape from LA? .. probably right?

God! That's another thing I'm annoyed at. I really tried my best to deflect the negativity yesterday, and I thought we had gotten through it. Ugh! If only...

Here's another feel good song since it's starting to seem less and less likely that I'm going to watch this stupid movie:

(Note: The song is only feel good if you don't think of a certain animal getting swallowed by a certain swamp...)
Body Rock (1984)

La La Land (2016)

#54 StickyKeys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

Are the Taylor Ann shots a joke, because that seems super rude? Also, it's exactly what some of y'all have been doing with the whole "THEY SHED BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS FOR THIS PODCAST AND YOU WON'T GIVE THEM $5?!?!?!" so....

Also, this whole argument dismissal of "if you don't like it, don't do it" didn't work in third grade, and isn't going to work now. I have an opinion that I shared (not even at the degradation of anyone else's) and it was valid. Also, the issue wasn't that I couldn't get the eps, but that they charged for what once was free. It was a crappy situation when Hulu did it (which I just cancelled btw) and it was crappy the way they're doing it now (which they know and are working on, I know). Just because it's happening or is inevitable doesn't mean I have to like it.

ALL OF THAT SAID!

Man, this audience was something else, wasn't it? Snake Stiltskin really brings out the weird in people.

#55 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:25 PM

View PostStickyKeys, on 06 January 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

Are the Taylor Ann shots a joke, because that seems super rude? Also, it's exactly what some of y'all have been doing with the whole "THEY SHED BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS FOR THIS PODCAST AND YOU WON'T GIVE THEM $5?!?!?!" so....

My wife calls Taylor Anne my Internet wife. Taylor Anne, Fister, and I have been friends for years. We're just kidding. Trust me, she'll get me back when she can.

I will always have Taylor Anne's back.
Body Rock (1984)

La La Land (2016)

#56 Judas_Priestly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

View PostCameron H., on 06 January 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

(Note: The song is only feel good if you don't think of a certain animal getting swallowed by a certain swamp...)

You do remember Judas Priestly's anecdote about movie scenes that make you cry, right? But yeah, this song instantly makes me feel happy. And to 'scenes that make me cry,' you can add like half of E.T.
I will always hear you.

#57 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 06 January 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

Posted Image

View PostCameron H., on 06 January 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#58 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

View PostStickyKeys, on 06 January 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

Oh man yeah these guys and me have been doing this to each other for far too long now for me not to understand their jokes lol. I appreciate other members sticking up for me though! But I promise you our banter is nothing more than that lol.

Posted Image

#59 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

So...seriously. Does anyone have anything to say about Escape from LA?
Body Rock (1984)

La La Land (2016)

#60 H.P.Hovercraft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

I have only one problem with this movie: who is maintaining the stadium lights in LA Memorial Coliseum for all their sessions of Murder H.O.R.S.E.?

Great ep!