🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 153 - Escape from L.A.: LIVE!

They announced that Howl was going to put archives behind a pay wall at some point in the future on Comedy Bang Bang in August 2015. All the Howl ads have mentioned it for over a year. I'm not sure how much more notice they could have given.

i genuinely only remember hearing about it once. but i do kinda zone out during the ad breaks. none of them are really relevant to me over here.

It's like, I'm hearing all the same arguments that were made forever ago, some of which I even made myself at the time. I'm also annoyed that people keep acting like this is out of the blue when Earwolf gave people ample time to prepare.

I guess my problem is I've had the benefit of having come to terms with this so very, very long ago

Unfortunately, I still haven't watched the movie so this is all I've got :) But I'll gladly shut up about it now.

the only thing that got me was how it was done. (and that was addressed in the other thread paul linked to). i remember the announcement last year but haven't heard anything since.

i think if paul, june and jason were surprised by it then it is fair for people who may not have heard that mini (maybe it was an actual episode, cant remember) to be surprised and bad surprises get peoples backs up ... but what content providers do with their content is literally their own business so i'm fine with the pay wall. thinking about it, 6 months of content is actually generous but if you're only just discovering HDTGM or CBB etc then i can see why people would be a upset.

and i think the initial shock/anger is dying down now too. twitter has relaxed reddit have probably found something else to take their frustrations out on ... i love the fact that one of the founders of reddit is marrying serena williams ... how much of punch in the balls must that be to the lower life forms on there ..

i just pity poor paul ... hope he didnt have to get up from his sick floor bed to deal with all this.

2vv99he.jpg

i love june even more for posting this ...

and like you i still need to watch Escape from LA. i tried last night but thanks to the mini i ended up listening to feel good music till well after midnight. and i went off on another tangent today. john carpenter music ... am i going to be disappointed if i hope there is something like the assault on precinct 13 theme is escape from LA? .. probably right?

i love this ... has a real sinister feel .. you know trouble is coming ... the man done good work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGME6jCwqw0

• Like 5

c327f68171ee3ababdb90a6b7ff02228.gif

Remember we're all wall-to-wall weirdos.

Also, when are Socket Lockets going to be avail in the Earwolf store?

• Like 6

i just pity poor paul ... hope he didnt have to get up from his sick floor bed to deal with all this.

2vv99he.jpg

i love june even more for posting this ...

LOL--Poor Paul! Me and my two boys had it a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, it passes pretty fast. Get well soon, Paul! You're the absolute bee's knees...

and like you i still need to watch Escape from LA. i tried last night but thanks to the mini i ended up listening to feel good music till well after midnight. and i went off on another tangent today. john carpenter music ... am i going to be disappointed if i hope there is something like the assault on precinct 13 theme is escape from LA? .. probably right?

God! That's another thing I'm annoyed at. I really tried my best to deflect the negativity yesterday, and I thought we had gotten through it. Ugh! If only...

Here's another feel good song since it's starting to seem less and less likely that I'm going to watch this stupid movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf1WT8VEZxk

(Note: The song is only feel good if you don't think of a certain animal getting swallowed by a certain swamp...)

• Like 5

Are the Taylor Ann shots a joke, because that seems super rude? Also, it's exactly what some of y'all have been doing with the whole "THEY SHED BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS FOR THIS PODCAST AND YOU WON'T GIVE THEM $5?!?!?!" so....

Also, this whole argument dismissal of "if you don't like it, don't do it" didn't work in third grade, and isn't going to work now. I have an opinion that I shared (not even at the degradation of anyone else's) and it was valid. Also, the issue wasn't that I couldn't get the eps, but that they charged for what once was free. It was a crappy situation when Hulu did it (which I just cancelled btw) and it was crappy the way they're doing it now (which they know and are working on, I know). Just because it's happening or is inevitable doesn't mean I have to like it.

ALL OF THAT SAID!

Man, this audience was something else, wasn't it? Snake Stiltskin really brings out the weird in people.

Are the Taylor Ann shots a joke, because that seems super rude? Also, it's exactly what some of y'all have been doing with the whole "THEY SHED BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS FOR THIS PODCAST AND YOU WON'T GIVE THEM $5?!?!?!" so....

My wife calls Taylor Anne my Internet wife. Taylor Anne, Fister, and I have been friends for years. We're just kidding. Trust me, she'll get me back when she can.

I will always have Taylor Anne's back.

• Like 5

(Note: The song is only feel good if you don't think of a certain animal getting swallowed by a certain swamp...)

You do remember Judas Priestly's anecdote about movie scenes that make you cry, right? But yeah, this song instantly makes me feel happy. And to 'scenes that make me cry,' you can add like half of E.T.

• Like 2

Now that the paywall debate is over, can we talk about what a kiss-ass taylor anne is?

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30879-1428692190-25.gif

tumblr_lva2mfXxQF1qdjtxa.gif

secs.gif

• Like 10

Oh man yeah these guys and me have been doing this to each other for far too long now for me not to understand their jokes lol. I appreciate other members sticking up for me though! But I promise you our banter is nothing more than that lol.

OgcFa.gif

• Like 3

So...seriously. Does anyone have anything to say about Escape from LA?

• Like 4

I have only one problem with this movie: who is maintaining the stadium lights in LA Memorial Coliseum for all their sessions of Murder H.O.R.S.E.?

Great ep!

• Like 5

So this episode answered the question "what would HDTGM be like if everyone in the audience was drunk"? Thanks, Largo. Amazing ep. I mean just Blake Plissken alone would be Howdy worthy. Now we've got the return of sleeping audience members and douchey hats, and Paul mispronouncing everyone's name now--not just ours.

I thought Blake Plissken's joke was "I thought you'd be taller" from the movie on Jason as "I thought you'd be funnier". I got the reference, everyone seemed to take it as an insult. I feel bad for him, I thought it was pretty funny.

Now that you say it, that makes sense. But I think Blake needs to work on his delivery. He didn't land it.

And in D'Arcy's defense, she said she thought the effects in "Jurassic Park" were real when she was in junior high. well a lot of people don't have the junior high defense and accused Steven Spielberg of "killing a triceratops" in 2014. I guess some people thought it was

But like, people are really dumb.
  • Like 6

I have a ton to say about this movie but I genuinely haven't been able to listen to the episode yet lol

• Like 6

Well, I'd read an interview with Carpenter once where he said they were going to bridge the two films with comic books, but when I WikiPedia'd the comics it doesn't seem like it deals with any of the stuff that happened in Cleveland so I decided not to submit it as an Omiision.

• Like 1

Watching tonight! And haven't made Cameron's mistake of watching the first one yet. Ack I HATE having a new HDTGM ep sitting in my queue, unable to be heard because I haven't got to the film yet...

• Like 3

Now that you say it, that makes sense. But I think Blake needs to work on his delivery. He didn't land it.

I think it was Dan who *almost* got it. He said questioned whether it was possible Blake was staying in character, but I'm still surprised nobody--not the team nor anyone in the audience--made the connection between the "I thought you'd be bigger" refrain in the movie and what Blake was doing. But, yes, his delivery was...well, Snake-like. Kudos to him for not breaking character to explain what he was doing though.

• Like 2

By the way, I know it was said as a joke, but I'll gladly talk about the paywall but I really don't have much more to add then what I said at the top of the show. We are in the process of changing it and once HDTGM and suits can agree on a compromise that works then I feel like it will be a better discussion because what's happened this week isn't the way it will stay.

Until then I'm going on facebook and Twitter and reporting Speilberg to PETA for killing a fucking dinosaur. THAT MONSTER!

(I also agree Blake was going for a joke but it was too left of center to get it in the moment.)

• Like 14

The CGI in this movie is so bad that I have a theory that the Escape movies take place in the same universe as Who Framed Roger Rabbit but take place long after earthquakes destroyed Toon Town. The only things that remain are helicopters, sharks, and that mini sub.

• Like 2

It is fairly well known that the budget on LA was cut from 75 million to 50 right before filming began.

Of that 50 million, over to 15 went to Russell and Carpenter alone.

So now you're making a sci-if action film for 30 million or so, hence the cheap effects.

Also, Carpenter was just burnt out in the 90s. The twin failures of The Thing and Big Trouble at the box office took years off his fast ball.

• Like 4

A small but pointless piece of trivia. Snake Plissken's outfit served as inspiration for former WWE Champion, Seth Rollins' ring gear when the company decided to make him a singles wrestler.

Snake-Plissken-Escape-From-New-York-LA-Kurt-Russell-c.jpg

caa3ace25ccbf75914aaf77820bd483d.jpg

Is that real?

I thought I made that up in my head because its such a dead on comparison.

• Like 1

It is fairly well known that the budget on LA was cut from 75 million to 50 right before filming began.

Of that 50 million, over to 15 went to Russell and Carpenter alone.

So now you're making a sci-if action film for 30 million or so, hence the cheap effects.

Also, Carpenter was just burnt out in the 90s. The twin failures of The Thing and Big Trouble at the box office took years off his fast ball.

I am really hoping that Blake Harris's interview for this movie is with someone on the studio side because I am really curious what the thinking was behind the budget for this movie. If it is true they initially planned for $75M that seems beyond crazy to me. As you mention Carpenter hadn't been lighting it up at the box office. And Russell was coming off Stargate? Which I guess was a success but not a huge one. So why are they saying they'll give $75M to make a sequel to Escape from NY which had a lifetime gross of about $45M in 1996 dollars.

• Like 1

Its very underrated and I think Overboard took some of its juice.

'Overboard' came out quite a bit before 'Capt Ron' but regardless LOVE Capt Ron. 'Overboard' I loved as a kid but as an adult am EXTREMELY skeeved by the plot (sorry Garry Marshall)

• Like 1

i just finished it .. wow .. i have so many questions .. its 0030hrs here now so the episode will have to wait till tomorrow ... hopefully most of them get addressed cause it was a mess. or as we say around here ... its a LANGER of a movie ... that's a really juvenile joke that i might explain tomorrow and ill probably apologise for it then too but right now i'm giggling cause i'm really tired

• Like 2

The film was a passion project for Russell as Snake was favorite character. He brought Carpenter and Debra Hill to the project and it was greenlit as he had a decent streak going: Backdraft, Unlawful Entry, Tombstone, Stagate and Executive Decision. I also read somewhere that Sherry Lansing, head of Paramount at the time, was a big Escape From NY fan.

• Like 4