🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 2 (Tomspanks' Choice)

Does everyone go through a The Who phase?

Oddly as much as I love classic rock, The Who were one of the bands I just didn't get. They had the odd song I liked but that was about it. I think it's also because my father didn't care for them, so it was easier for me to get into bands he enjoyed. I'll never forget the day I told him that CCR was pretty good and that became like cart blanche for him to play it in the car all the time.

That said, I look forward to Tommy because I've never seen it either.

• Like 5

As we move further and further from the 1970s, I feel this musical number will be invaluable in explaining the era to future generations. When telling children what the 1970s were like, we can show them this and say, "it was a time when THIS could happen, in all its sequined glory."

• Like 4

When telling children what the 1970s were like, we can show them this and say, "it was a time when THIS could happen, in all its sequined glory."

I think this could also apply to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

• Like 4

I hope your wife comes around on Tommy. Is her problem with Tommy anything specific or is it just a general hatred? :lol:

Also, there's nothing wrong with a little Bon Jovi.

Mainly the whole Uncle Ernie thing...

I want it to be Monday so we can talk about this.

I..I...just don't know what to say. Oops. I turned away for a second and now something 70's and weird is happening. Is that a sex robot? Better get back to it...

I just finished watching this... Yea Uncle Ernie... I guess I will save my thoughts on that wonderful topic for another few days and a few cold showers

• Like 1

On one hand, I feel bad about forcing this on you good people. On the other hand, I can't wait to read your thoughts on this crazy movie.

• Like 3

Don't feel bad at all. I will admit this a bit early, I wasn't a fan of the film, but it's not so awful that I regret having seen it. Between the music and the visuals I was never bored, so it's not a slog of a movie.

• Like 2

I managed 25 minutes on my first sitting and then my wife breezed through and told me what was coming up for Tommy and his uncle and if I was interested in watching the rest she'd watch something else downstairs. So, I paused rather than abandon her and I'll return to it later. It's pretty... um... something... so far?

Oliver Reed singing. Oh boy. I'll watch the rest soon, promise!

• Like 2

I managed 25 minutes on my first sitting and then my wife breezed through and told me what was coming up for Tommy and his uncle and if I was interested in watching the rest she'd watch something else downstairs. So, I paused rather than abandon her and I'll return to it later. It's pretty... um... something... so far?

Oliver Reed singing. Oh boy. I'll watch the rest soon, promise!

You two should have went ahead and watched Hedwig :)

• Like 1

You two should have went ahead and watched Hedwig :)

We watched Sing Street instead!

• Like 3

We watched Sing Street instead!

I've watched that twice in the past couple weeks! It is currently my favorite movie!

• Like 2

For the longest time, I thought Sing Street was a Green Day movie. Tell me that the kid on the movie poster doesn't look like Billie Joe.

• Like 2

Sing Street is the kind of movie that makes me jealous.

Tom, do you want me to create tomorrow's thread or do you want to? I don't want to step on your toes.

• Like 1

Sing Street is the kind of movie that makes me jealous.

Tom, do you want me to create tomorrow's thread or do you want to? I don't want to step on your toes.

Please go ahead and create the thread. I know you can't wait :)

ETA: Why are you jealous of a movie??

• Like 1

ETA: Why are you jealous of a movie??

It's the kind of thing I wish I had written. It's just so full of joy without being saccharine or schmaltzy.

It meant a lot to me as a father with two boys (the "happy-sad" ending totally made me cry), as a teenager who was more interested in reading and writing than football, and as a kid who started a band with other like-minded individuals. I'm also a sucker for, "The World-Be-Damned, I'm doing this," underdog stories.

I thought Sing Street was just okay

I abjure thee, Lucifer!

tumblr_m7nc3aEhcp1qkm4qqo1_500.gif

• Like 1

I abjure thee, Lucifer!

Here's what I loved

I loved the band, I loved the relationship he had with his brother, I loved seeing the sister take a totally different approach to getting the fuck out of that situation, I loved seeing how being Irish Catholic fucked them up so bad

Here's what ruined a lot of that for me

That fuckin' romance. Did not care for it at all.

• Like 2

Here's what I loved

I loved the band, I loved the relationship he had with his brother, I loved seeing the sister take a totally different approach to getting the fuck out of that situation, I loved seeing how being Irish Catholic fucked them up so bad

Here's what ruined a lot of that for me

That fuckin' romance. Did not care for it at all.

What was wrong with the romance?

What was wrong with the romance?

Eh I didn't feel a connection between the actors like at all, or at least on her side. Like I believed that he was very much infatuated with her, but I didn't feel anything from her and that just kinda made me sad. So the whole time they're showing them together I just didn't buy it. And it's a huge chunk of the movie. I noticed I started checking out every time they were on screen together just waiting for the more interesting parts to happen again.

Still I thought it was a good movie, but not great for me. I loved his other two films a whole lot so I'm even surprised at my own opinion about this lol.

• Like 2

That being said, at the time, she didn't really know what Tommy was about. I explained it to her, and since then, she has simply been unable to listen to it. In fact, when I told her that this was Tom's pick she specifically said, "I refuse! I R-E-F-U-S-E!" She fucking spelled at me guys...

I can definitely see now why she wouldn't watch this movie. I am only half way through and already quite unsettled lol.

• Like 2

Eh I didn't feel a connection between the actors like at all, or at least on her side. Like I believed that he was very much infatuated with her, but I didn't feel anything from her and that just kinda made me sad. So the whole time they're showing them together I just didn't buy it. And it's a huge chunk of the movie. I noticed I started checking out every time they were on screen together just waiting for the more interesting parts to happen again.

Like, I get that, but I feel like that was kind of the point. She was his muse, and usually, a muse is someone unattainable, and that's because real life can too often shatter the perception of perfection. He even brings it up at some point when he's explaining one of his lyrics. He says something like, "Before you get to know someone, they can be anything. Getting to know them them ruins that illusion because you realize that they are just people with their own problems."

I like her journey as someone who is closed off, but eventually allows him in as being quite genuine. I also appreciate how he grows from "she's perfect," to "ugh-she's not perfect," to "she's not perfect, but I love her anyway." The way I read it, the movie essentially saying that to have a muse is pretty selfish because it confines the person of your affection into an unreasonable mold.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this