🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 153.5 - Minisode 153.5

How far did Snake Plissken travel in Escape From L.A.? Where did all the Quiznos in Las Vegas go? These questions are answered as well as what our next movie will be in our trilogy of bad sequels. Paul also goes through Corrections and Omissions for Escape From L.A., Blake J. Harris interviews Escape From L.A. original screenwriter Coleman Luck (go to www.slashfilm.com to read the whole thing), and the Movie Bitches review Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Plus, Paul, June, and Jason go through the mail bag!

Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paul is in the new Nicolas Cage film “Army of One” available on VOD.

Paul’s new comedy Filthy Preppy Teen$ is now avail on the FullScreen and you can see June and Paul in their old show NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. Paul also appears on Fresh off the Boat on ABC.

June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

i watched the original many times when i was younger. i still say "there can be only one" when the opportunity arises but i've never seen the quickening ... but i did watch a later sequel. it was more of a tv show tie in. it had christopher lambert, adrian paul and lisa barbusica .. it was called highlander: endgame. it was not good. i hope this is more watchable.

• Like 6

I have a student at the moment doing a final thesis project, half between my department and half with the Environmental Studies programme. She's writing a play exploring society's treatment of environmental issues, specifically the idea of merging the Greek figure of Cassandra (true prophecies no one listens to) and Climate Change deniers. In advising her yesterday, I reached way back into my repertoire by referencing 'Highlander 2: The Quickening' by talking about how Connor MacLeod fixes the ozone layer to much fanfare, without recognition of the side-effects of such a move. I then quickly advised the student to NOT watch the movie.

• Like 9

When Paul said that June hated this movie I got excited for next week. I hope she makes him not play clips. That is one of my favorite random June-isms.

• Like 11

i watched the original many times when i was younger. i still say "there can be only one" when the opportunity arises but i've never seen the quickening.

I saw the original Highlander on TV for the first time around the late '90 early 2000s and LOVED IT (100% from Coast to Coast ) but then I saw it recently for the 30th Aniversary BluRay and it did not age well for me and what I remembered in my head...

It's not a bad movie but some moments turned out to be hilarious for me when I saw it at the end of last year ( Connor fighting with policemen outside of the Madison Square Garden parking garage and the following interrogation scene... YOU CAN'T DO ANY THAT WITHOUT BEING PUT IN JAIL!!! He just walks out the police station. The *Only One* (winkwink) near the scene of the crime!!!)

I have yet to see Highlander II... Wish me luck

Heads up that on Twitter a while back Paul said watch the Renegade Version of Highlander 2.

https://twitter.com/...373015105159168

I am half hoping that for the show half the panel watched the theatrical and half watched renegade version because I think they are pretty different.

I have the Directos Cut in my house... Thats the Renegade Version, Right???

I then quickly advised the student to NOT watch the movie.

A good teacher/profesor is always looking out for his/her students

• Like 3

i watched the original many times when i was younger. i still say "there can be only one" when the opportunity arises but i've never seen the quickening ... but i did watch a later sequel. it was more of a tv show tie in. it had christopher lambert, adrian paul and lisa barbusica .. it was called highlander: endgame. it was not good. i hope this is more watchable.

Yeah, Endgame was their lame attempt to tie the film and tv show story lines together, but it mostly focused on Duncan MacLeod, who is about as interesting as a sack of oatmeal.

• Like 3

Just listened to the mini while grocery shopping (I associate so many episodes of HDTGM with the produce section at the No Frills at Gerrard and Carlaw) and wanted to chime in to say bravo again to Cam Bert for the no-prize, richly deserved. Amazing post!

Although, it might be time for you to post in Ask Paul to clarify the pronunciation of your name! (although, I do love the many ways he always goes at it: there must be four or five versions by now) I was going to say you could clarify your gender too (since today he wondered if you were a woman), but that's up to you.

• Like 5

I have the Directos Cut in my house... Thats the Renegade Version, Right???

I can't tell. On Amazon it seems like they only have Highlander 2 Renegade Version branding. I don't see any that say Highlander 2 Director's Cut.

Here is a way too detailed page breaking down the different versions of the film. Without having actually read it I think it is safe to warn there are spoilers here.

http://www.figmentfly.com/published/highlander2article.html

• Like 2

Apparently, hitting "quote" on mobile erases everything you've already typed out, so half of my previous post is missing....

Soooo anyway, I'm moving next week, and I literally packed up my movies last night, even though I knew next week was going to be Highlander 2. Conundrum: do I dig through the boxes I packed yesterday? or do I just take this as an opportunity to buy it on Blu-Ray and retire the DVD?

Life gives you hard choices sometimes, man.

Edit: my DVD is the American theatrical cut, so maybe this is an opportunity to buy the Renegade version.

• Like 5

Edit: my DVD is the American theatrical cut, so maybe this is an opportunity to buy the Renegade version.

Totally just answered your own question.

• Like 2

Side-eyeing that Fantastic Beasts review real hard

giphy.gif

Sad to say I skip through them. I'm sure they're funny on the YouTube channel, but it hurts my head when it's beamed right into my brain through my headphones. Add to that that they only ever tear movies down and I quite liked 'Fantastic Beasts,' I thought it best to skip (as usual). I did wonder what you'd have to say about them crapping on it though...

• Like 1

Side-eyeing that Fantastic Beasts review real hard

I haven't seen it yet, so I stopped the episode there (Did anything interesting happen in the episode after that?). I think I've gotten more and more like June in that I want to know as little about something as possible so I can make my own judgement. And if all someone is going to do is shit on something, I'd rather not listen to it.

Also, Taylor Anne, you play the ukulele, right? Any tips on making a C-chord not sound like total garbage? Do you play with just your finger on the third fret on the A-String or do you play it like a B-Chord just moved up a fret? It's really starting to piss me off...

• Like 2

I haven't seen it yet, so I stopped the episode there (Did anything interesting happen in the episode after that?).

Actually, yes - Paul's pick was pretty funny. A stand-up bit I quite enjoyed.

• Like 1

I haven't seen it yet, so I stopped the episode there (Did anything interesting happen in the episode after that?). I think I've gotten more and more like June in that I want to know as little about something as possible so I can make my own judgement. And if all someone is going to do is shit on something, I'd rather not listen to it.

Also, Taylor Anne, you play the ukulele, right? Any tips on making a C-chord not sound like total garbage? Do you play with just your finger on the third fret on the A-String or do you play it like a B-Chord just moved up a fret? It's really starting to piss me off...

I agree with CakeBug - Paul's pick was really delightful!

For a hot second I completely forgot that I had mentioned I played ukulele and was starting to get worried about your level of stalking lol. I literally just play the A-String on the third fret. Anything to make the chords as easy as possible lol. If it really sounds like garbage there is a chance it's not properly tuned (not to make assumptions that you can't tune it but I always know when it sounds right and if it's off then that means I need to do a hella tuning).

• Like 3

For a hot second I completely forgot that I had mentioned I played ukulele and was starting to get worried about your level of stalking lol. I literally just play the A-String on the third fret. Anything to make the chords as easy as possible lol. If it really sounds like garbage there is a chance it's not properly tuned (not to make assumptions that you can't tune it but I always know when it sounds right and if it's off and that means I need to do a hella tuning).

My wife teaches ukulele - I'll ask her for you tonight Cameron!

• Like 2

For a hot second I completely forgot that I had mentioned I played ukulele and was starting to get worried about your level of stalking lol. I literally just play the A-String on the third fret. Anything to make the chords as easy as possible lol. If it really sounds like garbage there is a chance it's not properly tuned (not to make assumptions that you can't tune it but I always know when it sounds right and if it's off and that means I need to do a hella tuning).

What was the pick?

Oh, and I'm, like, a very accomplished stalker :)/>

I'm pretty sure the tuning is okay...I'm used to hearing a C on either a guitar, piano, or a mandolin and for some reason it doesn't sound right to me on the uke...Everything else sounds fine. It doesn't feel like it's in the correct octave or something...it sounds better when played like a B, but as you said, that's a kind of annoying transition when going to a G.

Thanks anyway!

• Like 1

Sad to say I skip through them. I'm sure they're funny on the YouTube channel, but it hurts my head when it's beamed right into my brain through my headphones. Add to that that they only ever tear movies down and I quite liked 'Fantastic Beasts,' I thought it best to skip (as usual). I did wonder what you'd have to say about them crapping on it though...

I don't care when people don't like a movie, but it's how they tell me they don't like the movie that usually makes me start the side eye process. I need more than just "it's boring." That's not a real review. Like the Eddie Redmayne comments were the only things of substance that led me to think they were giving some genuine criticism of the film and then the rest of it is just a whine about how it's not the same as the Harry Potter movies and it's not Jurassic Park.

• Like 3

What was the pick?

Oh, and I'm, like, a very accomplished stalker :)/>

I'm pretty sure the tuning is okay...I'm used to hearing a C on either a guitar, piano, or a mandolin and for some reason it doesn't sound right to me on the uke...Everything else sounds fine. It doesn't feel like it's in the correct octave or something...it sounds better when played like a B, but as you said, that's a kind of annoying transition when going to a G.

Thanks anyway!

It's a stand up thing that Paul plays at the end. Very enjoyable.

Hm that's odd! My 4 favorite chords to play together are C, G, Am, & F lol. Those 4 will get you a ton of songs to just bust out to dazzle your friends and family lol.

• Like 2

Thanks! (I'm sure it's just me...)

• Like 1

Hm that's odd! My 4 favorite chords to play together are C, G, Am, & F lol. Those 4 will get you a ton of songs to just bust out to dazzle your friends and family lol.

Oh yeah! You move that progression up or down a key and you can play almost anything!

• Like 2

Omg does she have the ability to translate songs into ukulele chords?! Cause there are two songs I reeeaaallllyyyy want to play but I have no talent in how to actually figure out what the chords should be on this instrument lol. (One of them I feel like even starts on the ukulele and then transitions into guitar when it picks up but I just do not have to hearing and then playing ability)

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this