🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Galactiac

Paywall

So I watched The Shawshank Redemption recently and wanted to go back and listen to the Canon episode about it.... that's when I discovered the new paywall for all the old episodes.

Not a fan. I understand it's difficult to figure out a business model for free content, but this just makes it more difficult to share the show with other people in the future.

Unfortunately I couldn't justify 5 dollars to listen to a single episode that I'd already heard before so I didn't get to revisit it.

I know the same thing happened to HDTGM? and it took them by surprise so I'm not blaming anyone specifically. Just disappointed.

I think this is going to hurt them a lot more than help. My personal reason for not being willing to pay the fee is that The Canon is the only podcast on Earwolf that I listen to. Guess I'll just try to listen to everything in the first 6 months. Ads really were the way to go.

It is too bad; apparently it's a 100% Earwolf-driven thing, and pretty shady how it was communicated (which is, not at all) to listeners and the podcasts. If they had given everyone notice there'd probably be little controversy.

For the love of Jeebus, don't delete past episodes you haven't listened to and don't let your subscriptions expire.

• Like 1

Came here to find out why suddenly older episodes had disappeared from the iOS Podcasts app - did not expect this to be the reason. This sucks so much. Especially since the show is on Hiatus. Like, at least wait until it's back on the air. I had a whole bunch of older episodes I'd already downloaded but deleted at some point and now I can't even re-listen to old ones again? Ugh.

Sign in to follow this