🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Paywall Special Announcement

I want to be clear when I say this, as I can tell this is corporate greed and not because of the hosts of the show which have nothing but respect for.

This is BS. One of the biggest shows on earwolf is this one. This is entirely greed based and not "because other shows do it." I do subscribe to shows I lovery. The way this was handled was awful and now I will never pay a dime for their subscription services. Horrible horrible way of handling something like this.

I still have all respect for the hosts and will listen to new episodes still... assuming they aren't pay walled too.

Not cool at all Earwolf. Not cool.

The company supplied us with free shows for, what is it now? Five years? Taking the burden of all the costs upon themselves. But now that they can't shoulder the burden alone anymore it's 'greed'. GTFO.

• Like 2

I felt like, not only were they capitulating to the dissenters...

This decision wasn't capitulation to dissenters.

Paul, I really hope I didn't come off as too hawkish. I only meant, at the time, that it felt like that, not that it was like that. I apologize if my choice of words were at all inflammatory.

The bottom line is that I support you guys whatever your decision :)

We cool?

• Like 3

Nope, think you blew it, pal. Clean out your desk.

oh-fudge.gif

• Like 3

I mean, I would never have tried CBB, Spont, IWTT, or any of the other shows on Earwolf if it wasn't for HDTGM first.

Don't mean this as a weird brag, but it kinda blows my mind for someone to say they tried CBB after hearing HDTGM first. Back in my day Comedy Death Ray was practically the only game in town. I remember when HDTGM was knee high to a bird's eye, etc.

• Like 2

People have talked about how immature or charged the discussion about the paywall has been. I have never seen anywhere on the internet more civil that the HDTGM forum and reddit communities. People who accepted the paywall and those who disagree with it both come here out of love for the podcast. It's not an overreaction at all, people are remarkably nice. Fan circle jerk kudos all round.

I really appreciate Paul's work here, I think it reflects alot of hard earned compromise. Paul, June and Jason have put 6 years of their life into building this podcast and I'm happy Paul got this deal. I think the extension to a year is wise, 6 months would have been 13 full episodes for new people which would have been disasterous.

I think the way the company did this was ill thought out, Paul rightfully pointed out how much better it could have been handled. Alot of this has come about because most of us have never thought about the corporate side before, we just listen and enjoy. Now all of a sudden its been imposed. I don't think listeners are "entitled" in not wanting to pay for access, podcasts are the listeners. A podcast without listeners is not a podcast. It's a mental ward with a tape recorder. Howl didn't respect or value the listeners or the artists in their implementation of this, and they rightfully got a backlash for it.

With regards to the arguement about monetization of internet content and support for artists, at the end of the day you have to be pragmatic.

I live next door to an abandoned Blockbuster Video.

There was a HDTGM torrent before the paywall, I assume so people could download in bulk quickly and easily. The episodes were free anyway. It was very obscure and not listed on the major torrent sites. It had 2 seeders and 5 leechers. The day after the paywall was announced it had 115 leechers. For an obscure torrent that's huge. For those unfamiliar with torrenting terms, 2 people had all the files and were uploading and 115 were downloading and uploading what they had. Comedy Bang Bang, WTF, etc all have similar torrents.

Ever been to a park with a curve in a concrete path? You can guarentee that there will be a dirt track worn into the grass where people took a shortcut. Its basic human psychology. We take the most efficent route. Most people won't bother with paywalls because its quicker, easier and free to get things elsewhere online. Doesn't matter how affordable, there is a massive difference between free and any amount of money. The only thing that has curbed this recently has been Netflix. They paved a nice straight path, and planted gardens and nice things. Most people will pay the toll because its easier. The alternative, restricting access, won't work now and hasn't worked for the last 10 years in any online business. You can't fight human nature. I don't see paywall systems working. They have misunderstood the audience and why and how people listen to podcasts. The river of information will flow around, over or through whatever dams they put in place. Paul found a compromise that will keep the podcast growing and accessible and I'm eternally grateful for that.

I think Paul did an amazing job in getting a fairer deal for the listeners. It's a compromise sure, but its a good one. I don't see a better deal existing without leaving the network. Personally I have great affinity for Earwolf and their shows, and while my love for the hosts remains unchanged, my impression of the corporation is now very tarnished. I think the suits need to respect their audiences and their artists more.

Now let the business side be gone and lets get back to laughing. I'm going to go enjoy Sean Connery play an immortal Egyptian swordsman in what may be the worst acting performance of all time, while some kids outside graffiti the Blockbuster.

• Like 3

I was gonna type out a long post, but I'm just going to agree with everything Paul said. Plus it's his podcast and I'm sure he has his own vision for how he wants to present it.

I will say HDTGM is the first podcast I have ever listened to with any sort of regularity and I will continue to follow it, but I certainly wouldn't be nearly as invested if there hadn't been the library of old episodes for me to go through. I appreciate that Paul worked out this solution for us.

• Like 4

Don't mean this as a weird brag, but it kinda blows my mind for someone to say they tried CBB after hearing HDTGM first. Back in my day Comedy Death Ray was practically the only game in town. I remember when HDTGM was knee high to a bird's eye, etc.

And I don't mean to brag, but I actually discovered HDTGM through The Cracked Podcast--before they were a part of Earwolf, that is.

I don't think we're using that word right...

• Like 2

And I don't mean to brag, but I actually discovered HDTGM through The Cracked Podcast--before they were a part of Earwolf, that is.

I don't think we're using that word right...

I found it through the episode of 'I Was There Too' that Paul was on, to talk about 'Meet Dave'. I've been playing catch-up for years. The back catalogue was crucial to that (and if not for my determination to catch up all the way, I would have been annoying you all here years ago. Small blessings!). I'm just glad I caught up soon enough - I wasn't so lucky when it came to CBB...

• Like 3

I found it through the episode of 'I Was There Too' that Paul was on, to talk about 'Meet Dave'. I've been playing catch-up for years. The back catalogue was crucial to that (and if not for my determination to catch up all the way, I would have been annoying you all here years ago. Small blessings!). I'm just glad I caught up soon enough - I wasn't so lucky when it came to CBB...

I started listening to Nerdist around episode 10 ish, and when those ten episodes were done I listened to the Comedy Death Ray that Chris hosted. Then later Earwolf existed, and put out this fun new podcast about bad movies...

• Like 2

I listened to one episode of CBB and didn't really get it (it's a hard show to get into from just a random episode). But the Earwolf homepage slideshow had HDTGM in it, and it was the LOL episode with Chelsea Peretti and Rob Huebel. I love Chelsea, so I decided to check it out, and I laughed so goddamn hard.

I think HDTGM is a lot easier to get into from a current ep or an ep from the last 6 months, but I'm also a huge movie nerd and have an unabashed love of shitty movies, so this podcast was right on my wheelhouse. I definitely went back and listened to every episode over the course of the next month. I heard someone say it took them, like, 3-4 months, and that's bonkers to me. So I definitely understand the benefit of having previous episodes available. That said, I fell in love with this show so quickly that I wouldn't have had an issue paying $5 to listen to the back catalog (and I've been paying for a Howl subscription since the day it came out). I understand how others might not be in the same financial situation as me, though, so I'm glad there's something there for people that legit can't afford to go wasting $5 or $10 here and there on a billion different subscription services.

Side note: my friend later recommended that I get into CBB through the Farts and Procreation eps, and I loved those so much. Then I discovered the Marissa Wompler saga. I pretty much only listen when one of my favorite recurring characters or someone I really like is on (my favorite eps are Jason and PFT). Fister's Hot Take: I skip Kid Detective eps because I don't think the "we're twins who fuck each other" joke that it devolves to every time is that funny.

• Like 6

e8sksg.jpg

all I have to say about pay wall... and Paul Scheer, you are Earwolf, not the other way around. you could move your show to any site and we will follow you. Please don't forget that for one minute.

Mind you I think you did that before, or did I dream it. Earwolf pop.

any other show this marketing method could work, but with HDTGM we already have to buy the videos or movies to enjoy the show already if da pay wall came with the movies in question for free maybe I would buy into that system but we have to go out of our ways to find and collect these movies to watch them and enjoy the show. didn't enjoy giving some guy on amazon 40 dollars US to enjoy the apple. a movie i will most likely never watch again. I would of rather give that money to you Paul. No real amazon rentals here in Canada.

Or you could just be thankful for the hundreds of hours of free entertainment they've given us. Either way...

• Like 2

So, During the paywall announcement paul made it sound as though one could download the episodes. I started my $5 per month account (I'm not paying for a year of this fucked idea up front) and I cannot download the episodes from the howl site. I'm sure there is software which will make this possible, can anyone make a suggestion?

Also, my two cents. I'm only surprised that Jason went along with this. I really thought he would have a line in the sand on this. That earwolf would do this, that paul would "be a company man" as he himself stated but I'm really surprised that Jason would buckle. It's not like he needs this, he was/is doing this because it's fun. Not even really disappointed but I am surprised.

Guys, the show is free. Quit bitching.

How come you get to decide who what everyone else's opinion is on this?

So, During the paywall announcement paul made it sound as though one could download the episodes. I started my $5 per month account (I'm not paying for a year of this fucked idea up front) and I cannot download the episodes from the howl site. I'm sure there is software which will make this possible, can anyone make a suggestion?

Also, my two cents. I'm only surprised that Jason went along with this. I really thought he would have a line in the sand on this. That earwolf would do this, that paul would "be a company man" as he himself stated but I'm really surprised that Jason would buckle. It's not like he needs this, he was/is doing this because it's fun. Not even really disappointed but I am surprised.

You have to use the app to download I think. I only use the app on my phone and there is just a little download icon.

• Like 1

How come you get to decide who what everyone else's opinion is on this?

Clearly, I don't get to decide. I've mostly stayed out of the paywall discussion until now. I just think there are a lot of people being complete twats about something that has been given to us for free for over five years now.

• Like 2

Clearly, I don't get to decide. I've mostly stayed out of the paywall discussion until now. I just think there are a lot of people being complete twats about something that has been given to us for free for over five years now.

You do a lot of name calling. People are upset; your attempt at minimizing their feelings by calling them names for expressing their anger/disappointment is inappropriate. If you think all is fine, maybe express that feeling rather than attacking others.

• Like 2

You have to use the app to download I think. I only use the app on my phone and there is just a little download icon.

Ahh, thanks for that. I did find a streaming audio recorder which is free and highly rated. So I think I've solved my personal dilemma.

You do a lot of name calling. People are upset; your attempt at minimizing their feelings by calling them names for expressing their anger/disappointment is inappropriate. If you think all is fine, maybe express that feeling rather than attacking others.

I hear you. I understand your concerns. I apologize for acting in an inappropriate manner. Please forgive my expressing of an opinion that differs from your own. Please forgive my using profanity in a forum for a show that is constantly littered with it. I didn't realize that using one single insult could be construed as "a lot of name calling." I will work hard in the future to touch-feel with the innermost, deepest sensitivities of every living creature.

I hear you. I understand your concerns. I apologize for acting in an inappropriate manner. Please forgive my expressing of an opinion that differs from your own. Please forgive my using profanity in a forum for a show that is constantly littered with it. I didn't realize that using one single insult could be construed as "a lot of name calling." I will work hard in the future to touch-feel with the innermost, deepest sensitivities of every living creature.

Yes, there's a difference between us joking around with the movies and coming in and telling people they are "twats" for expressing their concerns. If you have something to add to the conversation, please feel free to do so. If you're just going ot come in and tell everyone to shut up, you have nothing to add to the conversation except to be rude to people.

For clarification, I have had no problem with the paywall. But we can talk about it without name-calling and being jerks to each other.

• Like 2

For clarification, I have had no problem with the paywall. But we can talk about it without name-calling and being jerks to each other.

Acknowledged and understood.

I have been listening for over five years. Though this profile is new, it is not my first as I was locked out of my old one and had to start a new one. I do not subscribe to Howl and am not going to.

I personally do no feel as though Earwolf or anyone connected to the show owes me anything. I do not expect Paul [or anyone else] to move the show to another network or take it independent in order to satisfy me. While I was disappointed that the archived episodes were to be put behind a paywall [as I do enjoy going back and listening to them seasonally], I understood their reasoning for doing it.

People have bills to pay. Paul and June have kids, and kids are expensive. It takes money to produce a podcast. It takes money to publish a podcast and store the files. I actually like Paul's ads. Sometimes the ads make me laugh harder than anything in the show ["So sign up for Squarespace,..or suck your own dick!"].

I'm sorry that some people feel slighted by this decision. I understand how you feel. I can relate to all of your points. Personally, I felt that some people were being a bit unreasonable and displayed a lack of gratitude for all that we have been given without being asked anything in return.

I understand why a person [me] shouldn't come in here and start name-calling, and "telling people to shut up;" but when I read some of these comments, I get angry. And I get angry because I don't like to see Paul put in the position he's been put in [stuck in the middle between his fans and is employer], and I don't like to see those fans trying to make him feel like he's not doing enough. He's done more than enough. I'm sorry some of you don't agree.

• Like 2

He was referring to the rotating set of archived episodes that will be available for free in the regular podcast feed. You can download all of the ones available today, and grab the next set when they're rotated several months from now. After a few of these cycles, you'll eventually have all of them.

Alternately, Howl provides the complete archive of all episodes with no ad interruptions.

• Like 2