🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Paywall Special Announcement

Paul shares a special announcement regarding the Paywall.

He might not say it here, but I believe it's extremely obvious that Paul really fought for this. I can't express how much I appreciate it, and my already very high respect for Paul just went through the roof. This was somewhat painful to listen to because I could tell, or at least I either rightly or wrongly perceived, that Paul still isn't entirely happy about this but, as he said, he's being a team player. Thanks Paul, I already knew you appreciate your fans but this is really going above and beyond in the face of corporate machinations.

Also, it's good to know that Howl subscribers are paying for engineer Cody's health benefits! :lol:

• Like 9

I get this, it's pretty fair, but the argument that, uugh well if you want ad-free content you can't expect it for free. BUT these podcasts or chock-full of ads. Like HDTGM has more ads then any podcast I listen to. With this level of downloads can we be expected to believe they make nothing off that?

• Like 3

I get this, it's pretty fair, but the argument that, uugh well if you want ad-free content you can't expect it for free. BUT these podcasts or chock-full of ads. Like HDTGM has more ads then any podcast I listen to. With this level of downloads can we be expected to believe they make nothing off that?

I'd personally much rather have tons of ads than a paywall, and I'm also hoping that the paywall doesn't prove to be profitable. I imagine they'll actually see the amount of new listeners decline rapidly, as I know when I got into the podcast the first thing I did was go back and listen to the older episodes so I could listen to the show progress. Same with Comedy Bang Bang and Improv 4 Humans; I'd go back and listen to the earliest episodes that had guests I love or otherwise sounded interesting, then I just started listening to all of them. People who aren't okay with the paywall are being called cheap and entitled, but I don't see it that way at all, I simply believe that removing the archives is a failing strategy and if they want more subscribers then they just need to keep making great content on Howl.

On the other hand, this is why I think Paul is smart for fighting for what he did. Now new listeners can go back and listen to many older episodes, listen to the howdies, etc., without being forced to subscribe to a service that is still practically unusable on Android devices.

• Like 9

Also, it's good to know that Howl subscribers are paying for engineer Kody's health benefits! :lol:

engineer Cody Cody or engineer Cody Brett?

Really appreciate what Paul has done here. Great stuff on his part.

• Like 2

Yes, kudos to Paul for fighting and keeping some of the shows alive for free.

I'm personally not affected by any of this as I've saved them all but as Furb said, when you first get into podcasts you go back to get the vibe of the show... And it helps if it's not all Gooby and Xanadu and unwatchable films but renown big bad movies.

However, I must say as a fan since episode 1, hearing that exclusive episodes or the Smurfs were gonna be behind the Paywall... I understand completely and Paul explained it well, but it broke my heart a little.

Yes, it's only 2 bucks blablabla but it still sucks. It's not really rewarding long-time listeners.

• Like 2

I'd personally much rather have tons of ads than a paywall, and I'm also hoping that the paywall doesn't prove to be profitable.

I hope Earwolf keeps producing content. Paywall, narwhal, whatever.
  • Like 4

Tons of respect for Paul! Though I knew he's all about fairness.

I don't have a problem with a pay wall for older episodes... but holy shit how can Earwolf pull this off when the Android app is so garbage. They say they've been aware of it for a long time and are working on it, but that doesn't make up for the fact that the only way for me to listen to it is by using their super glitchy and faulty app. "we're aware that we're screwing you and we're showing good communication by saying so"... jee thanks for the AMA.

Looks like the iTunes version is better, but still. Get your shit together Earwolf.

(And when I say Earwolf, that has nothing to do with any of the podcasters like Aukerman/Paul/etc.!)

*edit* Great point about new listeners, tib20011. The paywall will most likely stint Earwolf's growth unless they use the funds for marketing. In contrast, reminds me of how Monty Python released all their videos for free and saw a huge boom in sales for their DVDs.

• Like 4

Archives do not have ads. And they likely do not receive ad revenue for ads in older episodes.

I wrote a long post explaining how advertising revenue works a few weeks ago:

http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/41827-a-message-from-earwolfs-ceo-about-yesterdays-episode-de-publishing/page__view__findpost__p__236241

TL;DR - Advertisers don't pay for old ads in perpetuity, and even if they pay a small fee for it (which they likely don't), it probably doesn't amount to much.

• Like 2

The big question is: when does this episode go behind the paywall? I've got it for a year, right?

• Like 5

Been waiting for or this shoe to drop for sometime now. Storage of old episodes will become a major issue for all the long running podcasts you hold dear. Hosting 100s of gigs of content and the bandwidth it takes to download it costs money. Personally, I dont mind it. Paywall is a sign of success and longevity in the podcast business.

Whether is fair or they turn a profit or not is not really the issue. Personally I hope the people who make all this content get some financial reward from it. People have been trying to monetize podcasts for a while now and only we the listeners will decide whether it will be successful or not. In this economy we all vote with our dollars. $30 a year might be an unnecessary expense but, it might make the medium better. Also Paul will no longer have an excuse for posting episodes late.

• Like 7

The big question is: when does this episode go behind the paywall? I've got it fo a year, right?

It may not be the funniest but it's one of the most historic! The evolution of culture (or content/art whatever you call it) is super interesting and moments like these shed light on its machinations.

• Like 4

It may not be the funniest but it's one of the most historic! The evolution of culture (or content/art whatever you call it) is super interesting and moments like these shed light on its machinations.

Machinations of Pee-wee?

• Like 1

Machinations of Pee-wee?

Machinations of Pee-pee. See, evolution! I'll get my coat...

• Like 2

Ignoring my dumb joke post above, I just wanted to say to Paul and the Gang* that this is beyond generous! I've been a Howl subscriber from the day that it was announced, mostly as a show of ongoing support for a podacst that I really do enjoy and for the people behind the scenes that don't get nearly enough credit for making it happen.

And despite the fact that I have been, and will continue to be, a subscriber of Howl, I just wanted to extend my thanks to Paul, June, and Jason for everything they do for their fans. Sincerely--thank you! Sometimes, I really don't think we deserve your goodwill.

Cameron H

*Every time I write that I feel like they should be driving around the country solving mysteries with a giant talking dog or something.

• Like 9

Gosh, Cameron now who's the kiss ass?

MdEwOO.gif

To be fair, I'm pretty sure I'm the one that called you a kiss-ass. Cameron's just joining the club :)

• Like 5

To be fair, I'm pretty sure I'm the one that called you a kiss-ass. Cameron's just joining the club :)

Oh don't worry if you had made the post I would have been meaner :P

• Like 4

Gosh, Cameron now who's the kiss ass?

MdEwOO.gif

As always, Taylor Anne, you've shone the radiant light of truth upon my shortcomings as only a True Friend can. Over the years, I have come to respect (and expect) your forthright honesty delivered with a sly wit and good-natured humor. I just want to thank you for helping me be a better man and not letting me be devoured by my baser instincts.

My heart is ever warmed by your kindness of heart and generosity of spirit.

So, from me to you, the sincerest and humblest of Thanks.

Thank you, Taylor Anne!

May your days forever be filled with songs of joy

Cameron H

• Like 4

Just listened to the episode now and was blown away by how hard they've worked to make this work - the 25 episode rotation essentially means you'll always catch every old ep, and the chance to vote on our favourites means everyone will have a chance to hear what they want. The 'behind the wall' specials will, I assume, be posted about here in the forum, meaning that non-subscribers will get a chance to read the teaser and maybe decide on the strength of that to come on board.

Thank you to Paul and the team for all the hard work making this happen. You provide so much joy for (next to) nothing and I hope your anxiety over the transition is abating today.

• Like 5

Most of the ads only pay if people actually go and buy the product. That's why they have the promo codes in each one. So if someone goes to the site, does the free trial or whatever and then enters the promo-code, then they get something. Do you think everyone is doing that that is listening to the episodes?

• Like 1