🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 154 - Highlander II: The Quickening LIVE!

I remember in the Highlander cartoon that you don't cut people's heads off it's more like a knowledge exchange where you meet up with other Highlanders in order to gain their knowledge consensually which kind of takes the fun out of Highlander - it being about fights to death. Imagine a cartoon version of Death Race 2000 where people score points by high-fiving spectators or shaking hands at high-speed with other drivers

• Like 1

Also, I'd like to point out how there was this line in the movie where someone would explain how all these highlanding shenanigans are "magic... kind of". The writers must surely be awarded a Howdie for most shoehorned reference to a Queen's song!

When the movie was released in Canada, I was working in a comic book store and I was responsible for handling film giveaways and promotions. I got to see a lot of bad movies at preview screenings for free during my tenure there (many of which have ended up on HDTGM), but not Highlander II.

Instead, the distributor gave our store fat stacks, literally hundreds, of 2 dollar off coupons for the wide release of the movie. So many, in fact, we were handing out handfuls of them to customers and friends for the short duration of the theatrical run. They were printed to look like 2 dollar bills, with Lambert and Connery's faces on them. I have no idea if this was a Canada or Toronto only thing. I unfortunately can't find any reference to these online but they definitely existed.

They remain my favourite movie "promo" item from that time, along with my drawer full of Phantom rings (also gone) and Ravenous beef jerky (eaten by staff); I wish I still had them.

Some deleted scenes. Skip ahead to the alternate ending at the 3:50 mark.

• Like 3

Wait a minute! That was in the version I watched (I remember because ever since I heard him deliver that line I can't seem to get clean). Does this mean I still somehow managed to watch the wrong version even after asking around?

God, I hate this movie! Even finding the right version of it is a fucking three-toed tango of insanity.

I think by the strict definition yes you did watch the wrong version because there is no right version of this movie. But I do think you watched the version that Paul recommended.

• Like 2

Wait a minute! That was in the version I watched (I remember because ever since I heard him deliver that line I can't seem to get clean). Does this mean I still somehow managed to watch the wrong version even after asking around?

God, I hate this movie! Even finding the right version of it is a fucking three-toed tango of insanity.

Cameron H. maybe you're just a skilled lip reader? Or perhaps you have heard tale of what dark haired ladies like to do and were able to fill in the blanks?

I could still make it out despite the muffled whisper in the version I have. (Ugh, I have it)

• Like 1

Cameron H. maybe you're just a skilled lip reader? Or perhaps you have heard tale of what dark haired ladies like to do and were able to fill in the blanks?

I could still make it out despite the muffled whisper in the version I have. (Ugh, I have it)

I had subtitles turned on while watching the Amazon (Renegade Version) and if I remember correctly the subtitles put in that line.

• Like 3

June yelling and cursing and then laughing her ass off as Jason laid into that guy had me cracking up. That was hilarious! And I like that June was actually pissed about this film because we all should be. It's one of the worst sequels of all time. This would be the worst fan fiction of all time.

I loved the first film though. It's a lot of fun to toss on if you just want 80s stuff with swords in the background. Great sound track. I LOVED the TV series. It had a super weird twist in the middle of it. There was even a spin off of that show which focused on the immortal cat thief girl (Raven or something?).

Christopher Lambert was only in the first episode of the tv series as far as I remember. But both of the Highlanders did team up for a later film I think.

Also, I'd like to point out how there was this line in the movie where someone would explain how all these highlanding shenanigans are "magic... kind of". The writers must surely be awarded a Howdie for most shoehorned reference to a Queen's song!

Queen did the soundtrack to the original Highlander.

"Its a Kind of Magic" was a song on that soundtrack.

Its a callback being shoehorned in.

I remember in the Highlander cartoon that you don't cut people's heads off it's more like a knowledge exchange where you meet up with other Highlanders in order to gain their knowledge consensually which kind of takes the fun out of Highlander - it being about fights to death.

I think in the original french cuts of that cartoon, they go full on decapitations.

It was heavily edited when adapted to the US.

I could also be typing out of turn, as its been decades since I saw the US adaptation on the USA Network.

As mentioned earlier, there was even an Anime for Highlander, trying to be its own entirely stand-alone story

Honestly it kind of reminds me of Fist of the North Star - with swords.

Not all immortals are highlanders... The Highlander is McLeod's nickname...

Also Ramirez is NOT Spanish but an ANCIENT EGYPTIAN pretending to be Spanish.

Christopher Lambert was only in the first episode of the tv series as far as I remember. But both of the Highlanders did team up for a later film I think.

"Remember how the plot of the first film was all about The Gathering? Yeah, that never happened. It's sort of starting now, but will take forever and will be open ended until people just stop giving a shit." - C. MacLeod at the beginning of the series to D. MacLeod, paraphrased.

Normal plot:

Two adversaries must team up because they aren't powerful enough to defeat the villain on their own.

Highlander version:

Two friends must fight each other to the death because they aren't powerful enough to defeat the villain together.

Weird side track: There's a film called Ninja Assassin which is basically a beat for beat remake of the original Highlander film but with Immortals replaced by Ninjas. Even down to the point of the protagonist's girlfriend interceding in the final battle against the villain, giving him just enough time to quip "what took you" before finally defeating him.

I think in the original french cuts of that cartoon, they go full on decapitations.

It was heavily edited when adapted to the US.

I could also be typing out of turn, as its been decades since I saw the US adaptation on the USA Network.

I imagine you're probably right and know more than me as I have a very vague recollection when I saw it here in merry England in the 90s on whatever it was on BBC, ITV(?) Reading the wiki apparently it was "surprisingly mature/violent", well that all depends what you mean by violent but I suppose it's better than in the TMNT cartoon of having robot foot soldiers so you can cut them to pieces.

• Like 1

The sound quality of this episode and the last one is so clear that sometimes I'd forget that I was listening to a live ep and thought I was listening to a studio ep.

2irsq4l.jpg

Looks like June and Paul will have to re-introduce themselves to each other. June is in D.C. for the Women's March. She will also be performing later to raise money for Planned Parenthood. Hats off June and all the ladies performing at the Laugh. Dance. Then Get to Work! show. Marching is exhausting and to perform after that? Whew! Love to June, Casey Wilson, Morgan Walsh, and all the other performers for their dedication to the good fight.

• Like 13

Correction and Omission:

I know you guys talked about the subway train going 700 mph and how everyone inside the subway train was flying around due to the high speed, but why wasn't Micheal Ironside affected by the speed? I mean his hair wasn't even blowing. Is this part of his immortal powers? Also when they crashed through that brick wall the subway train stopped rather quickly. I am no mathematician or an expert in physics but I would think something as heavy as the train going as fast as it was would have created a lot of force and that the brick wall wouldn't stop it as fast as it did.

• Like 4

Great episode! Loved every minute of it!

When Katana first materializes in the future he harasses a man with some kind of weird Oculus Rift set up and says, "This sure doesn't look like Kansas, does it?" Obviously, this is a reference to The Wizard of Oz, but how would Katana know that movie at all, let alone well enough to paraphrase it? Like, when he isn't using the "Future Vision" television-hologram-thingy to peep in on MacLeod is he using it to pop over to AMC to watch classic MGM Musicals?

Also, while I'm on the topic of "Future Vision" television-hologram-thingy, the Porcupine Brothers argue against going to the future to kill MacLeod because, "He's an old man. He'll be dead in a couple of weeks." Of course, they are shot down and sent to the future anyway, but how about this for an idea bad guys: Why not, just for shits and giggles, instead of complicating matters and risking MacLeod getting his power and Immortality back, fast forward your Computer of Scrying a couple of weeks? You know, just to see what he chooses...

Also, by sending the two men to the future to kill MacLeod, and since it has been well established that "there can only be one," after the've killed MacLeod, would the Porcupine Brothers then have to kill one another? I'm just saying, with good Insane Bird-Porcupine henchmen so hard to come by, this plan seems like a flagrant waste of resources.

• Like 2

Okay, let me get this straight:

MacLeod is a Scottish Highlander played by an American/Swiss/French actor.

Ramirez is a Spaniard, from Egypt, played by a Scottish Actor.

Does that mean that Katana, played by Canadian actor Michael Ironside, is supposed to be Japanese?

• Like 9

How was Michael Ironside able to walk into the Shield Corporation's board meeting unannounced? The place is crawling with so many guards you had to either sneak in or get shot hundreds of times. I doubt Michael Ironside snuck in, so it is weird that nobody would either stop him or alert the board that an immortal maniac was coming for them.

Also, why did he want to partner up with the Shield Corporation? He was a general, so wouldn't he want an army or police service under his control? Sure, Shield is an important company with an armed security team, but what was the plan there?

Okay, let me get this straight:

MacLeod is a Scottish Highlander played by an American/Swiss/French actor.

Ramirez is an Spaniard, from Egypt, played by a Scottish Actor.

Does that mean that Katana, played by Canadian actor Michael Ironside, is supposed to be Japanese?

I assumed as much.

• Like 2

Maybe it's me, but does anyone ever remember them telling this story of Ramírez became Immortal...

Found this in wikipedia.

"Ramírez was born Tak-Ne in Egypt in 896 BC, and became Immortal after being run down by an out-of-control cart in the streets of his city. The fearful populace, upon learning of this, banished him, and he began to wander the world, encountering many other Immortals"

Now knowing what I know about Egypt if you became Immortal wouldn't you be like a god! sort of kind of funny because it's like 110% what there religion believes are all about.

This is all upsetting Dr. Zahi Hawass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP9IjS09El8

• Like 1

been trying too long to do my impersonation of Connor MacLeod as a old man for the phone line. but I end up sounding more like Rob Brydon man in a box..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzvYLl2BtWo

That or I sound like a man who's been on the toilet too long.

"I'll be out in a minute sweet heart! " "I just need to flush and air it out a bit."

• Like 2