Episode 154 - Highlander II: The Quickening LIVE!

193 replies to this topic

#41 Ofcoursemyhorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

View PostZARATHUSTRA, on 20 January 2017 - 07:29 PM, said:

I like the live shows more to be honest. The energy is higher cause Paul, June and Jason are all trained live improv performers that can work off the audience. I think the ratio of live to studio episodes is perfect right now. Plus they earn the moneys (WAM) and Jason gets to berate the audience.

I think both have their pros and cons. With studio episodes you get wonderful moments like june quietly muttering "He's so small...." over and over again. I think its much harder to have a moment like that during a live show. That being said you also dont get moments like Jason taking the piss out of the guy who had the balls to call himself "The Jason" of his group.

#42 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

View PostOfcoursemyhorse, on 20 January 2017 - 07:42 PM, said:

I think both have their pros and cons. With studio episodes you get wonderful moments like june quietly muttering "He's so small...." over and over again. I think its much harder to have a moment like that during a live show. That being said you also dont get moments like Jason taking the piss out of the guy who had the balls to call himself "The Jason" of his group.

Or the hosts losing their shit on someone talking down to them...

But I agree. The Howdies reminded me how much I love studio eps. The show started as friends sitting around goofing on bad movies, and that feel is lost in live eps. But as long as they keep making eps at all, I'll be thrilled.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#43 NundercoverBrother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSucker Free

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:13 PM

https://twitter.com/...572615109844993

@RachelHeine 6h6 hours ago

More

On the most recent @HDTGM, @heyalexei explains what a #Highlander is & gets yelled at by all the hosts. It's great: http://bit.ly/2kbBVcd

#44 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:31 PM

View PostZARATHUSTRA, on 20 January 2017 - 07:24 PM, said:

I agree it wouldn't block out all light, I just don't see why it would be night if you just wanna block out UV radiation. Plus you can also produce ozone, plus the earth produces ozone (by lightning, UV etc) and I don't know what the fuck the shield even is. Electromagnetic shield isn't a thing, and I don't think can be a thing. If you had a giant emitter of electromagnetic waves in the atmosphere, I don't think it would help at all cause its not gonna absorb any UV. Whenever you hear "electromagnetic" used in movies its almost always a bullshit screenwriter term for 'we don't care the sciency-magic will take care of the logic'. Electromagnetic just means it has something to do with the electromagnetic spectrum, which could be literally anything.
I think this was the early 90s and people were scared of the ozone hole but didn't understand it so it was perfect for use in terrible screenplays.

See, at first I thought they were saying the shield itself was made of electromagnetic waves, because they showed these rippling waves covering the earth's atmosphere, but I think they meant a shield that blocks electromagnetic waves. There are electromagnetic shields, but they certainly do not look like waves. Guh, I hate this movie so much.

#45 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:21 AM

Hello folks and welcome back to...

How Did This Get Named?

After awhile of not so interesting name changed films comes another not so interesting one. Yes the Highlander series is simply Highlander in Japanese. However what is interesting is the second half of the titles. You see much like "The Quickening" they decided to slap a descriptor onto each title.

Highlander became Highlander: Demon Warrior ハイランダー悪魔の戦士(hairandaa akuma no senshi)
Highlander 2:The Quickening became Highlander 2: Resurrected Warriorハイランダー2 甦る戦士(hairandaa 2 yomigaeru senshi)
Highlander 3: The Final Dimenson became Highlander 3: The Ultimate Warrior Showdown ハイランダー3 超戦士大決戦 (hairandaa 3 chosenshi daikessen)
Highlander: End Game became Highland: The Final Warrior ハイランダー最終戦士(hairandaa saishuu senshi)
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#46 Bumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationShmocation

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:18 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 21 January 2017 - 01:21 AM, said:

Hello folks and welcome back to...

How Did This Get Named?

After awhile of not so interesting name changed films comes another not so interesting one. Yes the Highlander series is simply Highlander in Japanese. However what is interesting is the second half of the titles. You see much like "The Quickening" they decided to slap a descriptor onto each title.

Highlander became Highlander: Demon Warrior ハイランダー悪魔の戦士(hairandaa akuma no senshi)
Highlander 2:The Quickening became Highlander 2: Resurrected Warriorハイランダー2 甦る戦士(hairandaa 2 yomigaeru senshi)
Highlander 3: The Final Dimenson became Highlander 3: The Ultimate Warrior Showdown ハイランダー3 超戦士大決戦 (hairandaa 3 chosenshi daikessen)
Highlander: End Game became Highland: The Final Warrior ハイランダー最終戦士(hairandaa saishuu senshi)

Posted Image

Thanks, Maximiliano! It was instantly useful!

#47 AstronautDown

5th U2 member.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:29 AM

Not a correction, neither an omission, more like an addition.

Ok... I don't know what got into me but for some reason I saw three cuts of this movie!

First, the 2004 Special edition. This is a retouched Renegade cut with different color grading, some updated VFX. I assume this is the one the gang saw. Now, I had seen the movie as a kid and the only thing I remember was the ominous red shield. On the 2004 SE the shield is blue! This seems like a weird choice to me because it takes away the visual contrast between the shield and the blue sky... Anyway, this feeling of "something is wrong" prompted me to pursue the other versions and do a comparison.

So—literally side by side—I saw the theatrical cut and an the original Renegade. And that's when things started getting really crazy... First of all: enter Zeist! Holy shit, what were they thinking? Paul has already mentioned it in the episode so I won;t elaborate. The whole thing with Zeist is crazy and makes zero sense. What is crazier though is the acrobatics the director had to do to cut around it. It's a real eye opener, especially if you're an editor, director, or anything film-making adjacent, or a film lover in general. Great insight of how movies are made right there!

I also want to verify Jason's comment about about this movie being cut out of order and Katana (Michael Ironside) being literally omnipresent. He was spot on. The amount of switching scenes around varies from slight plot rearranging to creating an entirely different narrative. And btw, the airplane scene in the theatrical cut is continuous, with just a TV-style fade between the two shots, making the time Sean Connery is on air just a normal Transatlantic trip instead of the Week-long saga that is in the Renegade cut. Speaking of fades, there are literally Star Wars-style wipes in the theatrical cut!

But the most important change in the two versions is the line that Sean Connery says to his female co-passenger. "In fact it's well known that the dark-haired ladies *whispers*...". In the theatrical AND 2004 versions this is omitted, but in the original Renegade it's crystal clear that he continues "...like to sit on men's faces". SAY WHAT???? That's right motherfucker, my main man Ramirez is laying down the law: You will sit on my face and I will eat out whatever it is sitting on my face which I care not to identify!

Peace.
What exactly is a Highlander?

#48 Cameron H.

Cookin' With Potatoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,578 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:48 AM

View PostAstronautDown, on 21 January 2017 - 03:29 AM, said:

But the most important change in the two versions is the line that Sean Connery says to his female co-passenger. "In fact it's well known that the dark-haired ladies *whispers*...". In the theatrical AND 2004 versions this is omitted, but in the original Renegade it's crystal clear that he continues "...like to sit on men's faces". SAY WHAT???? That's right motherfucker, my main man Ramirez is laying down the law: You will sit on my face and I will eat out whatever it is sitting on my face which I care not to identify!

Wait a minute! That was in the version I watched (I remember because ever since I heard him deliver that line I can't seem to get clean). Does this mean I still somehow managed to watch the wrong version even after asking around?

God, I hate this movie! Even finding the right version of it is a fucking three-toed tango of insanity.
Wills: Just eating my beef, babe.
Second Sight (1989)

King Ferdinand: How well he's read, to reason against reading.
Love's Labour's Lost (2000)

#49 babyoilbandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:52 AM

The thing I don't get about THE PRIZE being mortality is that surely if anyone wants to die then just don't put up a fight and let your head be cut off.

No no no I don't want a quick painless death, I want to die old and infirm, I want to be mortal and work a 50-hour week for fifty years, at the end of which they tell me to piss off. Ending up in some retirement village, hoping to die rather than suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time. That's what I want.

#50 24 Hour Party Pizza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCascadia

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:47 AM

What bothered me most about this movie was that Sean Connery was from the past and therefore doing these tired ass fish-out-of-water jokes, like "what is a shithead my good man". But Michael Ironside, also from the past, was somehow able to crack oneliners like "Last stop!" when he shouldn't even know what a train schedule is.

Also I rewound this scene like twenty times, this dude's delivery is *perfect*.

#51 babyoilbandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:55 AM

I remember in the Highlander cartoon that you don't cut people's heads off it's more like a knowledge exchange where you meet up with other Highlanders in order to gain their knowledge consensually which kind of takes the fun out of Highlander - it being about fights to death. Imagine a cartoon version of Death Race 2000 where people score points by high-fiving spectators or shaking hands at high-speed with other drivers

#52 AstronautDown

5th U2 member.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:08 AM

Also, I'd like to point out how there was this line in the movie where someone would explain how all these highlanding shenanigans are "magic... kind of". The writers must surely be awarded a Howdie for most shoehorned reference to a Queen's song!
What exactly is a Highlander?

#53 KingMob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:06 AM

When the movie was released in Canada, I was working in a comic book store and I was responsible for handling film giveaways and promotions. I got to see a lot of bad movies at preview screenings for free during my tenure there (many of which have ended up on HDTGM), but not Highlander II.

Instead, the distributor gave our store fat stacks, literally hundreds, of 2 dollar off coupons for the wide release of the movie. So many, in fact, we were handing out handfuls of them to customers and friends for the short duration of the theatrical run. They were printed to look like 2 dollar bills, with Lambert and Connery's faces on them. I have no idea if this was a Canada or Toronto only thing. I unfortunately can't find any reference to these online but they definitely existed.

They remain my favourite movie "promo" item from that time, along with my drawer full of Phantom rings (also gone) and Ravenous beef jerky (eaten by staff); I wish I still had them.

#54 dask360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:11 AM

Some deleted scenes. Skip ahead to the alternate ending at the 3:50 mark.

#55 ChunkStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

View PostCameron H., on 21 January 2017 - 03:48 AM, said:

Wait a minute! That was in the version I watched (I remember because ever since I heard him deliver that line I can't seem to get clean). Does this mean I still somehow managed to watch the wrong version even after asking around?

God, I hate this movie! Even finding the right version of it is a fucking three-toed tango of insanity.

I think by the strict definition yes you did watch the wrong version because there is no right version of this movie. But I do think you watched the version that Paul recommended.

#56 dask360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:38 AM

View PostCameron H., on 21 January 2017 - 03:48 AM, said:

Cameron H. maybe you're just a skilled lip reader? Or perhaps you have heard tale of what dark haired ladies like to do and were able to fill in the blanks?

I could still make it out despite the muffled whisper in the version I have. (Ugh, I have it)

#57 ChunkStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:43 AM

View Postdask360, on 21 January 2017 - 08:38 AM, said:

Cameron H. maybe you're just a skilled lip reader? Or perhaps you have heard tale of what dark haired ladies like to do and were able to fill in the blanks?

I could still make it out despite the muffled whisper in the version I have. (Ugh, I have it)

I had subtitles turned on while watching the Amazon (Renegade Version) and if I remember correctly the subtitles put in that line.

#58 Roook

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

June yelling and cursing and then laughing her ass off as Jason laid into that guy had me cracking up. That was hilarious! And I like that June was actually pissed about this film because we all should be. It's one of the worst sequels of all time. This would be the worst fan fiction of all time.

I loved the first film though. It's a lot of fun to toss on if you just want 80s stuff with swords in the background. Great sound track. I LOVED the TV series. It had a super weird twist in the middle of it. There was even a spin off of that show which focused on the immortal cat thief girl (Raven or something?).

Christopher Lambert was only in the first episode of the tv series as far as I remember. But both of the Highlanders did team up for a later film I think.

#59 NundercoverBrother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSucker Free

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

View PostAstronautDown, on 21 January 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

Also, I'd like to point out how there was this line in the movie where someone would explain how all these highlanding shenanigans are "magic... kind of". The writers must surely be awarded a Howdie for most shoehorned reference to a Queen's song!

Queen did the soundtrack to the original Highlander.
"Its a Kind of Magic" was a song on that soundtrack.
Its a callback being shoehorned in.

#60 NundercoverBrother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSucker Free

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:03 PM

View Postbabyoilbandit, on 21 January 2017 - 06:55 AM, said:

I remember in the Highlander cartoon that you don't cut people's heads off it's more like a knowledge exchange where you meet up with other Highlanders in order to gain their knowledge consensually which kind of takes the fun out of Highlander - it being about fights to death.

I think in the original french cuts of that cartoon, they go full on decapitations.
It was heavily edited when adapted to the US.
I could also be typing out of turn, as its been decades since I saw the US adaptation on the USA Network.

As mentioned earlier, there was even an Anime for Highlander, trying to be its own entirely stand-alone story
Honestly it kind of reminds me of Fist of the North Star - with swords.