Jump to content


Musical Mondays-Week 4-Beauty and the Beast

HDTGM Fun & Games Musicals

169 replies to this topic

#21 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

 tomspanks, on 27 January 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:



You're gonna have to be more specific.


When the mob attacks the castle, he is holding her upside down while roughly pulling out her feathers as he cackles insanely. It's extremely upsetting.
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#22 Fister Roboto

    #likesanimals

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

 tomspanks, on 27 January 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

OH - checked the imdb page and the 3 blondes are just called Bimbette. WHY.
The voice of the dog/footstool was Frank Welker, who was also the voice of Nibbler and Santa's Little Helper.

Yeah, if there's any VO work in a movie or cartoon, Welker was probably involved. He does basically everything.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#23 tomspanks

    jaded meowndarin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:22 AM

 Cameron H., on 27 January 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

When the mob attacks the castle, he is holding her upside down while roughly pulling out her feathers as he cackles insanely. It's extremely upsetting.


 Cameron H., on 27 January 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

Is it weird that I would love to have a LeFou in my life?


I think you just answered your own question, champ.

#24 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

 tomspanks, on 27 January 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:





I think you just answered your own question, champ.


Hey, how was I supposed to know that was coming up?
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#25 CakeBug Tranch

    Loyal Tompkastaway

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

 tomspanks, on 27 January 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

What is Beast's human name???

 Cameron H., on 27 January 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

Sabastian.



This article here seems to suggest his name is Adam.
http://www.cosmopoli...you-didnt-know/

But, is your reference to the thing I read somewhere that his look was based on Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach?

Also, I love knowing Jackie Chan is our Chinese Beast.

Also, I loved Tom's use of the term 'champ' just up there. Well played.
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#26 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

 CakeBug Tranch, on 27 January 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:


This article here seems to suggest his name is Adam.
http://www.cosmopoli...you-didnt-know/

But, is your reference to the thing I read somewhere that his look was based on Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach?

That's not true either.

A friend of mine worked at Disneyland for a long time and got to meet Glen Keane and asked him this very question. His response was, "We never gave him a name."

So that's that in my opinion lol. If Glen motherfuckin' Keane says it's just Beast then I will only call him Beast lol.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#27 CakeBug Tranch

    Loyal Tompkastaway

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

 taylor anne photo, on 27 January 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

That's not true either.

A friend of mine worked at Disneyland for a long time and got to meet Glen Keane and asked him this very question. His response was, "We never gave him a name."

So that's that in my opinion lol. If Glen motherfuckin' Keane says it's just Beast then I will only call him Beast lol.

Good enough for me! It's like in Sarah Ruhl's book 100 Essays I Don't Have Time To Write she talks about getting into arguments with producers who wanted to know the surnames of the characters she'd made in her plays, and how she wouldn't let them assign arbitrary surnames for the sake of promotion. As far as she was concerned, they only had first names because that's how she'd written them.
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#28 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

 CakeBug Tranch, on 27 January 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:


But, is your reference to the thing I read somewhere that his look was based on Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach?

Also, I loved Tom's use of the term 'champ' just up there. Well played.


No, I wanted to come up with a silly, Eddie Izzard-like name. Something as un-beast like as possible. I was originally going to say "Kenneth" but with all the Branagh talk yesterday, I didn't want to sound un-creative.

And now you all know how the sausage gets made!

Also, yes. "Champ" was amazing. Delightfully condescending! Bravo!
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#29 CakeBug Tranch

    Loyal Tompkastaway

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

 Cameron H., on 27 January 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

No, I wanted to come up with a silly, Eddie Izzard-like name. Something as un-beast like as possible. I was originally going to say "Kenneth" but with all the Branagh talk yesterday, I didn't want to sound un-creative.

And now you all know how the sausage gets made!

Also, yes. "Champ" was amazing. Delightfully condescending! Bravo!

Which is a spooky coincidence, because the Sebastian Bach thing is an actual thing on the internet...

Posted Image
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#30 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

Posted Image
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#31 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

First of all, my wife had a great time watching this over lunch. So, thanks Taylor Anne!

Okay, I think I'm about to crack this thing wide open. When Belle pulls Beast away from his dinner (seriously lady, let me finish eating), Lumiere waves his hands in front of a faceless candelabra and makes the flames dim to a romantic glow. It was then, with the help of my wife, we stumbled upon a couple of truths...

First, the people were cursed but the objects are enchanted. Basically, if an object has a face or voice it was once a living person. If it's just a faceless dish serving grey goop, it's an enchanted object.

Second, if you're a cursed person, you hold dominion over similar enchanted objects (e.g. Lumiere can control other candlesticks. Mrs Potts can control dishes.) Following this line of thought, we then stumbled upon the idea that Cogsworth must therefore control TIME ITSELF! This would explain certain age discrepancies and how an entire village could forget about their former rulers in less than a decade. Cogsworth has been slowing time to allow the Beast more time to find true love. However, he can't stop time all together so the rose is still wilting. If you consider the flower's deterioration, you see that at the beginning until about two-thirds of the movie, the rose is doing just fine. It isn't until The Beast lets Belle go, thus condemning not just himself, but all of his servants to the enchantress' curse, that the rose begins to shed petals at a quicker rate. That is, Cogsworth--despondent over his liege's decision--allows time to move forward again, thus resuming their inexorably march down the path toward their inevitable damnation.
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#32 CakeBug Tranch

    Loyal Tompkastaway

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

 Cameron H., on 27 January 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Second, if you're a cursed person, you hold dominion over similar enchanted objects (e.g. Lumiere can control other candlesticks. Mrs Potts can control dishes.) Following this line of thought, we then stumbled upon the idea that Cogsworth must therefore control TIME ITSELF! This would explain certain age discrepancies and how an entire village could forget about their former rulers in less than a decade. Cogsworth has been slowing time to allow the Beast more time to find true love. However, he can't stop time all together so the rose is still wilting. If you consider the flower's deterioration, you see that at the beginning until about two-thirds of the movie, the rose is doing just fine. It isn't until The Beast lets Belle go, thus condemning not just himself, but all of his servants to the enchantress' curse, that the rose begins to shed petals at a quicker rate. That is, Cogsworth--despondent over his liege's decision--allows time to move forward again, thus resuming their inexorably march down the path toward their inevitable damnation.

Posted Image
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#33 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

 Cameron H., on 27 January 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Second, if you're a cursed person, you hold dominion over similar enchanted objects (e.g. Lumiere can control other candlesticks. Mrs Potts can control dishes.) Following this line of thought, we then stumbled upon the idea that Cogsworth must therefore control TIME ITSELF! This would explain certain age discrepancies and how an entire village could forget about their former rulers in less than a decade. Cogsworth has been slowing time to allow the Beast more time to find true love. However, he can't stop time all together so the rose is still wilting. If you consider the flower's deterioration, you see that at the beginning until about two-thirds of the movie, the rose is doing just fine. It isn't until The Beast lets Belle go, thus condemning not just himself, but all of his servants to the enchantress' curse, that the rose begins to shed petals at a quicker rate. That is, Cogsworth--despondent over his liege's decision--allows time to move forward again, thus resuming their inexorably march down the path toward their inevitable damnation.

While this entire thing is absolutely BRILLIANT and could explain a lot I still don't think Cogsworth can control the wilting of the flower. My understanding of the enchanted rose is that since she says that he has until his 21st year to find true love the rose does not start wilting until he turns 20. Therefore, showing over the next 12 months that his time is coming to an end.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#34 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:12 PM

Oh! And I am really concerned about Gaston's cholesterol level. Five dozen eggs is waaaay too many.

Also, Belle, go easy on the sugar in your oatmeal. It's too much, girl.

This was Cameron's Guide to Healthy Eating.
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#35 tomspanks

    jaded meowndarin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

Who gave Beast the magic mirror? What do you think he really used it for?

Posted Image

#36 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

 tomspanks, on 27 January 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Who gave Beast the magic mirror? What do you think he really used it for?

Posted Image


Gah!!! You beat me to it! Why would the person who cursed him give him that?
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#37 Fister Roboto

    #likesanimals

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

 Cameron H., on 27 January 2017 - 01:26 PM, said:

Gah!!! You beat me to it! Why would the person who cursed him give him that?

In case he's caught by Death Eaters and needs help.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#38 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

 Fister Roboto, on 27 January 2017 - 01:34 PM, said:


In case he's caught by Death Eaters and needs help.


Deep cut.

Speaking of the mirror...

When Belle consults it she sees her father struggling in the woods--presumably lost. However, when the mob goes after the Beast they seem to have no trouble finding the castle. In fact, it looks like the path they take there is either paved or extremely well-worn. Including cutting down trees for battering rams, it seems to take them, I don't know, thirty minutes to get there--tops.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, maybe Belle's father should be put away for his own good. I know it's a harsh reality, but he really doesn't seem capable of looking after himself anymore.
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#39 tomspanks

    jaded meowndarin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

 Cameron H., on 27 January 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

Oh! And I am really concerned about Gaston's cholesterol level. Five dozen eggs is waaaay too many.

Also, Belle, go easy on the sugar in your oatmeal. It's too much, girl.

This was Cameron's Guide to Healthy Eating.


Also, Beast - don't skip leg day.

#40 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

 tomspanks, on 27 January 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:



Also, Beast - don't skip leg day.


Okay, that made me chuckle like an idiot to myself. :)
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)