169 replies to this topic

#41 Cameron H.

Ted Neeley Handsome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts
  • LocationUsnavi's Bodega

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

I just wanted to say, I know it might sound like I've been shitting on this movie, but I really do like it. I like it in the same way that I like the OT Star Wars movies. It's like I love them so much, and know them so well, that I can't help but tease them a little bit. This really is a fantastic movie. I also have a lot of happy memories tied up in it. My first "girlfriend" and I watched this together at her parents' house for our first "date." For those interested, we dated for 6 months and I kissed her once--and only under duress from some older kids. But they didn't get it, guys. I was playing the long game. Anywho...

Great movie! And while I don't mean to be disrespectful, I expect I'll be making fun of it a lot more.
Car: Vroooooom?

Fate of the Furious (2017)

Troy: Don't be afraid to shoot the outside "J."

High School Musical (2006)

#42 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

I swear I was about to post that I like this movie a lot.

#43 Cameron H.

Ted Neeley Handsome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 27 January 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

I swear I was about to post that I like this movie a lot.

Posted Image

#44 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

Seeing as we're all sharing first time stories I'll add mine to the list. My parents liked movies but didn't like going to the theater to see them. I think we only ever saw about 5 movies as a family together. However, my grandma for whatever reason would take my sister and I to the movies all the time. It wasn't a babysitting thing either, sometimes my sister and I didn't have a say in the matter. If a Disney film was coming out she'd take us even if we didn't ask. We always went to McDonalds first, and then to the same theater and never were allowed theater treats. Being a very young boy this is not the kind of movie that I would want to see but was taken to anyway and ended up enjoying a lot. Having not seen this film since then, it's amazing to me how much of it I still remember so clearly, and if that doesn't speak to the quality of the film I don't know what will.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#45 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

Now as an adult I find the whole town and Gaston very creepy. He sets his sights on Belle and is like "I must have her." So he begins to woo her which fails miserably at every step. She's clearly not into him in anyway, yet he refuses to give up. He only wants Belle because she's the most beautiful too. He's not in love with her, he just deems her to be the prettiest and as he has a super inflated sense of self worth he believe he's owed her. That's just not healthy or right.

So one of his plans is to hired people to perform a wedding. Like he gets a cake, a band, rents some chairs and a carpet. The whole nine yards. Despite being rejected in the past he somehow thinks just him walking in and asking she'll change her mind and agree to marry her on the spot? On top of that why is everybody going along with this? Maybe they're just super greedy and just want the money. I would think that the case but as pointed out clearly the bookstore owner doesn't care about making sells. Gaston also doesn't seem to work unless he sells his kills, so where is this money coming from? Is Gaston so important to the well being of the town that not one person he hired or that is helping stopped to say "Wait, you're having a wedding and haven't even asked her yet?" Rather these people think Belle so weird that they're like "Yea, she'll say yes because he's handsome and she should be so lucky." Why would they think that? What's wrong with these people?
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...

#46 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

Also, where does all this food come from in Beast's castle? They have enough food to throw a big dinner for them and then make another one for Belle later and they feed both of them for the remainder of her stay. Yet no one every comes to the castle. No one is delivering them groceries, and it's not like any of the servants can just stroll into down and buy food. I think people would notice a walking talking stove and have more than a few questions. It's been 10 years and with limited refrigeration at the time, the pantry would have been rotted away. I think all of this adds up to support Cameron's theory of Cogsworth controlling time. That or somehow the non-aging curse affected the food in the pantry as well, and Beast is just a not a big eater.

#47 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

View PostCameron H., on 27 January 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#48 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 27 January 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

Also, where does all this food come from in Beast's castle? They have enough food to throw a big dinner for them and then make another one for Belle later and they feed both of them for the remainder of her stay. Yet no one every comes to the castle. No one is delivering them groceries, and it's not like any of the servants can just stroll into down and buy food. I think people would notice a walking talking stove and have more than a few questions. It's been 10 years and with limited refrigeration at the time, the pantry would have been rotted away. I think all of this adds up to support Cameron's theory of Cogsworth controlling time. That or somehow the non-aging curse affected the food in the pantry as well, and Beast is just a not a big eater.

Maybe Beast hunts?
Oh god, I hope the food isn't enchanted servants.

#49 Cameron H.

Ted Neeley Handsome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

Quick Letterboxd aside:

Tom, what's up with all the shark movies? I'm getting worried. Should I be getting in touch with Asylum de Loon?

Posted Image

#50 Fister Roboto

Curmudgeonly Robot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

View PostCameron H., on 27 January 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

Quick Letterboxd aside:

Tom, what's up with all the shark movies? I'm getting worried. Should I be getting in touch with Asylum de Loon?

Posted Image

Ohhhhhhh that's tomspanks. I've been trying to figure out who that shark-obsessed rando is.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#51 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

Lol, it was the recent Jaws talk. I had never seen any of the sequels or the related movies. Turns out the original Jaws is all the Jaws anyone needs.

#52 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 27 January 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

Lol, it was the recent Jaws talk. I had never seen any of the sequels or the related movies. Turns out the original Jaws is all the Jaws anyone needs.

I've always wanted to watch Jaws 4 because of how batshit terrible it's suppose to be, but then I remember that it's batshit terrible.

#53 Fister Roboto

Curmudgeonly Robot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

Reminds me of PFT's comment in the Deep Blue Sea ep where he says something like, "So what's the count on good shark movies? Still just the one?"

#54 Cameron H.

Ted Neeley Handsome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

Oh! That's a relief. And, yeah, just the one Jaws. Although...Janet Varney and Cole Stratton do a pretty good Riff on Jaws 3.

Sorry for the deviation. We can go back to BatB now :)

#55 Fister Roboto

Curmudgeonly Robot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:36 PM

One of the brags in the song "Gaston" is how no one "goes stomping around wearing boots like Gaston. I know the song is almost over by that point and you've probably used up all the good boasts by then, but is that REALLY the best one you dildoes could come up with?

#56 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 27 January 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

One of the brags in the song "Gaston" is how no one "goes stomping around wearing boots like Gaston. I know the song is almost over by that point and you've probably used up all the good boasts by then, but is that REALLY the best one you dildoes could come up with?

He was done about halfway through. He claims that "every last inch of me is covered in hair." Who's that impressing? Also we know that's a lie because we can see your bare arms and clean shaven face. If he shaves them why boast about being hairy if you're so ashamed of arm hair?

#57 Cameron H.

Ted Neeley Handsome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

When Lumiere, Cogsworth, and Mrs. Potts are singing "there's something there that wasn't there before" and Chip keeps asking, "What?" why can't they just say "love?" His future is just as wrapped up in The Beast's love life as anyone's. Instead, Mrs. Potts just says that she'll tell him "when he's older." Just how exactly are they expecting this curse to be lifted anyway?

Also, Mrs. Potts. Do you think there was a Mr. Potts? Do you think somebody dropped him?

Spoiler

#58 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:05 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 27 January 2017 - 07:07 PM, said:

I've always wanted to watch Jaws 4 because of how batshit terrible it's suppose to be, but then I remember that it's batshit terrible.

If you decide to watch Jaws 4, you should really watch Jaws 3 first to get the full effect.

View PostCameron H., on 27 January 2017 - 07:13 PM, said:

Oh! That's a relief. And, yeah, just the one Jaws. Although...Janet Varney and Cole Stratton do a pretty good Riff on Jaws 3.

TIL RiffTrax.

#59 Fister Roboto

Curmudgeonly Robot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:24 PM

So, I ended up buying this because a streaming copy was $15 for the theatrical version + special features, and I know I'll rewatch it plenty now that I own it. So, first off, my copy didn't have the new song in it, and if someone (maybe tomspanks?) hadn't mentioned it on Letterboxd, I would have had no idea that was a thing. I looked it up on YouTube, and it's kind of heartbreaking because I had watched all the special features already. They talk A LOT about Howard Ashman in those (especially during the featurette about Paige O'Hara) and how he was sick during the production and died before the movie. Ashman and Menken basically took this dead-end script, turned it into a musical, and transformed it into the movie we know today.

Anyway, this whole song is about what the servants will do once they are "human again," and they're all really simple pleasures. And viewed through the lens of someone who was wasting away from AIDS, it's just really, really sad.

ON A HAPPIER NOTE, if you have the special features, watch the shit out of them! There's a great one featuring Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez (the duo that wrote Frozen), Lin-Manuel Miranda, and some other dude I can't remember right now basically sitting around Alan Menken at the piano totally nerding out over the songwriting in the movie. It's totally delightful.

#60 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:13 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 27 January 2017 - 07:47 PM, said:

He was done about halfway through. He claims that "every last inch of me is covered in hair." Who's that impressing? Also we know that's a lie because we can see your bare arms and clean shaven face. If he shaves them why boast about being hairy if you're so ashamed of arm hair?

Even as a wee small child I knew how literally unattractive that was.

ETA: WAIT! Beast is literally covered in hair. Is this a "ha ha you wish" moment!? Like Belle goes "motherfucka you WISH" and shows the mirror of the Beast lol.