🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 155 - Airborne: LIVE!

giphy.gif

It's your friendly neighbourhood EllenM! For months, I've been trying to reset my password and it wouldn't work so I said "Fuck it, I miss the forums".

tenor.gif

• Like 5

I think I've been staring at this guy's artwork for like an hour now and it is driving me CRAZY, mostly because I can't put my finger on what mediums he's using!! It looks like some of them have had textures added post completion of the original artwork, which is interesting... And yeah, a number of them definitely have a sort of Van Gogh feel to them, especially in color choices. But I think the most frustrating for me is that some of the images have such poor resolution, they look absolutely horrible. The pixelation makes me want to cry.

Sorry, not movie related just... I got stuck on this. Please send help.

My most ardent hope is that Shane McDermott will call 1-800-PAUL-ASK to explain his art and give us some insight to his life, including how it was to play Mitchell, but also other important things like the Navigation District election. Come on Shane, we know you're lurking...

• Like 5

giphy.gif

It's your friendly neighbourhood EllenM! For months, I've been trying to reset my password and it wouldn't work so I said "Fuck it, I miss the forums". I broke down and made a new account.

GURL YOU HAVE BEEN MISSED!

hug.gif

• Like 6

I think I've been staring at this guy's artwork for like an hour now and it is driving me CRAZY, mostly because I can't put my finger on what mediums he's using!! It looks like some of them have had textures added post completion of the original artwork, which is interesting... And yeah, a number of them definitely have a sort of Van Gogh feel to them, especially in color choices. But I think the most frustrating for me is that some of the images have such poor resolution, they look absolutely horrible. The pixelation makes me want to cry.

It was when I saw the painting that he did of a Galveston house that is clearly in the style of The Church of Auvers that made my art history nerd heart scream a bit. Copy paintings made me sad.

• Like 3

giphy.gif

It's your friendly neighbourhood EllenM! For months, I've been trying to reset my password and it wouldn't work so I said "Fuck it, I miss the forums". I broke down and made a new account.

YES IT WAS MEEEEEE!!!!!!

I was studying for Evidence when I saw the post on Facebook and thought "Calling Paul is better than hearsay". I literally fell to the floor in my dad's kitchen when I heard Paul say my name. I got shook.

I had to do the same thing when 2017 started, but I think you were gone before I started posting with the old profile. Nice to meet you. That's exciting they played your call on the show!!!

• Like 2

I know I've said it before, but when any of you guys disappear for goodly amount of time it really fucks with my homeostasis.

Stop it guys.

giphy.gif

P.S. Amy the Gorilla, come back to us!

• Like 7

Filthy art nerd reporting in. Was being literal about the copies:

05_14_FE_Memories_Brown_03_600.jpg

Almond-tree.500.flowers.jpg

vincent-van-gogh-irises-in-a-vase-ii.jpg

van-goghs-irises.300.flower.jpg

Copying is a tried and tested method of learning to paint but you generally don't release them. He's ignored Van Gogh's careful complementary colours and form and made a masterpiece into something you could hang next to the scented candles in a 2 star resort in Iowa. Very "decorative". Mediocrity is the worst crime in art.

I assume that texture is either paintwork or pre-textured canvas. Throw a bunch of sand and stuff into the paint or primer. They look pretty thick so I assume it's oil but they're very matte and dull so it could be acrylic or unvarnished.

Judgemental art nerd out.

• Like 6

Filthy art nerd reporting in. Was being literal about the copies:

05_14_FE_Memories_Brown_03_600.jpg

Almond-tree.500.flowers.jpg

vincent-van-gogh-irises-in-a-vase-ii.jpg

van-goghs-irises.300.flower.jpg

Copying is a tried and tested method of learning to paint but you generally don't release them. He's ignored Van Gogh's careful complementary colours and form and made a masterpiece into something you could hang next to the scented candles in a 2 star resort in Iowa. Very "decorative". Mediocrity is the worst crime in art.

I assume that texture is either paintwork or pre-textured canvas. Throw a bunch of sand and stuff into the paint or primer. They look pretty thick so I assume it's oil but they're very matte and dull so it could be acrylic or unvarnished.

Too bad you weren't here for the Secret of the Ooze thread. Art nerds are always welcome here!

• Like 4

Too bad you weren't here for the Secret of the Ooze thread. Art nerds are always welcome here!

I'm always around. Since the beginning of many years ago I was here lurking. I choose my moments.

(voice deepens)

I will always hear you.

• Like 3

I still think that was one of my crowning achievements

• Like 2

Ok wow wtf. That is not cool. I didn't recognize those pieces, but seeing those comparisons makes me angry. That is not how you use references. Like being inspired and imitating a style I can understand, but obvious copies like that which you're trying to SELL is pretty taboo. There is no excuse for that and it makes me wonder what other pieces in that gallery are copies.

I thought the textures might've been pre-painting too, I've done that as well, but when I stared at them longer, the textures seemed to affect the intensity of the colors consistently across various areas of different colors, which makes me think that another image of a texture was added digitally afterwards. In one of his paintings, the texture has an almost brick pattern to it, which would be pretty hard to achieve unless it was painted on bricks. I thought maybe it could be a rubbing, but that still feels off...

• Like 3

giphy.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome back guys! This community makes me laugh so much.

• Like 7

Ok wow wtf. That is not cool. I didn't recognize those pieces, but seeing those comparisons makes me angry. That is not how you use references. Like being inspired and imitating a style I can understand, but obvious copies like that which you're trying to SELL is pretty taboo. There is no excuse for that and it makes me wonder what other pieces in that gallery are copies.

He's just a hobbyist painter with a couple pieces in a gallery in Galveston. I don't think he's trying to pull a fast one on anyone. They're fine paintings, for a self-taught artist, and I'm sure they make lovely gifts for his family.

Does anyone else have forum posting anxiety whenever you're at another 20 posts and about to roll the thread into a new page? This has stopped me from posting MANY times.

• Like 2

giphy.gif

YES IT WAS MEEEEEE!!!!!!

I was studying for Evidence when I saw the post on Facebook and thought "Calling Paul is better than hearsay". I literally fell to the floor in my dad's kitchen when I heard Paul say my name. I got shook.

Same thing seemed to happen to my account, which I had linked through my Facebook account. I tried contacting Earwolf about it but never heard back and just lucked into getting logged back in by doing the regular Earwolf login using my screen name on the forum.

I was amazed that Paul hadn't heard of Icon. They're one of the few genuinely independantly studios in existence and internally fund all their movies. This movie probably payed for the blood packs in Passion of the Christ.

The logo is from one of the most famous and most sacred Byzantine Icons (hence the name), which is almost 1000 years old now I think. Mel Gibson is a wierd old Traditionalist Catholic so he knows all this shit.

snip20150602_57-14DBCA204047CEA710B.png

Felt the need to make the Icon logo 1000X creepier.

xnGryqG.jpg

• Like 1

Oh. And I should point this out.

When Mrs. Poole from Valerie slash the Secretary from Ferris Bueller says to Mitchell that she's had word from Mitchell's parents, and that he's caught 'poison oak' in Australia, everyone takes this at face value.

BUT POISON OAK IS A NORTH AMERICAN PLANT.

https://en.wikipedia...on_diversilobum

So what if Mitchell's parents NEVER went to Australia? What if they're just so sick of this bonehead that they made up this story, packed him off to Ohio, and are now living the life of key parties and binge drinking with Dog Dog?

The idea of them going to Australia in the first place (wombats) is pretty flimsy, and their ruse is immediately spoiled by trying to embellish too much (poison oak). I want to see the reverse sequel, where Mom and Dad pretend to go to Australia only to breathe a sigh of relief and get up to all kinds of hijinks with Dog Dog.

This movie could have a secret reverse Ferris Bueller's Day Off movie underneath this turd. I wanna see that movie!

Okay, I would like to shift the conversation back a little bit towards hockey and this film. The relationship between hockey and this movie is fraught at best.

As our esteemed Ohioan members have pointed out, hockey isn't a major sport in Cincinnati - there is a pro team but it's not like it is in Canada or Minnesota or something. So, hockey's not such a big deal. YET. The only school team that we see or hear of is the hockey team, and this doesn't really feel a sanctioned school game, with the kids picking the team on the fly in the hallway, and no coaches to be seen. Okay, so we've established all this already. Except hockey is set out to be a huge deal in this world. The twins wear matching Cincinnati Cyclones jerseys in every scene they're in. Wiley introduces himself to the class as being all about hockey, he loves hockey, he lives hockey, breathes hockey - but when he's put into the game, he confesses that he can't skate, and only likes to play hockey on his Nintendo. BUT. Wiley's father is established as an award-winning Zamboni driver. They actually have a line in the movie about how he won an award for being the best Zamboni driver in town. His license plate says 'my Other Car is a Zamboni'. Yet when Wiley says that he played hockey, dad doesn't seem familiar with the sport.

"Wiley play hockey? I gave him a puck! A cup? You can't win a Stanley Cup unless you're on a team"

Here in Canada, Zamboni drivers are the rink rockstars. It's a huge privilege to get anywhere near a Zamboni and the guys who do it are hardcore in the community. There's just NO WAY that Wiley's dad gets to drive a Zamboni and not be familiar with the sport, and if he's working in a rink, how is it possible his son hasn't learned how to skate? This makes absolutely no sense.

Add to this, the game between the Centrals and the Preps is billed as having been going on for years. Like, it's been so long since the Centrals won that it's really bugging them. It's set up like some kind of finale to a Mighty Ducks movie, except the Preps don't have fancy uniforms up against the rag-tag Centrals, like you'd expect, everyone looks like they forgot their gear at home that day and had to use whatever was in lost property. And for a school with such a passion for hockey (and a pretty nice outdoor covered rink with a scoreboard), why can't they find guys to play? Like, picking Wiley in the hallway and Mitchell from the stands? Is this seriously the best they can do? Not to mention Cam Bert's earlier point, about the fact that menacing gang member Snake is actually the Latino Wayne Gretzky in disguise.

And what about Rosenblatt? Poor old Rosenblatt, very clearly a member of the team prior to the film starting, is seen in the film class with a broken nose, unable to make his speech, but never really sighted again. He seems like a throwaway character, but when the Centrals declare that they won't graduate losers by getting beaten by the Preps again, what do they all dedicate their future win to?

FOR ROSENBLATT!

They all cry, rousing us all around a character who will never play hockey, never skate in the race, never actually utter a line.

Seriously, guys, WHY was hockey made such a big part of this movie if no one was willing to really invest in hockey overall?

Rosenblatt, Jewish hockey player. Like Goldberg from The Mighty Ducks. Snake, a tough guy who seems to have all of these skills for hockey that no one knew about is almost a bobo version of Fulton from The Mighty Ducks. Mighty Ducks came out in '92, Airborne in '93.

Guys, are we sure that the screenwriter didn't see The Mighty Ducks and decided to sandwich hockey into a rollerblading movie?

Let me drop some additional info from the perspective of someone who was there for some of the filming——I was not part of the crew, but attended one of the schools it was filmed at:

- The scene in the classroom was shot at the School for Creative and Performing Arts, as I recall mainly because they needed that window to crash through (it is only a few feet off the ground, and is above an easily accessible parking lot.) Also, a few of the actors in that scene were cast from SCPA. In town productions that needed children often came to SCPA for casting (Sarah Jessica Parker, Carmen Electra, etc were alum from that period). Everyone, including apparently some the crew, knew this film was corny and not going to be so great. People were however super excited to have Seth Green there (this was not that long after his "Ka-Ching" commercials).

- The inside scoop was that it was developed for Milwaukee or Minneapolis or something, but then they came to Cincinnati because, in addition to tax breaks and it being a production friendly town, it had plenty of the hills they needed for that dumb-ass race (obviously there are not that kind of hills in Minneapolis or Milwaukee). This also makes sense because hockey is not a big thing in Cinncinati. Cinncinati is a big baseball and football town. Nor was roller blading a thing—if anything, it was, and still is, much more known for skateboarding. Trust me, everyone was thoroughly embarrassed by this corny ass film. Except for Seth Green. Everybody loved Seth Green.

I love it when Seth talks about being the Cha-Ching Guy. It's such an amazing story about being a localized here, perfectly encapsulated in this news report from '91.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyAYjw3GPmk

PS Seth Green may be my favorite celebrity ever. He's like Paul Rudd, he's been in a ton of things for almost his entire life, and seems like the coolest, nicest guy you'd ever meet (having seen him and the Robot Chicken crew multiple times at NYCC).

• Like 1