🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 4 (Cakebug Tranch's Pick)

258345-It-s-Not-Monday-I-m-Not-Listening-.gif

Edit: all will be revealed. Monday morning. Strap in.

According to my calendar it is Monday...

• Like 5

My turn! Hooray!

Okay, so as you know, I thought long and hard about what I should suggest. I thought about some musicals that I dearly, dearly love, and I thought about some that are unequivocally challenging, in the spirit of this site (obviously I'm not naming any names just in case these films are randomly chosen by other players in future). In the end, it came down to a single film which holds a dear place in my heart but also annoys me too. I love it but see the problems with it.

So.

- One of the greatest collections of songs ever assembled? CHECK.

- A visual feast? CHECK.

- A genius director who's also a certified lunatic? CHECK.

- A complete and utter mess that's trying way too hard? CHECK.

- 53% on Rotten Tomatoes, guaranteeing that at least one of us love it and one of us hate it? CHECK.

- A film that at least one of us have scored 4 stars on Letterboxd and one of us have scored 2 stars? CHECK.

- A film that earned back about 40% of its $70million budget, making it a verified bomb? CHECK.

- Our first bona-fide Jukebox musical? CHECK.

You know what it is, don't you.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...

31625.jpg

Julie Taymor's wonderful train wreck, featuring the music of the Beatles. Enjoy.

• Like 4

Oh God no.

And THAT was the reaction I was waiting for. Yasss.

(That's what you get for 'Tommy' ;) )

• Like 5

I have not seen this. I don't know if I should be excited or not...

• Like 5

I have not seen this. I don't know if I should be excited or not...

Surely this is the whole point of this exercise! And this website! Seeing movies that we're not sure if we should be excited about or not!

• Like 4

Surely this is the whole point of this exercise! And this website! Seeing movies that we're not sure if we should be excited about or not!

True.

Answer me this, does this have "Here Comes the Sun" in it? I have just spent the last two months teaching 6 year olds to sing it and I don't think I can handle hearing it again this soon.

• Like 4

True.

Answer me this, does this have "Here Comes the Sun" in it? I have just spent the last two months teaching 6 year olds to sing it and I don't think I can handle hearing it again this soon.

Nope, that's not in there. All the other ones are though. So many of them. Many in very interesting ways, too. You'll love it!

Ighcn9.gif

• Like 4

But...I love The Beatles.

You know what? Fuck it. I'm excited about this.

ETA: My guess turned out to be wrong, but my wife guessed it.

• Like 5

But...I love The Beatles.

You know what? Fuck it. I'm excited about this.

That will either be your greatest strength or your biggest hindrance in watching this. Ooh! I'm excited that a few of us haven't seen it!

ETA: My guess turned out to be wrong, but my wife guessed it.

What did you guess? (Mamma Mia, right? It was Mamma Mia.)

• Like 3

That will either be your greatest strength or your biggest hindrance in watching this. Ooh! I'm excited that a few of us haven't seen it!

What did you guess? (Mamma Mia, right? It was Mamma Mia.)

Well, before your clues, I was really thinking Moulin Rouge. After your clues, I had no idea. I've seen Mamma Mia, though, and I didn't hate it.

• Like 3

Well, before your clues, I was really thinking Moulin Rouge. After your clues, I had no idea. I've seen Mamma Mia, though, and I didn't hate it.

That was a serious contender. But Moulin Rouge! is perfect, so we'd get really bored after we agreed on its perfection by 9.08am next Monday.

• Like 2

I thought it might have been Blues Brothers based on the previous clues.

• Like 5

That was a serious contender. But Moulin Rouge! is perfect, so we'd get really bored after we agreed on its perfection by 9.08am next Monday.

I don't care for Baz Luhrmann. I don't know if I'll track this one down either. Interesting pick, though.

• Like 1

I thought it might have been Blues Brothers based on the previous clues.

No, I can't quite bear the idea of anyone saying anything negative about The Blues Brothers. Even tomspanks' three stars on Letterboxd still stings.

• Like 5

My wife said she wouldn't watch it if it was Moulin Rouge. Too sad.

• Like 2

I don't care for Baz Luhrmann. I don't know if I'll track this one down either. Interesting pick, though.

I think its streaming...I know I've seen it on either Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu.

• Like 2