🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 4 (Cakebug Tranch's Pick)

I kind of hate it and everyone involved in it (but not as much as Tommy, obviously)

I know this is going to be controversial, but I think I preferred Tommy. Sorry, CakeBug, but this is kind of a mess.

(I wrote so much more, but I guess I should wait...)

• Like 2

I know this is going to be controversial, but I think I preferred Tommy. Sorry, CakeBug, but this is kind of a mess.

welp.gif

I was thinking about this this morning and thought 'oh, maybe I should have picked 'West Side Story' or something that everyone would enjoy', but then I thought, naw, fuck it, I'd rather pick something that engenders a strong response and good conversation. So, a couple of us love it, everyone else sees it for the mess it is, it seems.

Bring on Monday!

• Like 3

welp.gif

I was thinking about this this morning and thought 'oh, maybe I should have picked 'West Side Story' or something that everyone would enjoy', but then I thought, naw, fuck it, I'd rather pick something that engenders a strong response and good conversation. So, a couple of us love it, everyone else sees it for the mess it is, it seems.

Bring on Monday!

Oh, don't feel bad. I don't want Musical Mondays to be just "good" and "simple" movies all the time. I want to be challenged--it makes this more interesting. I'm looking forward to Monday.

Seriously, Thank You... and I Hate You :)

• Like 3

Oh, don't feel bad. I don't want Musical Mondays to be just "good" and "simple" movies all the time. I want to be challenged--it makes this more interesting. I'm looking forward to Monday.

Seriously, Thank You... and I Hate You :)

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Also, there is 100% less child abuse and sexual assault in this movie, so...

• Like 5

Also, there is 100% less child abuse and sexual assault in this movie, so...

But it does have plot that I don't have to keep going back and saying, "oh, yeah, and i forgot, there's this other person, and you kind of think it's going to be about them for a little bit, but then it's not, but then they reappear again a half an hour later after you've forgotten all about them, and then you wonder if it's about them again...but it's not...but it kind of is."

• Like 2

But it does have plot that I don't have to keep going back and saying, "oh, yeah, and i forgot, there's this other person, and you kind of think it's going to be about them for a little bit, but then it's not, but then they reappear again a half an hour later after you've forgotten all about them, and then you wonder if it's about them again...but it's not...but it kind of is."

Ahh, but this is apples versus oranges here. 'Tommy' was written as a cohesive musical, with songs written specifically to move the narrative along, whereas 'Across' is a Jukebox Musical, where the songs have little to do with each other and thus the narrative is stalled every time the music starts. Hence, the need to say 'Hey, remember JoJo from 40 minutes ago? We need him again now!' - but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Plus, still: no child abuse.

• Like 2

Ahh, but this is apples versus oranges here. 'Tommy' was written as a cohesive musical, with songs written specifically to move the narrative along, whereas 'Across' is a Jukebox Musical, where the songs have little to do with each other and thus the narrative is stalled every time the music starts. Hence, the need to say 'Hey, remember JoJo from 40 minutes ago? We need him again now!' - but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I can't discuss this without getting "into it." Don't try to goad me!

• Like 2

You want to know another movie better than Across the Universe? Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

I didn't "not like" Tommy because of the child abuse--although it wasn't exactly a fun thing to watch--so let's not pretend AtU's exclusion of child abuse somehow makes it better.

• Like 2

You want to know another movie better than Across the Universe? Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

I didn't "not like" Tommy because of the child abuse--although it wasn't exactly a fun thing to watch--so let's not pretend AtU's exclusion of child abuse somehow makes it better.

That's true. 'Goonies' is better than it too. So is 'Back to the Future'. Here's how we'll fill our time between now and Monday!

• Like 3

I was about to respond to you with Work Hard or Die Tryin' Girl but your spoiler ruined that fun for me lol.

Still one of my favorite episodes of all time.

I keep seeing Working Girl when I scroll through Netflix, and every time I think, "You mean the sassy sister film to Die Hard?"

It's also one of my favorite episodes, along with "The Equestrenauts."

My favorite episodes are the Tina episodes. You'd be surprised how easy it is to work in "erotic friend fiction" into everyday conversation.

• Like 5

That's true. 'Goonies' is better than it too. So is 'Back to the Future'. Here's how we'll fill our time between now and Monday!

templeofdoomshortroundindybros.gif?1352611533

• Like 3

My favorite episodes are the Tina episodes. You'd be surprised how easy it is to work in "erotic friend fiction" into everyday conversation.

Yes! "Bad Tina" and "Sexy Dance Fighting" are also two of my favorites.

• Like 5

*waiting with bated breath to see what masterpiece line from this movie makes it into Cameron H's signature*

giphy.gif

• Like 2

*waiting with bated breath to see what masterpiece line from this movie makes it into Cameron H's signature*

giphy.gif

635908432670392672-769334031_tumblr_n2va98cYXh1qbjx1wo1_500.gif

• Like 1

Simon_amstell_buzzcocks_shocked_and_appalled.gif

• Like 4

Taylor:

TwoOfUs.gif

I just wanted to say, my Across the Universe experience wasn't completely negative. I just had some issues with it. I don't want everyone to think I'm a complete monster.

• Like 2

I just signed up for the Amazon Prime monthly membership to replace Netflix. I want to watch AtU, Airborne, Highlander 2 and several others I'm missing from the HDTGM podcast. Thanks everyone for helping me pull the trigger.

Side note for the name discussion: DeNio is my real last name. At one job a person started calling me Cinco (a la Cinco de Mayo) and I liked it.

• Like 5

I feel like CakeBug is about to see a comment I made on one of his reviews and we're about to have a real issue...

• Like 4