🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 4 (Cakebug Tranch's Pick)

While my guitar gently weeps by Regina Spektor

I saw her in concert a few months ago and was a little sad she didn't bust this one out.

• Like 3

Me: Let's see what Cakebug's pick was for today...

*6 pages of chatter later*

Anyway, I'm excited for this one. I've been kind of eyeing it for my non-forums musicals, but I've also been wary because 1) I'm not really a Beatles fan (although that sounds like it might actually work in my favor here), and 2) all the musical fans I know have shit all over it. But I'm looking forward to checking it out.

After Tommy, nothing can be all THAT bad.

• Like 6

After Tommy, nothing can be all THAT bad.

I don't know...if this movie is terrible, I'm seriously considering recommending Head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNdtqzm-v-w

That's right! All my picks from this point forward will be made out of spite. Enjoy!

And it's posted in its entirety on YouTube...

• Like 5

I don't know...if this movie is terrible, I'm seriously considering recommending Head.

That's right! All my picks from this point forward will be made out of spite. Enjoy!

I like this movie. I've never seen it 100% clear-headed, but it's interesting enough to watch it once.

• Like 2

Head's fucking weird. My roommate when I was in my 20s used to get really high and watch it, like, once a week, so I've seen it a few times.

Fun connection: Jack Nicholson co-wrote and has a cameo in Head. Maybe that's why The Who decided they needed him for Tommy eight years later.

• Like 5

It's crazy George is ranked #1.

But...is it really?

ETA: And I mainly linked that as it has mine and Jack's picks. I don't think 24 Hour Party Pizza is going to be too stoked about this movie...

• Like 5

But...is it really?

George is my #1! My peers preferred John or Paul though. I was under the impression that I was the minority.

• Like 4

George is my #1! My peers preferred John or Paul though. I was under the impression that I was the minority.

George is not only the best (even though I love all all of them), but the most handsome as well--as I attest on page 2 of that thread :)

• Like 5

George is not only the best (even though I love all all of them), but the most handsome as well--as I attest on page 2 of that thread :)

He's dreamy

:wub:

• Like 4

Head is a better musical than Across The Universe (I imagine).

I like The Monkees more than The Beatles. Cameron is right about me.

Other bands that are better than The Beatles: The Kinks, Beach Boys, The Shangri-las, Velvet Underground, Modern Lovers, The Sonics, The Left Banke, Van Dyke Parks, Kevin Ayers, Can, Kraftwerk, Television, The Stooges, Os Mutantes, Black Sabbath, T. Rex, Mott the Hoople, various Smithsonian Folkways recordings, nvm I could do this basically forever.

I love Julie Taymor to pieces though, so I'll suffer through this like the bitter contrarian I am.

• Like 2

Head is a better musical than Across The Universe (I imagine).

I like The Monkees more than The Beatles. Cameron is right about me.

Other bands that are better than The Beatles: The Kinks, Beach Boys, The Sonics, The Left Banke, Van Dyke Parks, Kevin Ayers, Os Mutantes, Black Sabbath, T. Rex, Mott the Hoople, nvm I could do this basically forever.

I love Julie Taymor to pieces though, so I'll suffer through this like the bitter contrarian I am.

All great bands! I even like The Monkees a great deal. I just think they get a bum rap (by the end, they were definitely a band, it shouldn't matter how they became one). I just like The Beatles more. ;)

• Like 2

I completely forgot that James Urbaniak was in this movie! What a pleasant surprise!

Go Team Venture!

• Like 4

Go Team Venture!

If y'all don't watch Difficult People on Hulu, you're missing out on the 2nd best Urbaniak (behind Venture Bros, of course).

• Like 2

Letterboxd says:

Taylor rewatched, also liked and rated Across the Universe ★★★★½ on Monday Feb 6, 2017

Yaaaaa

• Like 4

Why take off half a star?

Because I recognize it's not perfect but it still fills me up with joy

• Like 4

As I was watching this it was driving me crazy where I recognized Max from. It didn't hit to me until almost the end that he was Mason Verger on Hannibal! With Eddie Izzard that makes two Hannibal people in this movie. I miss Hannibal...

This movie is full of little parts with people like Dr. Venture, The Lizard, Mr. Noodle, and that guy from the Matrix. Shame most of them get only a few lines.

• Like 3

Cakebug, sorry I badmouthed your pick; especially since I've never even seen it.

• Like 2