🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 155.5 - Minisode 155.5

I will once again reiterate how done I am with these guys. Just done.

Please, HDTGM crew, give them their own podcast and get them off the minisodes. I'm tired of having to FF over them every week now. I gave them a chance. I'm done.

Avaryl is a massive part of the HDTGM family and plays a huge part in the show, especially the live shows, so I think you better get used to pressing that fast forward button. And they have their own show on YouTube and it's hilarious. You should check it out.

• Like 3

Avaryl is a massive part of the HDTGM family and plays a huge part in the show, especially the live shows, so I think you better get used to pressing that fast forward button. And they have their own show on YouTube and it's hilarious. You should check it out.

I wildly disagree with the last two sentences, but I definitely agree with the first. I can accept that I'm not the intended audience for these bits, so as soon as I hear the words "movie bitches," I just start skipping ahead until I'm past the part that sounds like it was recorded in a bath tub. It's really not that taxing.

• Like 4

I wildly disagree with the last two sentences, but I definitely agree with the first. I can accept that I'm not the intended audience for these bits, so as soon as I hear the words "movie bitches," I just start skipping ahead until I'm past the part that sounds like it was recorded in a bath tub. It's really not that taxing.

Yes, me too. I figure that its continued presence is a trade-off for the hard work Avaryl does behind the scenes, and putting up with skipping 90 seconds ahead to ensure quality pro-bono work that makes the podcast better seems okay to me. I don't enjoy the tone of people being bitchy about things (as opposed to HDTGM, which is much more analytical about it) so this isn't for me. I remain mystified by the sound quality though.

• Like 2

alot of negativity today ... valentines really brings out the emotions huh ... i know what will cheer us all up ... June is in a new Netflix show ... amazing looking cast. i'll try to watch it later. i'm still sitting at the door waiting for the postman to come back. i'm sure he just forgot my card when he was making deliveries this morning. or maybe its stuck between the seats of his van or something ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2L0100_Yp4

• Like 1

How about this for a nice distraction?

FORUM GAME!

Favorite Romantic Movies and Favorite Love Songs.

Go!

Easy Cam! Two answers, one video!

giphy.gif

J/K, I'll come back and take this seriously in a bit. :P

• Like 3

please tell me there's a character in that movie (the matchmaker) called patrick

According to IMDb there is a "Pat." Is that close enough?

• Like 1

How about this for a nice distraction?

FORUM GAME!

Favorite Romantic Movies and Favorite Love Songs.

Go!

Okay, serious answer now. Favourite Romantic Movie:

That's easy:

shakespeare-in-love-poster.jpeg

Favorite Love Song:

I'll pick two current favourites:

• Like 3

I used to love Shakespeare in Love, but I haven't seen it in a really long time. I wonder if it would still hold up for me...

I also love "Home," although, due to Raising Hope, I've always associated it more with familial love than romantic love.

• Like 1

if that's who she's addressing as paddy then it's fine ... otherwise she's getting into a very grey area. i'll give them the benefit of the doubt

Oh no, I'm pretty sure Paddy is used here as a generic term for Irishman. This is the same movie where Janeane Garofalo is told that she should come out with them 'for the craic' and she thinks they want her to smoke crack. I'm 100% sure this isn't a movie designed for consumption by Irish people. Or am I misremembering, Cameron? Also: hey, remember that period in the mid-90's where they were trying to make the Janeane Garofalo as romantic lead thing happen? I like her a lot, but it never really made sense to me.

• Like 2

I don't know, guys. I really don't feel like defending it. It's just the only rom-com I've ever really liked. I'm pretty sure her character uses the term "paddy" as a derogatory term because her character is supposed to be terrible and awful. I haven't watched it in forever.

I like the scenery, the music (mainly Shane MacGowan if I recall correctly), and a lot of the humor. I also found out today that it was at least partially written by Graham Linehan which would probably account for a lot of what I liked about it.

• Like 2

I don't know, guys. I really don't feel like defending it. It's just the only rom-com I've ever really liked. I'm pretty sure her character uses the term "paddy" as a derogatory term because her character is supposed to be terrible and awful. I haven't watched it in forever.

I can't even come up with a top 3 because I love the romantic comedy genre so much.

• Like 4

I can't even come up with a top 3 because I love the romantic comedy genre so much.

List ALL of them!

• Like 2

Another love song I really like (although it might require some context)

"Champagne" from In the Heights

• Like 2

I don't know, guys. I really don't feel like defending it.

ah no, it looks fine. the trailer had a bit of wit and charm and there's some good actors in it so i'd say its worth a view. that line is out of context. it looks more like flirtatious banter than anything. the real problem i have with it is that it reminded me of the truly awful "leap year" ... now that was offensive .. on every level

• Like 3

ah no, it looks fine. the trailer had a bit of wit and charm and there's some good actors in it so i'd say its worth a view. that line is out of context. it looks more like flirtatious banter than anything. the real problem i have with it is that it reminded me of the truly awful "leap year" ... now that was offensive .. on every level

I never saw Leap Year, but I'll be sure to avoid it ;) Like I said, I'm not much for Rom-Com. Which works out since my wife hates them.

Do you have one that you like?

• Like 2

No joke - Leap Year is one of my favs.

• Like 6

List ALL of them!

Most of them are what I consider the movie equivalent of junk food. I know it's not good for me, but it's like dopamine being released in my reward center. So off the top of my head, I would say You've Got Mail, The Proposal, While You Were Sleeping, aforementioned Leap Year (apologies to the fine people of Ireland), Clueless (yes, this counts), Manfield Park, and Bringing Up Baby/Holiday because I can't separate those two. Most recently, Sabrina (1954). Outside of rom-coms, I would say In the Mood for Love.

Songs: The Beach Boys God Only Knows (shut up, it was my wedding song)

Stevie Wonder I Believe (When I Fall in Love)

Bon Iver Skinny Love

• Like 4

Do you have one that you like?

i've been trying to think but it's not a genre i'm drawn to. i can list of a few dvd's i have but it's the com elements rather than the rom that made me buy them:

there's something about mary

groundhog day

the princess bride

the shop around the corner

some like it hot

i'm sure if you listed off more i'd be like "oh yeah ... i really like that .."

as for songs i could go down the easy route and list off a few U2 songs but ill go a different way. now, before i post this first one you should know that i am terrible at getting lyrics. i miss read alot of songs. i'm not sure this is even a love song. at best it's probably a lust song but it's a song i find myself listening to alot during the summer.

and then there's bryan adams unplugged version of heaven .. you're setting me off now ..

• Like 3

51EEPG81WVL.jpg

Don't know if this counts since it's a mini-series. But it's probably my favorite "romance"

And it's usually really hard for me to pin down a favorite for anything, but I end up binge-ing it once a year at some point (last few years at least) since I love it so much

And for songs that's hard but two of my current favs are:

Ed Sheeran- Kiss me

Musiq Soulchild- Love

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this