🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays-Week 5-Across the Universe

Speaking of Paco - I didn't realize it until my rewatch that he is played by Logan Marshall-Green Bobo Tom Hardy of Prometheus fame and was the star of my fave movie last year The Invitation.

FTFY

• Like 4

Since I so rarely get to talk Beatles, and I don't know when I'll have an opportunity again (I mean, at least not until Cam Bert picks Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band next week, right?), I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share some underrated Beatles songs. Not your favorite songs necessarily, just underrated. I'll also count solo material.

(....And I guess covers can count too...*grumble, grumble, grumble*)

Here are my top three picks--which I can't embed because sometimes life sucks.

1) "It's All Too Much" George Harrison, Yellow Submarine

2) "Baby, You're a Rich Man" Lennon/McCartney, Magical Mystery Tour

3) "Your Mother Should Know" Lennon/McCartney, Magical Mystery Tour

• Like 4

Some people might disagree, but I think "In My Life" is underrated.

ETA: What's underrated when it comes to the Beatles though? I feel like everyone has heard every song at least once, no?

ETA2: I wish AtU had included Penny Lane. Is that underrated? Do you think Taymor was mad that Almost Famous already did the Penny Lane character?

• Like 4

ETA: What's underrated when it comes to the Beatles though? I feel like everyone has heard every song at least once, no?

Hmmm...I would say anything not on a Greatest Hits Album. I'm actually listening to "I'm Looking Through You" right now and I would consider that to be one.

• Like 3

Hmmm...I would say anything not on a Greatest Hits Album. I'm actually listening to "I'm Looking Through You" right now and I would consider that to be one.

Is Two of Us underrated? I like that one a lot, but I think most people have heard it.

Back to Across the Universe - I can't stop talking about it. It taught me something. I alluded to this earlier, but Jude makes a "British people have bad teeth" joke with Lucy and tells her that her teeth are perfect. She says "haven't you heard of braces? [you big idiot]" Jude says yes, he's heard of them, and they're used to "keep our trousers up." I didn't know braces meant suspenders in the UK!

knowing.jpg

• Like 4

Is Two of Us underrated? I like that one a lot, but I think most people have heard it.

Back to Across the Universe - I can't stop talking about it. It taught me something. I alluded to this earlier, but Jude makes a "British people have bad teeth" joke with Lucy and tells her that her teeth are perfect. She says "haven't you heard of braces? [you big idiot]" Jude says yes, he's heard of them, and they're used to "keep our trousers up." I didn't know braces meant suspenders in the UK!

knowing.jpg

I'd say "Two of Us" is underrated--and wonderful. It's a deeper cut, and I would say, often overshadowed by "Let it Be," "The Long and Winding Road," "Across the Universe" and "Get Back" from the same album.

Speaking of Let it Be (the album) another favorite song of mine that I don't think gets enough credit is "I've Got a Feeling." I love that song!

• Like 3

Is the problem it's not available to stream anywhere or that we'd have to pay money to stream it? If it's the latter, I wouldn't worry too much. I'm more than willing to throw down a couple of ducats here and there. If not, we're going to get into some dregs pretty fast.

I'm using that "Can I Stream it?" site and it says it's not available for streaming on Netflix and things like that but for digital rental it did come up on Amazon. I'm still considering my options, but is $2.99 reasonable to most?

Since I so rarely get to talk Beatles, and I don't know when I'll have an opportunity again (I mean, at least not until Cam Bert picks Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band next week, right?), I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share some underrated Beatles songs. Not your favorite songs necessarily, just underrated. I'll also count solo material.

Shh... don't spoil it! (I am secretly fascinated with that movie though)

As for underrated you're the Beatles expert so not sure if these count but I don't think they ever make it onto Best of's but I've always liked Blackbird and I've Just Seen a Face. Also, I'm slightly bias because it is one of my favourite's but Maxwell's Silver Hammer I think gets credit for being weird but you have to appreciate the mind wormy-ness of the lyrics and tune.

• Like 2

I'm using that "Can I Stream it?" site and it says it's not available for streaming on Netflix and things like that but for digital rental it did come up on Amazon. I'm still considering my options, but is $2.99 reasonable to most?

Shh... don't spoil it! (I am secretly fascinated with that movie though)

As for underrated you're the Beatles expert so not sure if these count but I don't think they ever make it onto Best of's but I've always liked Blackbird and I've Just Seen a Face. Also, I'm slightly bias because it is one of my favourite's but Maxwell's Silver Hammer I think gets credit for being weird but you have to appreciate the mind wormy-ness of the lyrics and tune.

Personally, I have zero issues with 2.99. I mean I get that sometimes 3 bucks can mean a lot, but I don't want the fact that a movie is not available on Netflix or Amazon or whatever to deter anyone from making a suggestion. I'd say, suggest away, and if enough of us say in your "Pick Week" thread that they can't do it, then maybe think of something else since it would be boring if only two people watch it. But I really don't want this to be "Musicals (that are only available on Netflix) Mondays." The same thing goes for movies still in the theaters. If you want to suggest one that's cool, just know that some people might not be able to make it. Shoot, I've got two in mind for the future--one is available in its entirety on YouTube, and one is only available to purchase for 5 bucks.

So, thank you for your consideration, but please don't make that a factor when making your pick :)

This is an open group, and I think we all need to be honest with each other without fear of being judged. If for whatever reason you can't see a movie, just say so. We can decide on a case by case basis if it behooves the picker to choose something else. I fully get that we might not all have the means to see every suggestion. This is a low pressure situation. No one should feel obligated to see everything.

As for the other thing, I'd say yes to all three.I love all of those picks (I'm noticing a trend here. Apparently I love all of these songs :P ) And "Blackbird" in particular as it was the third song I ever learned to play on the guitar.

• Like 4

Thank you Cameron. I do have two more in in mind for backup and depending on what people say I am more than willing to change. I hope not to because according to Letterboxd nobody has seen the one I want to do, or at least haven't marked it watched if they have. I'm pretty sure CakeBug has seen it though.

Also, I just realised that I believe all three of my pick's were Paul songs weren't they?

• Like 4

Also, I just realised that I believe all three of my pick's were Paul songs weren't they?

They are indeed you dirty McCartney lover!

tumblr_mb5ee95U4r1r8nok4o1_500.gif

• Like 4

They are indeed you dirty McCartney lover!

tumblr_mb5ee95U4r1r8nok4o1_500.gif

I feel like I'm cheating on George, my true Beatle love

• Like 5

The xXx thread is such a bummer without you guys commenting. :(

I'll go watch this tonight. Grumble, grumble.

• Like 4

The xXx thread is such a bummer without you guys commenting. :(

Hey, CakeBug, don't make it bad...

Take a bummer thread and make it better.

After all...

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Hey, CakeBug, don't make it bad...

Take a bummer thread and make it better.

After all...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Really?!?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Do it! But go to an Alamo or somewhere that serves alcohol. It's much better after a drink or two.

• Like 5

Really?!?

The episode convinced me. Although now I see it's no longer playing at my local theater.

Do it! But go to an Alamo or somewhere that serves alcohol. It's much better after a drink or two.

It never played at my Alamo.

6a8764d3a69c3a8b1cbc2a828dedee90.gif

Lego movie tomorrow at the Alamo though!

• Like 4

The episode convinced me.

...I haven't listened to it yet.

TSwift-Sorry-11.gif

• Like 4

It never played at my Alamo.

Lego movie tomorrow at the Alamo though!

Ugh. They only played it here at one theater, and it was the one way up north, and they only seemed to show it for, like, a week. I ended up going to a non-Alamo theater for the second time in about 5 years, but they served beer, and I got to yell at some kids to shut up, so that was cool.

• Like 4