🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DaltonMaltz

Episode 324 - Ironic Love Songs

Howard and Kulap welcome comedian, actor, and musician Henry Phillips to talk about celebrity toothbrush caches and the Lady Gaga/Metallica Grammys performance. Henry talks about working alongside an all-star comedy cast in the new film “Punching Henry” before sharing his passion for radio on a special Valentine’s Music Chart. Then, he reminisces with Howard about the good old days during the Movie Chart, and Stard shares his childhood summah memories on Two Charted.

Great ep, found out there was video of these on facebook, I discovered 'WC?' on those old VPN shows, so that makes me happy.

Also, 'you alrite' is the single most popular way you're greeted in England nowadays, depressingly.

• Like 1

Really hoping they can go out and do a tour, and I consider 'Stard to be integral to the group Earwolf, make it possible!

If they're looking for some partners on this pod-tour, I know its a different Pod-family but they should get in with the Doughboys, who are also constantly talking about the need to get on the road to taste and review some regional restaurants outside their home area. I know they've had on Kulap, but maybe Howie can do an appearance with them on some veggie friendly place, and Wiger/Mitch can come on Who Charted to promote this sucker

Loved the story Henry had right before he left about the phone call. Seems like something perfect for a movie.

I really hope the person who trolled Ku's dog pictures doesn't post here. In fact I hope they stop listening all together. They don't deserve this show.

I think he did, two weeks ago.

As someone who's expressed disappointment about the Origin Story situation, here's my two cents - Obviously that guy was being a dick and was not choosing the right way or place to address the situation. And I totally get why the guys would stand up for Ku. That said, I don't really agree with a lot of what they said. My biggest issues were always 1) the lack of updates, and 2) the extent to which BDP has seemingly been prioritized over OS. OS Contributors used to get regular e-mail updates, and Ku would talk about it frequently on WC. Now, it's been NOTHING for months. (And I don't buy that constant discussions of BDP's production schedule count as a de facto status update on OS.) I never thought that the money from OS was going toward BDP, and I guess I would have been surprised if it literally never ended up getting finished, but I'm very surprised (pleasantly, obviously) by the progress that seems to be happening (that said, I just looked it up and Sundance happened like a month ago, so I guess she's shooting for next year's, which would be 11 months from now?). Honestly, a 30-second update to that effect once a month would have been plenty, just to give the sense that it was at least on the back burner as opposed to off the stove entirely. I also don't really agree that contributors (and I do think "contributors" is a more appropriate term than "donor") shouldn't feel entitled to some extent. I've never been big on crowd funding, but this experience has made me skeptical enough about the whole process that I'll probably never do it again. Bottom line, I'm disappointed by how slow the process was and the lack of info along the way, but ultimately fine with it all if the progress discussed here actually comes to fruition.

• Like 1

I think he did, two weeks ago.

As someone who's expressed disappointment about the Origin Story situation, here's my two cents - Obviously that guy was being a dick and was not choosing the right way or place to address the situation. And I totally get why the guys would stand up for Ku. That said, I don't really agree with a lot of what they said. My biggest issues were always 1) the lack of updates, and 2) the extent to which BDP has seemingly been prioritized over OS. OS Contributors used to get regular e-mail updates, and Ku would talk about it frequently on WC. Now, it's been NOTHING for months. (And I don't buy that constant discussions of BDP's production schedule count as a de facto status update on OS.) I never thought that the money from OS was going toward BDP, and I guess I would have been surprised if it literally never ended up getting finished, but I'm very surprised (pleasantly, obviously) by the progress that seems to be happening (that said, I just looked it up and Sundance happened like a month ago, so I guess she's shooting for next year's, which would be 11 months from now?). Honestly, a 30-second update to that effect once a month would have been plenty, just to give the sense that it was at least on the back burner as opposed to off the stove entirely. I also don't really agree that contributors (and I do think "contributors" is a more appropriate term than "donor") shouldn't feel entitled to some extent. I've never been big on crowd funding, but this experience has made me skeptical enough about the whole process that I'll probably never do it again. Bottom line, I'm disappointed by how slow the process was and the lack of info along the way, but ultimately fine with it all if the progress discussed here actually comes to fruition.

I didn't donate because there's no way I could excuse donating to the making of one's documentary when I don't have the funds available to live an anywhere near comfortable life despite having a solid steady job and being smart with my money, but if I did I have to assume I'd be pretty annoyed over it.

As an avid listener of WhoCh, it sure seemed to me that BDP happened and it was kind of like 'awesome, this is such a great thing to make and people are watching it and its fun' while the documentary that time was spent funding was just left for when this other opportunity dried up. I do think that if you reach out for donations to make a passion project you have a responsibility to actually follow through on that. I'd guess many people donated money who are not wealthy or frivolous with their money but truly wanted to help someone they are a fan of be able to complete their passion project correctly.

This isn't a situation where a starving artist needed a little help to present their life's work, so the mere fact that so much money was raised should give one the impetus to work hard on it and find the time to get it done and offer updates that it's happening. Since I didn't donate I can't be angry about anything regarding the doc, but I have to agree and say that I found listening to that part of this week's episode a bit grating.

• Like 1

This isn't a situation where a starving artist needed a little help to present their life's work, so the mere fact that so much money was raised should give one the impetus to work hard on it and find the time to get it done and offer updates that it's happening.

Well said. I totally get that doing BDP is a great opportunity, and it's probably unrealistic to think she would get offered that and say, "Not now, I have crowd-funders to satisfy", but I do think it's a legitimate worry that it becomes a constant rolling situation where BDP does well and leads to two more seasons of BDP, and potentially more things, and they all take precedent over OS. But again, it sounds like that isn't necessarily happening, in which case it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

I didn't donate because there's no way I could excuse donating to the making of one's documentary when I don't have the funds available to live an anywhere near comfortable life despite having a solid steady job and being smart with my money, but if I did I have to assume I'd be pretty annoyed over it.

As an avid listener of WhoCh, it sure seemed to me that BDP happened and it was kind of like 'awesome, this is such a great thing to make and people are watching it and its fun' while the documentary that time was spent funding was just left for when this other opportunity dried up. I do think that if you reach out for donations to make a passion project you have a responsibility to actually follow through on that. I'd guess many people donated money who are not wealthy or frivolous with their money but truly wanted to help someone they are a fan of be able to complete their passion project correctly.

This isn't a situation where a starving artist needed a little help to present their life's work, so the mere fact that so much money was raised should give one the impetus to work hard on it and find the time to get it done and offer updates that it's happening. Since I didn't donate I can't be angry about anything regarding the doc, but I have to agree and say that I found listening to that part of this week's episode a bit grating.

I do agree in most senses. I did donate, and I have been annoyed that there's been no updates. It's not entitlement, I didn't expect a movie to be turned around in a year and delivered on my doorstep or anything. When it's done it's done, but I'd like to know the progress along the way. She provided updates in this episode that could've been told to us at any time.

However, the way the commenter went about it was completely ridiculous, and then to argue with her and others in a continually shitty way. Getting no updates isn't an excuse to be a shithead. There's ways to express frustration without being a cunt but I guess that's just the internet for you.

• Like 1

I do agree in most senses. I did donate, and I have been annoyed that there's been no updates. It's not entitlement, I didn't expect a movie to be turned around in a year and delivered on my doorstep or anything. When it's done it's done, but I'd like to know the progress along the way. She provided updates in this episode that could've been told to us at any time.

However, the way the commenter went about it was completely ridiculous, and then to argue with her and others in a continually shitty way. Getting no updates isn't an excuse to be a shithead. There's ways to express frustration without being a cunt but I guess that's just the internet for you.

Indeed!

Sign in to follow this