🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bluto183

Starship Troopers (1997)

On the surface this movie played like a heaping pile of shit (albeit a fun one), but it's actually an amazing satire of war and propaganda that was somehow overlooked as such at the time. This would be a great movie to dig into.

• Like 1

Good choice. It's so many different movies at once. A satire of fascist propaganda that's actually played straight, and played straight quite well. The result of that is that it's a really bad movie. It really is an oddity.

Good choice. It's so many different movies at once. A satire of fascist propaganda that's actually played straight, and played straight quite well. The result of that is that it's a really bad movie. It really is an oddity.

I've never felt like this was a bad movie, I might be totally crazy but I've always really enjoyed this film.

• Like 3

I was always confused by why Neil Patrick Harris all of a sudden looks deathly ill once he's made the head of Science or whatever the fuck he is. For a minute I thought he was under control of the Bugs like other soldiers were shown to be.

• Like 1

I was always confused by why Neil Patrick Harris all of a sudden looks deathly ill once he's made the head of Science or whatever the fuck he is. For a minute I thought he was under control of the Bugs like other soldiers were shown to be.

Yeah, me too! I assume it had something to do with his psychic abilities -- there was probably something cut that explained this, otherwise I'm not sure why he shows up looking like that at the end.

This is an incredibly fun movie. If they do cover this movie it had better be in the vein of Face/Off or Con Air.

This would make for a great episode though, although I can almost guarantee the episode would go off the rails as they attempted to decipher the football hybrid game that happens in the first 20 min of the movie.

This is a very enjoyable movie. The Nazi imagery is so overt it makes George Lucas look subtle. And because the satire is so broad and crazy, it makes some of the very bad actors (like Van Dien and Richards) look like they're doing a thing instead of just being awful robots that can't act.

Having seen the first sequel to this which was a piece of shit, I was amazed to read somewhere that the third one was actually bad in a good way, but mainly because it took  an odd turn of somehow having religion be what kills bugs in a satirical/non-satirical way.

I dont know why but it's hilarious to me that Casper Van Dien wasnt in the second one but ended up being in the third one. It's like by the time the third one was being filmed his career was in no position for him to turn it down. 

Yeah the Van Dien experiment died around the time of Sleepy Hollow, and never recovered.

Sign in to follow this