Episode 156 - xXx: Return of Xander Cage: LIVE!

171 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 4,938 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:54 PM

Adam Scott joins Paul, June, and Jason for a family reunion to discuss Vin Diesel’s fan fiction to himself, xXx: Return of Xander Cage. Recorded live from Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles, they cover everything from forest skiing to riding motorcycles underwater. Plus, a xXx and Fast & Furious crossover is pitched during Audience Q&A!

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.
listen to scott aukerman on the latest ep of my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:40 PM

Well, now to enter lurk mode. See you all in two weeks!

Posted Image
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#3 Smigg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:01 AM

Excellent, I skipped last weeks, so I'm all in for this one.

#4 Max_Svalgard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:30 AM

The reason that Xander has the xXx tattoo is, as Gibbons says "You have three X's tattooed on the back of your neck. I think that's rather appropriate, since you're looking at three strikes. Grand theft auto, reckless endangerment, and that little bridge stunt of yours makes you a three-time loser. Maybe you ought to call yourself "Triple X." But if you do what I want, I'll make all your little recent criminal transgressions go away and let you get back to that pathetic excuse of a life."

It is that moment that he offers Xander to join his spy cell. It is only because of Xander that it is called "The Triple X Program" and when Darius Stone is chosen it is because he is of a similar mentality(He is serving time in Jail, 9 years of a 20 year sentance and is a former Navy Seal...A perfect candidate.).

Edit: Also every lead agent of The Triple X Program has a specialty. Xander's just so happens to be extreme sports, Darius' is hijacking and souping up cars/tanks and diving(He's a navy seal after all) and Neymar's is Soccer.

Double Edit: Just got to the end of the episode and they go over the Tattoo.

#5 Atypical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:41 AM

I can't wait until they retire Xanders fur jacket and put it in the Smithsonian right next to Indiana Jones's!

#6 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:42 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 16 February 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

Well, now to enter lurk mode. See you all in two weeks!

I'm with you, bro. ;)

Posted Image
Walker: Hey, I know all the good words.

Timecop (1994)

Gaston: It was a bore!

Gigi (1958)

#7 bella_008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationPursat, Cambodia

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:11 AM

I know Hollywood can be incredibly ageist and sexist when it comes to casting actresses who are over 25, but the age gaps for Vin Diesels love interests in this movie are beyond insane.

The age differences

Nina Dobrev - 21 years
Deepika Padukone - 19 years
Hermione Corfield (British Chick)- 25 years
Ariana Arevalo (village girl from the beginning)- 25 years

Like seriously WTF - also all brunettes not a blonde in the bunch. Nina Dobrev was great but now I can totally see that scene in my head with June playing it and it would've been 100% funnier.

#8 bella_008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationPursat, Cambodia

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:17 AM

Just on a physics thing, even on the zero gravity planes NASA uses to train, you only get about 30 seconds of zero g's per dip. This film has them being weightless for about 10 minutes also any sort of fighting in zero g's is super ineffectual because you don't have any force behind you.

#9 ZARATHUSTRA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:53 AM

Posted Image

ahahhahahahhahahahhaahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahahhhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahaahahhahahahhahahahhaahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahahhhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahaahahhahahahhahahahhaahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahahhhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahhaha

(desperate gasp)

ahahahhahahahhaahahhahahahaahhahaahahahhahahhahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahhaahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahahhhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahhaha
Awaiting January 19, 2018.
The day the Paywall Episode goes behind the Paywall.

#10 ZARATHUSTRA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:13 AM

Posted Image

It's crowning

#11 ZARATHUSTRA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:34 AM

Takeaways:

1. This movie made $100 million in Mainland China in 6 days. Such is the power (and awesomeness) of Donnie Yen. If you're new to Donnie Yen check out his scene in Hero.

2. Vin Diesel is King of the Douchebags and Zuckerberg is just like all the other douchebag nerds I've met.

3. "When did this turn into beautiful world?" and all I could think of was Devo's cathartic (and strangely prescient) masterpiece:

4. June must have been raised Catholic because 'eating-sushi-in-a-cinema' guilt sounds like a classic example of Catholic guilt

5. Does anyone know the clip they played at the end? There's music throughout so I couldn't tell what was happening.

#12 LTL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:41 AM

When Paul announced this, a new film was the pick.. I was disappointed that it's a NEW movie... and I had to go to the theater . COMPLETELY forgot that I already seen it . It was that forgettable.
I feel EXACTLY like June.

#13 24 Hour Party Pizza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationCascadia

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:27 AM

June wastes no time reminding us why we love her so much. This House Bunny sushi tangent is classic JDR.

And I love how Jason always slips up and reveals his nerd power level -- "They were trying to Greedo-shot-first this scene!"

#14 newjoshcity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:56 AM

First, if the threat is 250,000 satellites which they plan on dropping 1 a day, satellites will be raining down for nearly 685 years.

Second, when we get our xXx/Fast and Furious crossover, I demand the movie ends with xXx and Dom having so much respect for each other that they gift each other their jacket and necklace as they part ways.

#15 24 Hour Party Pizza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationCascadia

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

HOLY SHIT

#16 What's Its Mission?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

What I found truly amazing, is that within the first 3 minutes, this film deposits the idea that super heroes exist in this universe.

Neymar's title card says that he was under the assumption he was being recruited for The Avengers. So I ask:

1) What ability does Neymar bring to the table when The Avengers is made up of folks like a Greek God or a Giant Green Monster. Is it simply for the fact that he has fancy footwork? What would be his superhero alter ego... Dropshot?
2) And if The Avengers exist, why is the government entrusting this over-the-hill, X-sports douchebag when they can reach out to Tony Stark or Capt America?

Oh and let's not unpack the mind bending reality that Nick Fury now has a functioning right eye.

So this raced through my head and I knew it was only going to get worse... for the better!

Pete the "S" Man

Posted Image

#17 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

Okay but June yelling, "It's a coat!" over and over is so far my favorite moment of this episode
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#18 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

View PostWhat's Its Mission?, on 17 February 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

1) What ability does Neymar bring to the table when The Avengers is made up of folks like a Greek God or a Giant Green Monster. Is it simply for the fact that he has fancy footwork? What would be his superhero alter ego... Dropshot?

The Avengers literally have a dude that just shoots a bow and arrow. Their standards can't be that high. (PS - you know I love Hawkeye, Taylor Anne. Please don't hurt me.)

View Postbella_008, on 17 February 2017 - 04:11 AM, said:

I know Hollywood can be incredibly ageist and sexist when it comes to casting actresses who are over 25, but the age gaps for Vin Diesels love interests in this movie are beyond insane.

The age differences

Nina Dobrev - 21 years
Deepika Padukone - 19 years
Hermione Corfield (British Chick)- 25 years
Ariana Arevalo (village girl from the beginning)- 25 years

Like seriously WTF - also all brunettes not a blonde in the bunch. Nina Dobrev was great but now I can totally see that scene in my head with June playing it and it would've been 100% funnier.

Beat me to it, ya jerk.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#19 _Bloo_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

Today is my birthday and this is literally the greatest gift I've ever received! Adam Scott and the the full crew doing XXX.

#20 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:51 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 17 February 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

The Avengers literally have a dude that just shoots a bow and arrow. Their standards can't be that high. (PS - you know I love Hawkeye, Taylor Anne. Please don't hurt me.)

Posted Image
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch