🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 99.5 - Bonus: The Pilot Episode (w/ Rich Sommer, Matt Gourley, Mark McConville, Chris Tallman)

In anticipation of the 100th episode SPONTANEANATION with Paul F. Tompkins, we present to you the never-before heard pilot episode! Featuring Matt Gourley, Mark McConville, Chris Tallman, and special interview guest Rich Sommer. They chat about how Mad Men is going to end, Rich being upset after having Citizen Kane and Battle star Galactica spoiled for him, and Rich practicing chess for 9 months to have a perfect movie moment in real life. They then improvise a story set in A Non-Tropical Resort. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano! Plus, Paul answers your Twitter questions about the show!

• Like 2

I had actually wondered why eban wasn't in some of the pictures, ill have to relisten and see if i can hear the difference

• Like 1

I'm so glad this was released, it's so much fun! Love Matt's accent fairy.

"Does your mom like pizza?"

"She did last night."

"OHHHHHHH!!!!!!"

Looking forward to the eventual Eban episode. (Eb-pisode?)

• Like 5

Wow, what a treat! I'm glad Paul waited to release this one, because it would have been a shame if the peak of the entire series ("...And a Third Thing: The Andy Kindler Game") had occurred at the very start.

• Like 2

So what was the thing that happened that made the day so strange? Did I miss them saying what it was?

My impression was that they were joking about that, not knowing when or if it would be released.

Okay, episodes in which Eban is not in the photos:

• 80 - Eugene Cordero
  • 99 - Craig Cacowski

Episode in which he's in the photo, but I don't think he was there:

• 88 - Oscar Nunez

He's not in the group photo for Scott Aukerman's ep, but there's another photo of him at the piano.

SPONT_071115_12.jpg

• Like 3

My impression was that they were joking about that, not knowing when or if it would be released.

I couldn't quite tell if they were kidding or not. If it was serious, my best guess is the day Harris Wittels died? That was Feb 19 2015, and the show premiered April 1st 2015, just over 5 weeks later, and I think PFT once said he did about 11 episodes before releasing the first one, about two a week. (RIP HARRIS)

EDIT: Never mind, I'm wrong, it was Feb 12 2015, according to the picture from the book.

I couldn't quite tell if they were kidding or not. If it was serious, my best guess is the day Harris Wittels died? That was Feb 19 2015, and the show premiered April 1st 2015, just over 5 weeks later, and I think PFT once said he did about 11 episodes before releasing the first one, about two a week. (RIP HARRIS)

EDIT: Never mind, I'm wrong, it was Feb 12 2015, according to the picture from the book.

Yeah it started to sound serious at one point, but could not tell. So this was recorded on Feb. 12, 2015?

• Like 1

Yeah it started to sound serious at one point, but could not tell. So this was recorded on Feb. 12, 2015?

It took me a second to figure out, but Paul singing Chicago was the clue I needed to realize that Rich (or Rick if you prefer) was the guest on episode 1601 of Never Not Funny which is shown as having the date of February 12, 2015 on the Earwolf website.

It took me a second to figure out, but Paul singing Chicago was the clue I needed to realize that Rich (or Rick if you prefer) was the guest on episode 1601 of Never Not Funny which is shown as having the date of February 12, 2015 on the Earwolf website.

Why would they record the same day? Isn't NNF recorded pretty far away at Matt's studio?

Why would they record the same day? Isn't NNF recorded pretty far away at Matt's studio?

It was an unseasonably warm day, so Rich wanted to put some miles on the Vespa.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this