🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 19 — Rude Behavior

We are joined by advice columnist Amy Alkon this week to discuss manners. That doesn't mean holding-up-your-pinky type etiquette, but giving-an-appropriate-hug style niceness. Whether it's a time thief on the phone, a chair hog on a plane, or a non-waver in traffic, you'll learn how to set boundaries and live happier despite our evolutionary predispositions. Never have an awkward telemarketer situation again!

We are joined by advice columnist Amy Alkon this week to discuss manners. That doesn't mean holding-up-your-pinky type etiquette, but giving-an-appropriate-hug style niceness. Whether it's a time thief on the phone, a chair hog on a plane, or a non-waver in traffic, you'll learn how to set boundaries and live happier despite our evolutionary predispositions. Never have an awkward telemarketer situation again!

I believe I got verbally humped while listening to this episode, in a good way. Great guest, great stories, another great episode guys!

I believe I got verbally humped while listening to this episode, in a good way. Great guest, great stories, another great episode guys!

Another great episode from this internationally renowned comedy podcast!

I look forward to the next time Amy is on.

Another great episode from this internationally renowned comedy podcast!

I look forward to the next time Amy is on.

Is Amy Alkon a character? Is this like-- Andy Daly doing a really good voice or something, or is this a real person?

It's a fun episode!

Is Amy Alkon a character? Is this like-- Andy Daly doing a really good voice or something, or is this a real person?

It's a fun episode!

like the podcast but this episode was not my favorite. I did not like the guest at all. thought she was pretty rude.

like the podcast but this episode was not my favorite. I did not like the guest at all. thought she was pretty rude.

My favorite part of Prof Blastoff is the riffing between Tig, Kyle and David. Today's guest seemed to have too much of an agenda for pushing her book and barreled over any opporunities for the type of discourse that is the staple of the show. Which i guess is why it was ironically rude. Cheers to the hosts for keeping classy and rolling along with a difficult show.

My favorite part of Prof Blastoff is the riffing between Tig, Kyle and David. Today's guest seemed to have too much of an agenda for pushing her book and barreled over any opporunities for the type of discourse that is the staple of the show. Which i guess is why it was ironically rude. Cheers to the hosts for keeping classy and rolling along with a difficult show.

Hey T&K&D,

This was a fun episode, like always, and my favorite part was hearing David's rude-guy-in-the-bar story. I like hearing about how people react in real-world situations when another person is behaving badly. This could have been a great two-parter, too, and I'm surprised Tig didn't chime in with her dislike of pointing! Amy has a great definition of rudeness, as well-that it's theft of another person's space, time, and turn at talk. It was thought-provoking, and anything that encourages mindfulness is OK with me. Sorry to go all Bob Ducca there...

Thanks,

Jamey

Hey T&K&D,

This was a fun episode, like always, and my favorite part was hearing David's rude-guy-in-the-bar story. I like hearing about how people react in real-world situations when another person is behaving badly. This could have been a great two-parter, too, and I'm surprised Tig didn't chime in with her dislike of pointing! Amy has a great definition of rudeness, as well-that it's theft of another person's space, time, and turn at talk. It was thought-provoking, and anything that encourages mindfulness is OK with me. Sorry to go all Bob Ducca there...

Thanks,

Jamey

Yuck... hate to be rude guys, but didn't love this one. It was the guest, she ruined it for me and it's my hope that she was being ironic with her incredible rudeness!!! Sometimes just a Tig, Kyle, David cocktail is all I need to get through the day.

Yuck... hate to be rude guys, but didn't love this one. It was the guest, she ruined it for me and it's my hope that she was being ironic with her incredible rudeness!!! Sometimes just a Tig, Kyle, David cocktail is all I need to get through the day.

It's interesting that so many people seemed to not enjoy this one as much. I'm honestly not sure why so many people reacted so negatively to the guest.
Maybe I was fine with her since she echos many of my sentiments. I find it infuriating that virtually everyone acts like he/she is the only person who exists in day-to-day life and was glad that she mentioned a similar cause for rudeness. Although this goes both ways; maybe someone who didn't say sorry after bumping into you was just having a rough day.

It's interesting that so many people seemed to not enjoy this one as much. I'm honestly not sure why so many people reacted so negatively to the guest.
Maybe I was fine with her since she echos many of my sentiments. I find it infuriating that virtually everyone acts like he/she is the only person who exists in day-to-day life and was glad that she mentioned a similar cause for rudeness. Although this goes both ways; maybe someone who didn't say sorry after bumping into you was just having a rough day.

@ Patrick, it's probably just another example of people feeling more compelled to comment when they dislike something than when they like something. If you want another example, go look at the Earwolf Challenge forums! But really, there's only 3 negative comments out of 9 (now 10 with mine), so it's hard to draw too much from that.

Though I was surprised when Amy mentioned in passing her friend "Sgt. Heather" and no one commented on it. Am I the only one that finds that particular nomenclature funny? I would have thought a little good natured ribbing would have been in order!

@ Patrick, it's probably just another example of people feeling more compelled to comment when they dislike something than when they like something. If you want another example, go look at the Earwolf Challenge forums! But really, there's only 3 negative comments out of 9 (now 10 with mine), so it's hard to draw too much from that.

Though I was surprised when Amy mentioned in passing her friend "Sgt. Heather" and no one commented on it. Am I the only one that finds that particular nomenclature funny? I would have thought a little good natured ribbing would have been in order!

@Brendan - Totally agree - I wish there had been more ribbing of the guest and what she said. Although she probably would have not taken this well it would have been really funny.

@Brendan - Totally agree - I wish there had been more ribbing of the guest and what she said. Although she probably would have not taken this well it would have been really funny.

<rant>
Like Tig, I find that the noise-related things bother me the most. My all-time biggest peeve is with people who slam doors. It's the only thing in the world that will actually fill me with rage (besides leaf blowers) and I've actually gone so far as moving because I was surrounded by door-slammming idiots in my apartment building.
</end rant>

Sign in to follow this