🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 9.2 — Time Crunch: Day 2

I really liked the idea of this challenge, although I thought giving them just 30 minutes was a little rough.

I thought LHR handled the challenge the best, given what they do and the time constraints, although I do wonder if perhaps they had this sketch in their back pockets already. None-the-less, I did laugh and it did come off as well produced as their other segments.

I agreed with the judges assessment of Little Dum Dum on how they could have progressed within the 5 minutes, rather than just staying on the trick element of the challenge. However, Tommy and Karl are truly funny guys, and made me laugh as usual. I love the Earwolf Challenge simply for making me aware of their podcast.

What a shocker, Totally Laime talked about sex. Apparently, the least important questions are all about sex. Elizabeth is charming, but this podcast is completely one note. I downloaded about six episodes, and then realized that they were basically all the same. They use sex questions as a crutch, which generally reveals a lack true talent for interviewing (It reminds me of improv, when one cast member will revert to drugs or violence for a joke). I'm disappointed in the judges assessments, but if they never heard the show before I can see why they would be enamored with Elizabeth (although they don't need to listen any further, having gotten the gist of their entire interviewing arsenal).

From the judges comments, it sounds like LHR is out the door. Too bad. But I'll keep rooting for Little Dum Dum.

I really liked the idea of this challenge, although I thought giving them just 30 minutes was a little rough.

I thought LHR handled the challenge the best, given what they do and the time constraints, although I do wonder if perhaps they had this sketch in their back pockets already. None-the-less, I did laugh and it did come off as well produced as their other segments.

I agreed with the judges assessment of Little Dum Dum on how they could have progressed within the 5 minutes, rather than just staying on the trick element of the challenge. However, Tommy and Karl are truly funny guys, and made me laugh as usual. I love the Earwolf Challenge simply for making me aware of their podcast.

What a shocker, Totally Laime talked about sex. Apparently, the least important questions are all about sex. Elizabeth is charming, but this podcast is completely one note. I downloaded about six episodes, and then realized that they were basically all the same. They use sex questions as a crutch, which generally reveals a lack true talent for interviewing (It reminds me of improv, when one cast member will revert to drugs or violence for a joke). I'm disappointed in the judges assessments, but if they never heard the show before I can see why they would be enamored with Elizabeth (although they don't need to listen any further, having gotten the gist of their entire interviewing arsenal).

From the judges comments, it sounds like LHR is out the door. Too bad. But I'll keep rooting for Little Dum Dum.

I've defended this podcast before, but this episode was terrible and completely unfair to LHR.
Simple solution - Earwolf Challenge: Unsubscribe, Left Handed Radio: Subscribe. Done.

I've defended this podcast before, but this episode was terrible and completely unfair to LHR.
Simple solution - Earwolf Challenge: Unsubscribe, Left Handed Radio: Subscribe. Done.

It's all getting a bit aggressive in here, think we need to release some of that tension

It's all getting a bit aggressive in here, think we need to release some of that tension

Wow. Things have really gotten harsh since I last checked in. Plenty of hating on Besser ... guess I opened the floodgates on that one. Except I was only joking. Some of you folks are REALLY pissed.
So, I'm not real happy with the turn things are taking this week, either, but let me be a voice in the wilderness for a moment. "Walking The Room" and "Never Not Funny" are both top-notch podcasts. WTR is actually a lot like LDDC, with less Aussie accents and more swearing. And hobotangs. And NNF ... well, there's a reason that the same people you love on "Comedy Bang Bang" show up just as frequently on NNF. Because it's goddamned fantastic. Matt Belknap is great. Dave Anthony is great. They are terrible fucking judges on this challenge, for some reason, but it's not because they're terrible people.
So, to wrap it up, yes, there are some serious problems emerging as we near the end and look back on the season as a whole, but there's really no reason to be all super-angry and intensely personal about it. Nothing like this has ever been done before. There were bound to be issues and problems, but at the end of the day, the experience has resulted in increased exposure for all the podcasts, and I don't think any of them are going to be unhappy that they participated. I could be wrong, since there's a level of increased work and a lot of stress involved, but I don't think so.

Wow. Things have really gotten harsh since I last checked in. Plenty of hating on Besser ... guess I opened the floodgates on that one. Except I was only joking. Some of you folks are REALLY pissed.
So, I'm not real happy with the turn things are taking this week, either, but let me be a voice in the wilderness for a moment. "Walking The Room" and "Never Not Funny" are both top-notch podcasts. WTR is actually a lot like LDDC, with less Aussie accents and more swearing. And hobotangs. And NNF ... well, there's a reason that the same people you love on "Comedy Bang Bang" show up just as frequently on NNF. Because it's goddamned fantastic. Matt Belknap is great. Dave Anthony is great. They are terrible fucking judges on this challenge, for some reason, but it's not because they're terrible people.
So, to wrap it up, yes, there are some serious problems emerging as we near the end and look back on the season as a whole, but there's really no reason to be all super-angry and intensely personal about it. Nothing like this has ever been done before. There were bound to be issues and problems, but at the end of the day, the experience has resulted in increased exposure for all the podcasts, and I don't think any of them are going to be unhappy that they participated. I could be wrong, since there's a level of increased work and a lot of stress involved, but I don't think so.

@Mark_Thompson I stated the criteria. Based on this week's challenge the judges were to vote out the podcast that created the least funny submission in the opinion of the judges. The fairness of this week's challenge is obviously up for debate, but didn't we several times say the slate was clean and the podcasts should be judged solely on how funny they were?
I'll be able to respond more tomorrow.

@Mark_Thompson I stated the criteria. Based on this week's challenge the judges were to vote out the podcast that created the least funny submission in the opinion of the judges. The fairness of this week's challenge is obviously up for debate, but didn't we several times say the slate was clean and the podcasts should be judged solely on how funny they were?
I'll be able to respond more tomorrow.

W00F. This whole thread is ROUGH. Also, I'm a dog, apparently.

W00F. This whole thread is ROUGH. Also, I'm a dog, apparently.

Matt...it's pretty hard for me to believe you honestly think TL was funnier than LHR this week. I mean, if you do, then you do...but don't you think it's at least possible that you and your guest judges got caught up in a little groupthink and came up with the wrong consensus?
Just from listening to the show, it seems clear that you weren't really judging based on humor, so much as how clever/resourceful the shows were in dealing with the challenge. You wanted a Galifianakis 'hook' in the LHR sketch, a clever transition in LDDC, and thought TL was the best because they had an (excruciatingly minimal) hook in their show - asking the questions they would have asked Zach to each other. That's the most desperate, obvious hook I can imagine, but since the terms of the contest seemed to get changed midshow to looking for something like that, they apparently came out on top.
TL is cute, charming, has a hook...but it's just. not. that. funny.
I am sorry these comments took such a harsh turn and feel like I contributed to that. I shouldn't have slagged Dave Anthony's podcast, not being familiar with it. But the tone of this show was pretty disrespectful. Whether the judges perceived/meant it or not, it clearly came through to the listening audience, and that has the tendency to rile people up. Not that the judges should be pulling punches - but there's a way to be harsh, and it's the Doug Benson way.

Matt...it's pretty hard for me to believe you honestly think TL was funnier than LHR this week. I mean, if you do, then you do...but don't you think it's at least possible that you and your guest judges got caught up in a little groupthink and came up with the wrong consensus?
Just from listening to the show, it seems clear that you weren't really judging based on humor, so much as how clever/resourceful the shows were in dealing with the challenge. You wanted a Galifianakis 'hook' in the LHR sketch, a clever transition in LDDC, and thought TL was the best because they had an (excruciatingly minimal) hook in their show - asking the questions they would have asked Zach to each other. That's the most desperate, obvious hook I can imagine, but since the terms of the contest seemed to get changed midshow to looking for something like that, they apparently came out on top.
TL is cute, charming, has a hook...but it's just. not. that. funny.
I am sorry these comments took such a harsh turn and feel like I contributed to that. I shouldn't have slagged Dave Anthony's podcast, not being familiar with it. But the tone of this show was pretty disrespectful. Whether the judges perceived/meant it or not, it clearly came through to the listening audience, and that has the tendency to rile people up. Not that the judges should be pulling punches - but there's a way to be harsh, and it's the Doug Benson way.

Indeed - a rough forum thread. Looking forward to the explosion that comes with tomorrow's show.

@Max - Great to point out the awesome job Doug Benson did judging during his stint. His contributions to the show were some of my favorite moments from the series. Focusing on the positive stuff is more fun.

Indeed - a rough forum thread. Looking forward to the explosion that comes with tomorrow's show.

@Max - Great to point out the awesome job Doug Benson did judging during his stint. His contributions to the show were some of my favorite moments from the series. Focusing on the positive stuff is more fun.

@Joel, it's not even about focusing on the positive stuff to me. In fact, I thought Doug was quite negative at points. The difference was that he offered substantive negative comments that were, frankly, very merited.
I am of the school of thought that negative criticism is important, and I don't really believe it always needs to be constructive either. But it does need to be more than 'fuck you' if it's going to be worthy of a show that is *about critiquing podcasts*. And the icing on the hatred cake seems to have been indignation (shared by me) that these established, successful voices in podcasting (whatever that means) would grind up contestants in this way.
So, yeah, positive reinforcement = great. Constructive criticism = great. But even negative criticism = great if it's substantive and doesn't feel like laziness or arrogance on the part of the judges.

@Joel, it's not even about focusing on the positive stuff to me. In fact, I thought Doug was quite negative at points. The difference was that he offered substantive negative comments that were, frankly, very merited.
I am of the school of thought that negative criticism is important, and I don't really believe it always needs to be constructive either. But it does need to be more than 'fuck you' if it's going to be worthy of a show that is *about critiquing podcasts*. And the icing on the hatred cake seems to have been indignation (shared by me) that these established, successful voices in podcasting (whatever that means) would grind up contestants in this way.
So, yeah, positive reinforcement = great. Constructive criticism = great. But even negative criticism = great if it's substantive and doesn't feel like laziness or arrogance on the part of the judges.

@Max - I was referring to Benson's judging (substantive, like you said) on the show being a really positive part of The Challenge. Not that his comments/critiques were all positive. Just glad you brought it up in our dark hour here at The Challenge forum thread.

@Max - I was referring to Benson's judging (substantive, like you said) on the show being a really positive part of The Challenge. Not that his comments/critiques were all positive. Just glad you brought it up in our dark hour here at The Challenge forum thread.

so I guess the question is did LHR write that sketch in the 30 min provided, and if so will the judges weigh that into their decision?
-
speaking straight forward, LDDC made me laugh, and the others didn't. not to say that TL didn't provide a relatively charming (if redundant) story. I agree with whoever said that TL falls back on sex talk too often, even from the perspective of someone who only hears them in 3-5 min clips, it's getting tired.
-
and the judges all bugged me this round. too much negativity, and Besser (as much as I usually like him) seemed to just follow suit.
-
so I guess I agree with everyone in the thread. no offense TL. I'll probably listen to a few episodes to see if I'm interested after the challenge anyways.

so I guess the question is did LHR write that sketch in the 30 min provided, and if so will the judges weigh that into their decision?
-
speaking straight forward, LDDC made me laugh, and the others didn't. not to say that TL didn't provide a relatively charming (if redundant) story. I agree with whoever said that TL falls back on sex talk too often, even from the perspective of someone who only hears them in 3-5 min clips, it's getting tired.
-
and the judges all bugged me this round. too much negativity, and Besser (as much as I usually like him) seemed to just follow suit.
-
so I guess I agree with everyone in the thread. no offense TL. I'll probably listen to a few episodes to see if I'm interested after the challenge anyways.

the only two podcasts i've actually subscribed to have been TL and LDDC. having listened to a great deal of both i have to say LDDC is just plain funnier. They tell great stories and have a really genuine feel to their chemistry (they play off each other better than elizabeth and andy, which is kind of funny considering they're not the married couple). after just two episodes i felt like i was actually friends with tommy and karl. they're good comedians and it shows.

their show is the first podcast that actually made me start at episode one and go in chronological order instead of just picking ones at random.

TL seems cute at first, and i'll admit i was totally rooting for them in the beginning, but after about three shows they just fall flat. episodes feel awkward and sometimes uncomfortable. i mean i get it, you guys had sex with other people before getting married, whoa raunchy.

i'll be really bummed if LDDC doesn't win. they have the funniest podcast in a competition that's supposed to be about comedy. i mean either way i'll listen to their show, but if they get eliminated it'll kind of sour the competition for me.

i'll be shocked if LHR wins, i mostly listen to podcasts while i do other stuff, i'd rather listen to a conversation than several short sketches i have to really focus on.

the only two podcasts i've actually subscribed to have been TL and LDDC. having listened to a great deal of both i have to say LDDC is just plain funnier. They tell great stories and have a really genuine feel to their chemistry (they play off each other better than elizabeth and andy, which is kind of funny considering they're not the married couple). after just two episodes i felt like i was actually friends with tommy and karl. they're good comedians and it shows.

their show is the first podcast that actually made me start at episode one and go in chronological order instead of just picking ones at random.

TL seems cute at first, and i'll admit i was totally rooting for them in the beginning, but after about three shows they just fall flat. episodes feel awkward and sometimes uncomfortable. i mean i get it, you guys had sex with other people before getting married, whoa raunchy.

i'll be really bummed if LDDC doesn't win. they have the funniest podcast in a competition that's supposed to be about comedy. i mean either way i'll listen to their show, but if they get eliminated it'll kind of sour the competition for me.

i'll be shocked if LHR wins, i mostly listen to podcasts while i do other stuff, i'd rather listen to a conversation than several short sketches i have to really focus on.

Holy Cow! I just got done listening to the episode as I've been busy all day and then came to the forum to see what others thought. Again, Holy Cow!
While I disagreed with the judge's assessment of the segments, finding LHR to be funny and laughing out loud at parts of TLDDC, I'm not sure I share the anger that some folks have here about the judging this week. Part of what I enjoy about the Earwolf Challenge is forming my opinions and comparing them with what the judges think. Its the same reason I watch any reality show on television. Its FUN to disagree with people who supposedly know more than I do! I love getting annoyed at the Top Chef or Project Runway judges and thinking of the things I would have done differently as a judge.
What makes Earwolf (as an entity) fantastic, is that it is willing to put itself, its shows, and its personalities out there for us all to comment on. I think its cool of a company to be so open with its processes and people. I'm afraid that since we have this shiny new toy we feel like we need to beat the hell out of it until it becomes like every other crappy thing we see on the Internet. Let's all take a step back and remember that this is SEASON ONE of the Challenge and the first podcast of its kind anywhere AND Earwolf is only in its first year as a podcasting company. There will be learning pains as with any new entity and show and it will improve its standards and practices over its course of existence.
What I would hate to see is the nitpicking about small things turn off Matt Besser or others from being involved in the future. It pains me every time one of the contestants says something along the lines of "I check out the forums when I get to feeling too good about myself". While I do NOT think we need to be positive about everything, we need to be respectful of the time and energy the folks at Earwolf, the guests, and the judges are putting in and at least try to keep it civil.
That being said... If you all eliminate Left Handed Radio... I will come to L.A. and take you all out like Arnold in Commando.

Sign in to follow this