🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 9.3 — Time Crunch: Day 3

In the immortal words of Boyz II Men: "It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday." Our third place contestant is "yesterday" for the sake of this metaphor. Who will get the bronze metal? Our Aussie friends down in The Little Dum Dum Club? Our crazy sketch guys and gal at Left Handed Radio? Elizabeth and her husband Psychic Andy of Totally Laime? Listen in and find out!

In the immortal words of Boyz II Men: "It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday." Our third place contestant is "yesterday" for the sake of this metaphor. Who will get the bronze metal? Our Aussie friends down in The Little Dum Dum Club? Our crazy sketch guys and gal at Left Handed Radio? Elizabeth and her husband Psychic Andy of Totally Laime? Listen in and find out!

If yesterday is who I guessed it is then my tomorrows are going to include a bunch of yesterdays.

If yesterday is who I guessed it is then my tomorrows are going to include a bunch of yesterdays.

As much as I want Totally Lame to win, I had a really hard time accepting today's judgements. Honestly, I also thought that LHR had the best submission. I really didn't understand the dislike of the sketch. But I loved all the contestants and judges.
Overall, this episode made me feel bad, like Mommy and Daddy are fighting. I don't know if I can bare to listen to next week's.

As much as I want Totally Lame to win, I had a really hard time accepting today's judgements. Honestly, I also thought that LHR had the best submission. I really didn't understand the dislike of the sketch. But I loved all the contestants and judges.
Overall, this episode made me feel bad, like Mommy and Daddy are fighting. I don't know if I can bare to listen to next week's.

Truth in Comedy

TL was honest but not funny
TLDDC was honest and funny

TL totally should have been in the bottom two. I really hope TLDDC wins

Truth in Comedy

TL was honest but not funny
TLDDC was honest and funny

TL totally should have been in the bottom two. I really hope TLDDC wins

Left Handed Radio's defense of itself was pretty solid, but at the end of the day I still feel like they had what was by far the weakest submission. It simply wasn't either funny or inherently interesting (though, admittedly, these qualities are subjective). You could make a pretty compelling case that this week's contest was fundamentally misguided and shouldn't have occurred at all, but given that it did, I think that the correct decision was made.

Left Handed Radio's defense of itself was pretty solid, but at the end of the day I still feel like they had what was by far the weakest submission. It simply wasn't either funny or inherently interesting (though, admittedly, these qualities are subjective). You could make a pretty compelling case that this week's contest was fundamentally misguided and shouldn't have occurred at all, but given that it did, I think that the correct decision was made.

This bums me out, as I've thought for a while that LHR was far and away the best and most original podcast in the challenge, but—as was discussed by the judges nicely after the commercial break/deliberation—they've definitely gained a lot of exposure, and I'm sure a BUNCH of new subscribers (including me!) over the last 9 weeks. I clink my glass to their continued success.

This bums me out, as I've thought for a while that LHR was far and away the best and most original podcast in the challenge, but—as was discussed by the judges nicely after the commercial break/deliberation—they've definitely gained a lot of exposure, and I'm sure a BUNCH of new subscribers (including me!) over the last 9 weeks. I clink my glass to their continued success.

Engagement podcast= TLP
Comedy podcast=TLDDP, LHR

Engagement podcast= TLP
Comedy podcast=TLDDP, LHR

This was even more upsetting to listen to than anticipated.

Many people in forum raised the same criticism that the LHR and LDDC both used. Again the JUDGES DIDN'T KNOW THE CONSTRAINTS OF THE CHALLENGE! "We were told to make original content" "Oh, we didn't know that." WHY? How can you judge if you don't know that?

Dave even said LDDC made him laugh the most -- contradicting what Matt told us was the criteria -- who was funniest. Why was the submission that made you laugh most in the bottom 2?

It's been said over and over -- it will continue to be said this week:
Left Handed Radio got fucked over.

If this challenge was meant to be about professionalism -- they should have won.
If this challenge was meant to be about producing *original* content in an extremely short time frame -- they had the hardest task by far, and they were not given any leeway for that.
If this challenge was meant to be about being funniest -- Totally Laime had no place being the safe place.

This challenge was bullshit from the start. I feel betrayed as a listener and pissed off for getting invested in this series.
My only hope at this stage is that Matt and the producers address these criticisms in the final episodes, or some addendum.

It's so sad because up until this week, this has been my favourite thing in podcasting. It's been inventive, really playing with the form, while providing commentary and insight. We've gotten to know the contestants and get emotionally invested in the outcome. Please don't make us regret that decision. At least give us some answers.

This was even more upsetting to listen to than anticipated.

Many people in forum raised the same criticism that the LHR and LDDC both used. Again the JUDGES DIDN'T KNOW THE CONSTRAINTS OF THE CHALLENGE! "We were told to make original content" "Oh, we didn't know that." WHY? How can you judge if you don't know that?

Dave even said LDDC made him laugh the most -- contradicting what Matt told us was the criteria -- who was funniest. Why was the submission that made you laugh most in the bottom 2?

It's been said over and over -- it will continue to be said this week:
Left Handed Radio got fucked over.

If this challenge was meant to be about professionalism -- they should have won.
If this challenge was meant to be about producing *original* content in an extremely short time frame -- they had the hardest task by far, and they were not given any leeway for that.
If this challenge was meant to be about being funniest -- Totally Laime had no place being the safe place.

This challenge was bullshit from the start. I feel betrayed as a listener and pissed off for getting invested in this series.
My only hope at this stage is that Matt and the producers address these criticisms in the final episodes, or some addendum.

It's so sad because up until this week, this has been my favourite thing in podcasting. It's been inventive, really playing with the form, while providing commentary and insight. We've gotten to know the contestants and get emotionally invested in the outcome. Please don't make us regret that decision. At least give us some answers.

Much like a comedy awards show or some sort of stand-up reality show competition, I have taken this podcast with a huge grain of salt.
Only reading outraged people on the Earwolf Challenge forum has ever actually upset me (because they keep trying to apply hard and fast rules to something as slippery and subjective as comedy, and are upset when they can't and instead cry foul).
And really, once a competition is down to the top 3, all three of them have totally already won.
This was a really easy episode to listen to, as have been all the other judgement episodes.
Methinks I'll check these boards out again once the competition is over.
Meanwhile, listen to stuff you like! Not stuff that drives you crazy! It's a good rule!

Much like a comedy awards show or some sort of stand-up reality show competition, I have taken this podcast with a huge grain of salt.
Only reading outraged people on the Earwolf Challenge forum has ever actually upset me (because they keep trying to apply hard and fast rules to something as slippery and subjective as comedy, and are upset when they can't and instead cry foul).
And really, once a competition is down to the top 3, all three of them have totally already won.
This was a really easy episode to listen to, as have been all the other judgement episodes.
Methinks I'll check these boards out again once the competition is over.
Meanwhile, listen to stuff you like! Not stuff that drives you crazy! It's a good rule!

I'm not at all one for reality shows, but man if this doesn't have me hooked. I'm personally pulling for Little Dum Dum Club, but even if they don't win, I'll be (just about) as happy to listen to Totally Laime each week. You guys have served to introduce me to a number of podcasts that I probably wouldn't have otherwise stumbled across, and I'm really on pins and needles to see how this turns out.