🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 10.1 — The Final Challenge: Day 1

This show has been my most anticipated on Earwolf next to CBB and so I would like to cast my vote for Yes on Season 2. And maybe next season instead of Matt Besser as host, you could get Bjork.

Interesting change in format, would have liked to have seen Scott & Jeff going through the same process as the other judges, but it obviously makes more sense this way. I've not been a huge fan of Totally Laime so far (though I've not been on the hate wagon) but that was a nice, genial and sometimes funny interview.

Interesting change in format, would have liked to have seen Scott & Jeff going through the same process as the other judges, but it obviously makes more sense this way. I've not been a huge fan of Totally Laime so far (though I've not been on the hate wagon) but that was a nice, genial and sometimes funny interview.

I too have really enjoyed the whole season and think you must do a second season or continue the show in some form.

I am really interested in hearing what LDDC does now. Totally Laime set a very clear bar to compare them against. This TL episode wasn’t the funniest or the most compelling thing, but I can definitely see why people listen.

It seems like the one downside of TL is that they are always interviewing someone they don’t seem to know that well. A lot of my favorite podcast episodes are ones where the hosts and guests have a real friendly relationship regardless of how big the guests are. It is what made the original Scott Aukerman episodes of NNF so awesome even though I had no idea who he was then, and is what made the recent Wittels, Peretti, Scott episode of CBB so so so amazing. That’s probably a dumb criticism since it goes against everything their show is, but I am just not compelled to subscribe to their show, and I think that is the reason. I could see 9 out of 10 TL listeners saying Totally Laime is their 10th favorite show, but I would be surprised if many put it in their top 1-2 because it just doesn’t have that pizazz (or potential for it) that many of the top podcasts have. At this point I don’t even listen to 10 weekly podcasts, so I just can’t get that excited about it. Though I’d guess if someone prefers a relaxing conversation with famous people as their entertainment, this would be the perfect show.

I too have really enjoyed the whole season and think you must do a second season or continue the show in some form.

I am really interested in hearing what LDDC does now. Totally Laime set a very clear bar to compare them against. This TL episode wasn’t the funniest or the most compelling thing, but I can definitely see why people listen.

It seems like the one downside of TL is that they are always interviewing someone they don’t seem to know that well. A lot of my favorite podcast episodes are ones where the hosts and guests have a real friendly relationship regardless of how big the guests are. It is what made the original Scott Aukerman episodes of NNF so awesome even though I had no idea who he was then, and is what made the recent Wittels, Peretti, Scott episode of CBB so so so amazing. That’s probably a dumb criticism since it goes against everything their show is, but I am just not compelled to subscribe to their show, and I think that is the reason. I could see 9 out of 10 TL listeners saying Totally Laime is their 10th favorite show, but I would be surprised if many put it in their top 1-2 because it just doesn’t have that pizazz (or potential for it) that many of the top podcasts have. At this point I don’t even listen to 10 weekly podcasts, so I just can’t get that excited about it. Though I’d guess if someone prefers a relaxing conversation with famous people as their entertainment, this would be the perfect show.

They didn't really seem to give much thought to plugging It's Always Sunny (Time/channel) or anything else that Charlie Day would have coming up in the pipeline.

A minor quip to be sure, but something that's probably important to guests that are giving up their time to be on the show, at least let them get a decent plug in at the end of the episode.

Other than that, definitely enjoyed this little episode for what it was, a breezy conversational talk with a funny guy. I'm looking forward to Little Dum Dum Club's submission, this is the first week that I don't listen to all 3 episodes on Wednesday in one big time-wasting work chunk.

They didn't really seem to give much thought to plugging It's Always Sunny (Time/channel) or anything else that Charlie Day would have coming up in the pipeline.

A minor quip to be sure, but something that's probably important to guests that are giving up their time to be on the show, at least let them get a decent plug in at the end of the episode.

Other than that, definitely enjoyed this little episode for what it was, a breezy conversational talk with a funny guy. I'm looking forward to Little Dum Dum Club's submission, this is the first week that I don't listen to all 3 episodes on Wednesday in one big time-wasting work chunk.

Honestly I felt Charlie Day really saved the podcast. There was too many awkward moments that if Charlie wasn't so game for this interview could have taken a turn for the worst. I really do enjoy Totally Laime and wish them luck. Please don't hate me.

Honestly I felt Charlie Day really saved the podcast. There was too many awkward moments that if Charlie wasn't so game for this interview could have taken a turn for the worst. I really do enjoy Totally Laime and wish them luck. Please don't hate me.

First - I want to thank all the kind people who brought the challenge together. For a first run of anything, the strenghts greatly outweighed any minor flaws in the format. I never had the feeling that any of the eliminations were unfair or undeserved. I listen to most of the Earwolf fam of podcasts due to large chunks of driving throughout my day, but this one had me checking in at midnight to get my challenge fix as early as possible. Credit to Matt, the boys, and the contestants for putting up with the inane forum posts for this long....I think I would have wanted to maim a Dirk or two by now if I was in their shoes.
Second - I thought TL's episode today was a strong submission. Although I have been following the challenge for its entirety, I haven't listened to any of the contestants podcasts outside of the show. I would say that after listening to this episode, I am impressed that TL has done well enough to even make it this far. I definitely feel their strengths are much more apparent in the longer format. I could see how hard it would be to pick out 2 or 3 minute clips of that episode that were funny and also mostly self-contained or self-explanatory. What I was really surprised at is what I enjoyed most from the show. I actually thought the best moments weren't the question/answers directed towards Charlie (as would be assumed by the mission statement), but the random dialogue between the hosts and Charlie's input on the matter. I was really interested to hear about Elizabeth's sister's perspective on her career choice and I could see myself getting hooked on the husband/wife chemistry in the show. It might be because of where I'm at in life (30 - married 2 years- no kids) that I feel a real connection there, but I think it has wider appeal too. Great job, good luck, and both of these last two (even three) are all the real deal in my book.
Brendan L(emons)

First - I want to thank all the kind people who brought the challenge together. For a first run of anything, the strenghts greatly outweighed any minor flaws in the format. I never had the feeling that any of the eliminations were unfair or undeserved. I listen to most of the Earwolf fam of podcasts due to large chunks of driving throughout my day, but this one had me checking in at midnight to get my challenge fix as early as possible. Credit to Matt, the boys, and the contestants for putting up with the inane forum posts for this long....I think I would have wanted to maim a Dirk or two by now if I was in their shoes.
Second - I thought TL's episode today was a strong submission. Although I have been following the challenge for its entirety, I haven't listened to any of the contestants podcasts outside of the show. I would say that after listening to this episode, I am impressed that TL has done well enough to even make it this far. I definitely feel their strengths are much more apparent in the longer format. I could see how hard it would be to pick out 2 or 3 minute clips of that episode that were funny and also mostly self-contained or self-explanatory. What I was really surprised at is what I enjoyed most from the show. I actually thought the best moments weren't the question/answers directed towards Charlie (as would be assumed by the mission statement), but the random dialogue between the hosts and Charlie's input on the matter. I was really interested to hear about Elizabeth's sister's perspective on her career choice and I could see myself getting hooked on the husband/wife chemistry in the show. It might be because of where I'm at in life (30 - married 2 years- no kids) that I feel a real connection there, but I think it has wider appeal too. Great job, good luck, and both of these last two (even three) are all the real deal in my book.
Brendan L(emons)

This section's total posts are now ahead of Comedy Bang Bang! I didn't keep up with the shitstorm from last week, but I'm glad you guys didn't address it on the podcast. The forum came out looking pretty bad.

Hope there's another season!!

This section's total posts are now ahead of Comedy Bang Bang! I didn't keep up with the shitstorm from last week, but I'm glad you guys didn't address it on the podcast. The forum came out looking pretty bad.

Hope there's another season!!

I hope Scott and Jeff will be on the podcast to talk about their impressions, I would hate not to hear them break down these podcasts.
I have also really enjoyed the series, despite being one of last week's complainers. I hope you absorb some of the criticism and bring it back even stronger next season.
This submission was pretty much exactly what I expected from Totally Laime. The questions were very surface-level, and the conversation inevitably tilted toward sex, Liz and hubby's personal life, and the point where these two things intersect - TL's center of gravity.
People seem to enjoy it, so why yuck someone's yum? I can't see myself subscribing, though. LDDC isn't necessarily much better, but after this listen TL just seems disposable.

I hope Scott and Jeff will be on the podcast to talk about their impressions, I would hate not to hear them break down these podcasts.
I have also really enjoyed the series, despite being one of last week's complainers. I hope you absorb some of the criticism and bring it back even stronger next season.
This submission was pretty much exactly what I expected from Totally Laime. The questions were very surface-level, and the conversation inevitably tilted toward sex, Liz and hubby's personal life, and the point where these two things intersect - TL's center of gravity.
People seem to enjoy it, so why yuck someone's yum? I can't see myself subscribing, though. LDDC isn't necessarily much better, but after this listen TL just seems disposable.

this was a good episode, but i feel like TL might be one of those shows where i only tune in for the guest and not the host. (actually i know it's that kind of show, for me at least.) charlie was really the thing that made this interesting.
-
i felt kind of nervous when they said the final decision was going to come down to which show they preferred, didn't scott make a post on the forum last challenge saying he would have eliminated LDDC over LHR? it just seemed weird, the whole challenge has been about the next best comedy podcast, but now it's just like which one they like better. i'm all for engaging stuff, but that's why i listen to maron's podcast. LDDC is a show i listen to even though i don't know the guests. i have faith in them as hosts and it always pays off.
-
i have a feeling they might give it to TL just because it's more of the right fit. it's american, has access to more famous guests, it has a female host which is great if they're trying to diversify the network.
-
i've listened to a bunch of episodes from both shows and LDDC is just more entertaining. I'll be disappointed if they lose, especially if it's just because TL is the easier choice.
-
oh also i just wanted to say i loved the challenge as a whole, it was a great idea and i really hope there's a season 2.

this was a good episode, but i feel like TL might be one of those shows where i only tune in for the guest and not the host. (actually i know it's that kind of show, for me at least.) charlie was really the thing that made this interesting.
-
i felt kind of nervous when they said the final decision was going to come down to which show they preferred, didn't scott make a post on the forum last challenge saying he would have eliminated LDDC over LHR? it just seemed weird, the whole challenge has been about the next best comedy podcast, but now it's just like which one they like better. i'm all for engaging stuff, but that's why i listen to maron's podcast. LDDC is a show i listen to even though i don't know the guests. i have faith in them as hosts and it always pays off.
-
i have a feeling they might give it to TL just because it's more of the right fit. it's american, has access to more famous guests, it has a female host which is great if they're trying to diversify the network.
-
i've listened to a bunch of episodes from both shows and LDDC is just more entertaining. I'll be disappointed if they lose, especially if it's just because TL is the easier choice.
-
oh also i just wanted to say i loved the challenge as a whole, it was a great idea and i really hope there's a season 2.

I liked this episode from top to bottom. I really thought the coaching session worked well - especially because Besser had a chance to talk to TL for more than just a few minutes and really incorporated well a discussion of notes from past judges. I've listened to a couple TL podcasts (I listen to anything Paul F Tompkins has been on, so I've listened to a couple LDDC also - PFT has been on a lot of podcasts). Their submission is a good example of what their podcast is, of who they are. Maybe they aren't for everyone, but what podcast is? I liked their submission and I am looking forward to hearing the LDDC tomorrow!

I liked this episode from top to bottom. I really thought the coaching session worked well - especially because Besser had a chance to talk to TL for more than just a few minutes and really incorporated well a discussion of notes from past judges. I've listened to a couple TL podcasts (I listen to anything Paul F Tompkins has been on, so I've listened to a couple LDDC also - PFT has been on a lot of podcasts). Their submission is a good example of what their podcast is, of who they are. Maybe they aren't for everyone, but what podcast is? I liked their submission and I am looking forward to hearing the LDDC tomorrow!

Why would they need a female host to diversify they network? They have Professor Blastoff and Who Charted already. If they were thinking in terms of diversifying then putting on an Australian Podcast would help open up Earwolf to another market.
-
Also, I seem to be breaking the one post rule.

Why would they need a female host to diversify they network? They have Professor Blastoff and Who Charted already. If they were thinking in terms of diversifying then putting on an Australian Podcast would help open up Earwolf to another market.
-
Also, I seem to be breaking the one post rule.

I enjoyed the podcast, but the Totally or Lame game felt tacked on and out of place. I don't think it's necessary - this podcast can be plenty entertaining as just an hour long conversation.

I enjoyed the podcast, but the Totally or Lame game felt tacked on and out of place. I don't think it's necessary - this podcast can be plenty entertaining as just an hour long conversation.

Sign in to follow this