Episode 122 — Shanghaied by Irene

99 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:03 PM

Welcome to Comedy Bang Bang! As today is our first day on Funny Or Die, we've pulled out all the stops and brought in some of the most talented folks we know. Folks like Zach Galifianakis from The Hangover and Between Two Ferns. Folks like famed film director (and friend of Paul F. Tompkins) Werner Herzog. And who better to score this star-struck episode than Yo La Tengo, gods of alt rock. If this is your first episode, enjoy! If you're a long time listener: Be on your best behavior, we're having company!

#2 gle urg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:50 AM

Great episode! Thanks, guys. I hope this means we'll hear Werner Herzog appear on The Great Undiscovered Project.

#3 Naylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:05 AM

Not listened yet, but seriously? My favorite band on the show? I know they have their connections with comedy but this is amazing.

#4 JoshuaDRazo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:35 AM

This is awesome!

#5 Gerry Echeverria

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:52 AM

What's a Paul F Tompkins?

#6 Julia Hays

Earwolf Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey native. New to Los Angeles.

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:43 AM

Paul F. Tompkins on the show on his birthday?! I'm so excited it feels like it's MY birthday. Great episode! I can't wait to check out the Bumbershoot episodes.

#7 cakebob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:00 AM

I haven't finished the episode yet, I had to stop and comment. Crab Cakes Activate. New catchphrase activate? Me thinks so.

#8 Jimmy Willis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:10 AM

Great episode. Congrats on the new partnership with Funny or Die!

#9 Grant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:44 AM

Fantastic episode!!!! Top shelf!

#10 Chester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationOblivion

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:49 AM

Wonderful episode. Zach Galifianakis is always an entertaining guest, and Paul F. Tompkins is his usual, brilliant self. Seriously, how does that guy so consistently hit podcast appearances out of the park? It's unreal. Only Andy Daly is in the same league as he is. Plus, who doesn't love Yo La Tengo?

#11 Swass

Old Detroit Resistance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:02 AM

The idea of dog/door camaraderie against humanity is going to have me chuckling throughout the day. Any time a dog looks at a door, I'll try to imagine a solemn, knowing nod.

#12 Steve K.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

Is it just me, or has the "Would You Rather" introduction song been condescend? I MUST know immediately.

#13 fiber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

I haven't sensed an air of superiority coming from the "Would You Rather" introduction at all.

#14 Steve K.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

I....am...dumb...condense. Damn you internet cop!

#15 Jimmy Blackmon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

Steve, I think Scott cuts the song off early when he feels especially self conscious in front of the guests.

#16 Naylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:49 AM

Yes he often reads out the rules during the bass part, I think sometimes he just wants to keep things moving, other times it's funnier to let it keep going, I'm sure there's different reasons why he might decide to cut it off early or just let it sustain.

#17 Julian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

i have to stop listening to earwolf at work. two pygmy hippos in a bear costume... is killing me.

#18 Good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

ugh

#19 Fatsquirrel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

I enjoyed this episode, but after a while it just seemed like a classroom guinea pig that has lived too long.

#20 Max

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

Golly that was one of the funniest in a while. Holy shit Paul F Tompkins is the wittiest man in the universe. Maybe it was a schtick but I thought I detected some honest to goodness frustration from Galifianakis from being word-bamboozled so many times.
And those Yo La Tengo songs were stellar. I am a huge fan of the band and even I cannot believe how good they sounded - especially the acoustic version of Sugar Cube. Really really cool.
Edit: Speaking of which, I know it's tradition to only have two clips pulled from the episode, but it would be pretty cool to be able to download those songs individually.