🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 122 — Shanghaied by Irene

I too had mix feelings, but after reading everyone's quotes from the show. I decide it was great episode.... I think my mix feelings come from having too high of hopes for this episode. I mean, the last ZG and PFT episode set the bar really high.

I think Zach is funny as hell. He's great in movies and he's great in stand-up. But his "I don't really want to be here, not going to put forth much effort into participating" schtick that he does on podcasts (specifically this one and Doug's) strike me as being a little tired. His energy, or lack thereof, felt like an anchor on the show. People had to keep prodding him to get involved, or at least stay awake. It was like that the last time he was on CBB. It was a funny episode whenever he did get involved, but just felt kind of flat when he didn't. Reading over the previous comments I see most people didn't feel that way. But...the heart wants what the heart wants. (Or something to that effect.)

• Like 1

I think Zach is funny as hell. He's great in movies and he's great in stand-up. But his "I don't really want to be here, not going to put forth much effort into participating" schtick that he does on podcasts (specifically this one and Doug's) strike me as being a little tired. His energy, or lack thereof, felt like an anchor on the show. People had to keep prodding him to get involved, or at least stay awake. It was like that the last time he was on CBB. It was a funny episode whenever he did get involved, but just felt kind of flat when he didn't. Reading over the previous comments I see most people didn't feel that way. But...the heart wants what the heart wants. (Or something to that effect.)

I agree with Joshua. Maybe it's just Zach's approach to comedy, maybe I'm just reading too much into it because he's so successful. But by the end of the two part episode he did with PFT as Dame Sir ALW I got the feeling Zach was staring at his watch counting down the minutes until it was over, there was more of that in this episode. I've gotten that feeling from other really successful people that have been on the show. What drove it home for me was listening to Patton Oswalt, I expected him to come in and be too cool for school but he's always willing to jump in and it sounds like he's genuinely enjoying himself. Patton is not too cool for school, and he's ruined CBB with successful guests for me. That's not really true, Adam Scott comes to mind as someone successful that's also a CBB pro.
Oh yeah, in defense of Zach he's done the show multiple times, if he really didn't enjoy it he probably wouldn't come back.

• Like 1

I agree with Joshua. Maybe it's just Zach's approach to comedy, maybe I'm just reading too much into it because he's so successful. But by the end of the two part episode he did with PFT as Dame Sir ALW I got the feeling Zach was staring at his watch counting down the minutes until it was over, there was more of that in this episode. I've gotten that feeling from other really successful people that have been on the show. What drove it home for me was listening to Patton Oswalt, I expected him to come in and be too cool for school but he's always willing to jump in and it sounds like he's genuinely enjoying himself. Patton is not too cool for school, and he's ruined CBB with successful guests for me. That's not really true, Adam Scott comes to mind as someone successful that's also a CBB pro.
Oh yeah, in defense of Zach he's done the show multiple times, if he really didn't enjoy it he probably wouldn't come back.

I think Scott's well aware of Zach's predilection to be a "difficult" guest; over at the Earwolf Challenge, they had a fake challenge where Zach was supposed to be a difficult guest for each of the competing podcasts (it turned out to be a bait-and-switch time crunch challenge instead).

I think it's actually a game for Scott and Zach seeing as they're good friends. Zach tries to buy into the game as little as possible, and Scott tries to find a way to force him into it. I'm not saying it's always great for listeners or other guests, but when they hit on something, it can still be funny as fuck.

I think Scott's well aware of Zach's predilection to be a "difficult" guest; over at the Earwolf Challenge, they had a fake challenge where Zach was supposed to be a difficult guest for each of the competing podcasts (it turned out to be a bait-and-switch time crunch challenge instead).

I think it's actually a game for Scott and Zach seeing as they're good friends. Zach tries to buy into the game as little as possible, and Scott tries to find a way to force him into it. I'm not saying it's always great for listeners or other guests, but when they hit on something, it can still be funny as fuck.

The first rule of characters is "Don't do a character who's already wildly compelling in real life". It's fine to do dullards like Andrew Lloyd Webber and Cake Boss but taking on a Legend Of Humanity who radiates titanic Teutonic gravitas like Werner Herzog is a terrible, terrible idea because your performance will be overshadowed by the towering genius of the real person.

Paul F F Tompkins is the exception to that rule. Because he's actually magical.

The first rule of characters is "Don't do a character who's already wildly compelling in real life". It's fine to do dullards like Andrew Lloyd Webber and Cake Boss but taking on a Legend Of Humanity who radiates titanic Teutonic gravitas like Werner Herzog is a terrible, terrible idea because your performance will be overshadowed by the towering genius of the real person.

Paul F F Tompkins is the exception to that rule. Because he's actually magical.

I guess I can't possibly love PFT anymore than I already do. Everyone else was awesome also. But there is never enough Paul. In any character or format! When he breaks character slightly and laughs it sends me right over.

I guess I can't possibly love PFT anymore than I already do. Everyone else was awesome also. But there is never enough Paul. In any character or format! When he breaks character slightly and laughs it sends me right over.

This is one of my favorite CBB/CDR episodes ever. When I think about what makes SNL successful, I think of celebrities, live music, and character based comedy. This episode had those three things, but still felt fresh (unlike SNL) thanks to the Scott's hosting and PFT's improv skills.

This is one of my favorite CBB/CDR episodes ever. When I think about what makes SNL successful, I think of celebrities, live music, and character based comedy. This episode had those three things, but still felt fresh (unlike SNL) thanks to the Scott's hosting and PFT's improv skills.

@Crytslal and GW: You are both so right you should get medals.

I can't stop listening to this episode. It's after midnight Monday morning, and I just finished my fifth time all the way through. And that doesn't include the couple of times skipping through just to hear Yo La Tengo perform again and again. Zach and Paul were great, as usual. (Happy Birthday, Paul.) My favorite moment is when Zach forces Paul and Werner to greet each other. When Paul changes voices seamlessly, Zach says, "How do you do that?" and the purity of his respect for Paul's talent is remarkable. Outstanding episode Scott.

I love Yo La Tengo! It was great to hear them on CBB, packed into another killer episode.

Coincidentally, 14 years ago this week I saw Yo La Tengo play in Ann Arbor on my 21st birthday (yep, I just turned 35). YLT was awesome as always, but the night devolved into multiple Wild Turkey pukings, the best of which left a perfectly symmetrical sunburst-like stain on the First St. sidewalk in front of the Blind Pig until about 6 months later. Through the winter!

Werner Herzog is on and no mention of the greatest comedy ever?!?! If you've never seen "even dwarfs started small" then you've missed one of the greatest comedies of all time!!! what could be better than an all midget cast revolting against the 'man'?

Sign in to follow this