🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 10.2 — The Final Challenge: Day 2

Both final episodes were good. It is a tossup. I think they should both win because that would probably anger the most people.

I found both final submissions enjoyable, and they definitely have a basic similarity in that both are chat shows hosted by two people (no matter that Psycic Andy is billed as a sidekick on TL). I think having two hosts that have a great rapport with each other is a great formula for a podcast, so it's not weird to see LDDC and TL make it to the final two.

I do agree with an earlier post that it was a little weird that LDDC relied on two guests - maybe it was to hedge their fears of any dead air. With Tommy and Carl's quick wit and banter, though, I don't think that should've been a worry. When they said they'd have two guests, I thought it would be one at a time and be edited together, or maybe only have both on mic at the end. At times it got a little hectic and busy, but they all told interesting and funny anecdotes, so the entertainment value was still there.

With the final criteria being that only of preference, I'd have to give a slight edge to TL, if only because I think their show has a little bit more of a natural conversational feel to it. LDDC delivers more laughs but at times can be a little one-note. Anecdotes, riffing, more anecdotes, more jokes... it's very high energy, but if they only have one gear, then even that high energy can feel flat. That seems oxymoronic, so I'm probably not explaining it very well.

Whereas TL doesn't have the same laugh-a-minute ratio, it feels like they allow their conversation with their guest to develop organically. Often they go to funny places - unsurprisingly so, because they book guests from the comedy world - but they're not afraid to delve into tangents that aren't necessarily funny but are more interesting or dark.

Either way, Earwolf is gaining a great podcast, and the Challenge has been a FANTASTIC show to listen to. Always compelling and entertaining, often very funny, and even informative at times. It was really a pleasure to hear luminaries from the podcasting world debate and discuss this relatively new and developing art form. Great job producers, and great job Matt Besser for doing a sometimes thankless task of hosting. I look forward to Season 2 of the Challenge!

P.S. Not sure what you have in store for Day 3 of Finale Week, but I would love an overall retrospective show to hear Matt and the producer's thoughts on the show overall - whether it met their expectations, how their perspective changed along the way, how they would approach a second season, etc. I'm not sure if that belongs on tomorrow's show, as it might take away from the spotlight of the winner, but it would make for great listening.

I found both final submissions enjoyable, and they definitely have a basic similarity in that both are chat shows hosted by two people (no matter that Psycic Andy is billed as a sidekick on TL). I think having two hosts that have a great rapport with each other is a great formula for a podcast, so it's not weird to see LDDC and TL make it to the final two.

I do agree with an earlier post that it was a little weird that LDDC relied on two guests - maybe it was to hedge their fears of any dead air. With Tommy and Carl's quick wit and banter, though, I don't think that should've been a worry. When they said they'd have two guests, I thought it would be one at a time and be edited together, or maybe only have both on mic at the end. At times it got a little hectic and busy, but they all told interesting and funny anecdotes, so the entertainment value was still there.

With the final criteria being that only of preference, I'd have to give a slight edge to TL, if only because I think their show has a little bit more of a natural conversational feel to it. LDDC delivers more laughs but at times can be a little one-note. Anecdotes, riffing, more anecdotes, more jokes... it's very high energy, but if they only have one gear, then even that high energy can feel flat. That seems oxymoronic, so I'm probably not explaining it very well.

Whereas TL doesn't have the same laugh-a-minute ratio, it feels like they allow their conversation with their guest to develop organically. Often they go to funny places - unsurprisingly so, because they book guests from the comedy world - but they're not afraid to delve into tangents that aren't necessarily funny but are more interesting or dark.

Either way, Earwolf is gaining a great podcast, and the Challenge has been a FANTASTIC show to listen to. Always compelling and entertaining, often very funny, and even informative at times. It was really a pleasure to hear luminaries from the podcasting world debate and discuss this relatively new and developing art form. Great job producers, and great job Matt Besser for doing a sometimes thankless task of hosting. I look forward to Season 2 of the Challenge!

P.S. Not sure what you have in store for Day 3 of Finale Week, but I would love an overall retrospective show to hear Matt and the producer's thoughts on the show overall - whether it met their expectations, how their perspective changed along the way, how they would approach a second season, etc. I'm not sure if that belongs on tomorrow's show, as it might take away from the spotlight of the winner, but it would make for great listening.

I'd be fine with either of these podcasts winning. It seems to me they have pretty similar strengths and weaknesses. If I had to choose I'd probably give the edge to TL which has more of a hook with the married couple thing. It's probably very unfair (and typically narrow-minded American) of me, but I can't help thinking of LDDC as "TOFOP's baby brother". On the other hand, LDDC would bring a nice international flavor to the Earwolf lineup, whereas there seems to be some crossover between TL's guests and the usual gang of Earwolf guests.
As far as judging just by this week's submissions, it's pretty close. My attention started to wander slightly more during LDDC, but maybe that's only because I was busier when I listened to it.
I suppose it's a little disappointing that the competition came down to two gabfests, but the truth is Earwolf doesn't have a show that's just straight up, free form chat without a theme or a gimmick. While I would have liked to see something more conceptual in the running, either one of these will be a good addition to the lineup.
Sorry this post wasn't more condescending and confrontational.

I'd be fine with either of these podcasts winning. It seems to me they have pretty similar strengths and weaknesses. If I had to choose I'd probably give the edge to TL which has more of a hook with the married couple thing. It's probably very unfair (and typically narrow-minded American) of me, but I can't help thinking of LDDC as "TOFOP's baby brother". On the other hand, LDDC would bring a nice international flavor to the Earwolf lineup, whereas there seems to be some crossover between TL's guests and the usual gang of Earwolf guests.
As far as judging just by this week's submissions, it's pretty close. My attention started to wander slightly more during LDDC, but maybe that's only because I was busier when I listened to it.
I suppose it's a little disappointing that the competition came down to two gabfests, but the truth is Earwolf doesn't have a show that's just straight up, free form chat without a theme or a gimmick. While I would have liked to see something more conceptual in the running, either one of these will be a good addition to the lineup.
Sorry this post wasn't more condescending and confrontational.

I thought the rapport with Besser was better from yesterday's episode, though I still did like the coaching theme of responses to past judges notes. I think the skype connection hampers the natural give and take - though that it nobody's fault given that LDDC is in Australia and Matt and Frank are in Los Angeles.
As others have stated, I thought the LDDC submission got a little antic and crowded with all of the voices in the room - though sometimes the chaos is part of the fun. There have been many classic CBB moments featuring a large cast of characters. A solid submission from LDDC nonetheless.
Oh, and apparently there is another poster on this forum that also goes by "Chris Anderson"....and he's a fan of Phish. That is not me - I prefer my songs much shorter than 6-25 minutes. I like tracks the length of most Pixies or Robert Pollard songs.
EDIT: Username fixed now. Thanks Shahruz!

I thought the rapport with Besser was better from yesterday's episode, though I still did like the coaching theme of responses to past judges notes. I think the skype connection hampers the natural give and take - though that it nobody's fault given that LDDC is in Australia and Matt and Frank are in Los Angeles.
As others have stated, I thought the LDDC submission got a little antic and crowded with all of the voices in the room - though sometimes the chaos is part of the fun. There have been many classic CBB moments featuring a large cast of characters. A solid submission from LDDC nonetheless.
Oh, and apparently there is another poster on this forum that also goes by "Chris Anderson"....and he's a fan of Phish. That is not me - I prefer my songs much shorter than 6-25 minutes. I like tracks the length of most Pixies or Robert Pollard songs.
EDIT: Username fixed now. Thanks Shahruz!

It's funny to see that people on here actually think LDDC doesn't like Matt and that they were actually upset about anything! I guess there needs to be clueless folk out there for the rest of us to laugh at! Like I said on the TL thread, there wasn't anything LDDC could do this week to be worse than TLs submission this week but they won't win and it probably would be better for them if they don't. Surprisingly, I find myself not caring about the outcome after being invested in the competition throughout. The LDDC submission was actually very good except most of the time the guy with the weird voice spoke. But, he even had a couple of good lines that paid off in the end. Comedians sitting around in a gabfest are not easy to do and fail more often than not so it's nice to hear it work and also nice to hear about comedy outside of LA. I fear that winning would end up making the show bad trying to focus on the US too much and TL can probably benefit from the guidance, support and recognition so I'm really good either way.

Definitely have another season!!

It's funny to see that people on here actually think LDDC doesn't like Matt and that they were actually upset about anything! I guess there needs to be clueless folk out there for the rest of us to laugh at! Like I said on the TL thread, there wasn't anything LDDC could do this week to be worse than TLs submission this week but they won't win and it probably would be better for them if they don't. Surprisingly, I find myself not caring about the outcome after being invested in the competition throughout. The LDDC submission was actually very good except most of the time the guy with the weird voice spoke. But, he even had a couple of good lines that paid off in the end. Comedians sitting around in a gabfest are not easy to do and fail more often than not so it's nice to hear it work and also nice to hear about comedy outside of LA. I fear that winning would end up making the show bad trying to focus on the US too much and TL can probably benefit from the guidance, support and recognition so I'm really good either way.

Definitely have another season!!

@Chris Anderson I can change your username to something else if you'd like to avoid the confusion.

@Chris Anderson I can change your username to something else if you'd like to avoid the confusion.

wow, jughead is humorless, that had me cracking up...

both podcasts were good, but dum dums win IMO...subscribed to both Dum dum and laime now though

PS LDDC seem to have multiple guests with some frequency....so i wouldnt say they are "relying on it" but that its something they seem to do...

wow, jughead is humorless, that had me cracking up...

both podcasts were good, but dum dums win IMO...subscribed to both Dum dum and laime now though

PS LDDC seem to have multiple guests with some frequency....so i wouldnt say they are "relying on it" but that its something they seem to do...

First post. I have been listening intently to each episode. Furthermore, I listened to multiple podcasts from every contestant. Due to the challenge, I am a regular listener of LDDC, TL, Ham Radio, TCGTE, and Left Handed Radio. I enjoy both LDDC and TL immensely. In my humble opinion, LDDC deserves to win due to the simple fact that if I were to introduce a friend to podcasting it would be through LDDC over TL. I find the comedy, repoire, and entertainment of Tommy and Karl something that very few podcasts are able to match. Regardless of the outcome, I can't wait to see what happens. Keep up the great work earwolf!

First post. I have been listening intently to each episode. Furthermore, I listened to multiple podcasts from every contestant. Due to the challenge, I am a regular listener of LDDC, TL, Ham Radio, TCGTE, and Left Handed Radio. I enjoy both LDDC and TL immensely. In my humble opinion, LDDC deserves to win due to the simple fact that if I were to introduce a friend to podcasting it would be through LDDC over TL. I find the comedy, repoire, and entertainment of Tommy and Karl something that very few podcasts are able to match. Regardless of the outcome, I can't wait to see what happens. Keep up the great work earwolf!

I love that the criteria for the round is super clear now. Sure for the finale it's a very broad criteria, but that's fine. I just love that it's clear. I love it with all my heart.

Tommy's machine gun chatter assault starts to wear on me a little if I listen to LDDC for too long, not because he doesn't have entertaining things to say but because he talks as if the world is about to end and he's trying to fit 70 years of future into a mere half hour. I guess that's at the heart of the zoo radio comparison - it's as if he feels like he has to get everything in before the next ad break. When he mentioned he doesn't drink coffee I nearly spat mine out because he comes across like he mainlines caffeine.

And yet, by the criteria, I prefered LDDC's entry this week. Totally Laime are more my speed but LDDC are more my funny and overall I prefer a show that's a bunch of laughs about wild nonsense to a show that's a pleasant chat about sweet nothings.

I love that the criteria for the round is super clear now. Sure for the finale it's a very broad criteria, but that's fine. I just love that it's clear. I love it with all my heart.

Tommy's machine gun chatter assault starts to wear on me a little if I listen to LDDC for too long, not because he doesn't have entertaining things to say but because he talks as if the world is about to end and he's trying to fit 70 years of future into a mere half hour. I guess that's at the heart of the zoo radio comparison - it's as if he feels like he has to get everything in before the next ad break. When he mentioned he doesn't drink coffee I nearly spat mine out because he comes across like he mainlines caffeine.

And yet, by the criteria, I prefered LDDC's entry this week. Totally Laime are more my speed but LDDC are more my funny and overall I prefer a show that's a bunch of laughs about wild nonsense to a show that's a pleasant chat about sweet nothings.

a good entry. something i really like about the show is its tone, it's just so upbeat. it's like you're hanging out with a couple of friends and getting a laugh every time you listen to an episode, the energy is just natural. totally laime is alright, but it feels so sterile in comparison, when they interview a guest the first few minutes are always them sort of awkwardly testing the waters. even when they hit a good spot they don't know how to keep it alive and it dies on the table. LDDC knows how to latch onto a bit and mine the comedy out of it. that probably has something to do with their comedian backgrounds.
-
i hope LDDC wins, i'm subscribed to them either way, but i feel like they're just funnier and easier to listen to. more people need to listen to them.

a good entry. something i really like about the show is its tone, it's just so upbeat. it's like you're hanging out with a couple of friends and getting a laugh every time you listen to an episode, the energy is just natural. totally laime is alright, but it feels so sterile in comparison, when they interview a guest the first few minutes are always them sort of awkwardly testing the waters. even when they hit a good spot they don't know how to keep it alive and it dies on the table. LDDC knows how to latch onto a bit and mine the comedy out of it. that probably has something to do with their comedian backgrounds.
-
i hope LDDC wins, i'm subscribed to them either way, but i feel like they're just funnier and easier to listen to. more people need to listen to them.

Sign in to follow this