🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays-Week 7-Cabaret!

No. I put my foot down on biopics.

That Thing You Do is ESSENTIALLY a biopic. If we do that, we have to do Walk Hard.

• Like 1

That Thing You Do is ESSENTIALLY a biopic. If we do that, we have to do Walk Hard.

I disagree. And I would be fine with Walk Hard.

• Like 1

I'm just not sure I get what the outer limit is then. Because 'That Thing You Do' (which I like a lot, BTW) has only one song, really. So how's it a musical?

And Walk Hard is a parody of I Walk the Line and has a Doors-themed poster, so that's a biopic surely!

(that pause is Cameron furiously finding clips of all the other songs in That Thing You Do!)

ETA - LOLLLLLL

• Like 4

I'm just not sure I get what the outer limit is then. Because 'That Thing You Do' (which I like a lot, BTW) has only one song, really. So how's it a musical?

And Walk Hard is a parody of I Walk the Line and has a Doors-themed poster, so that's a biopic surely!

No, it has other songs!

• Like 3

Bah! I quit! I'm going to go watch Orphan Black!

ETA - as I say, with no sarcasm at all, I'll watch whatever comes. I trust you all.

• Like 1

^ That gif portrays seriously one of the happiest moments of my adult life. I watched it live on TV with my kids and we we went fuckin' bananas.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm not sure - if we start nominating movies that have a couple of memorable songs (American Tail, That Thing You Do!) it's less 'Musical Mondays' and more like 'Movies with Music Mondays'. All of the movies we've had so far have been classically-defined musicals in that they use music to move the plot along. I think it's good to push things a bit but you should be able to justify your choice within the definition of 'Musical Mondays'. A lot of animated movies have music, but they're not exactly musicals. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory have the Oompa-Loompa songs, but I don't think any of us would nominate that as a musical.

I'm more than happy to watch whatever, but something like 'American Tail' which has a couple of incidental songs feels like a bit of a stretch to me. I mean, I know we did Beauty and the Beast, but we could easily fill every slot from now on with Disney movies because they're all built to have some kind of musical element, even if it's something like Moana where there could arguably have been a couple more songs, or Zootopia where that one Shakira song comes in a few times. I like doing musicals rather than movies with music, but as I say, I'll watch whatever.

An American Tail uses music to move the plot along, though, and I certainly wouldn't call the songs "incidental."

And I'd rather watch all of Disney's musical catalog (of which An American Tail is not part, since it was Amblin/Universal) than see another rock opera. But, I'll watch one if someone suggests it.

When we were coming up with this idea, we left the category intentionally broad so we could have a wide variety. Unless something came up that was clearly not a musical (e.g., someone tried to push Zootopia for the Shakira song or Back to the Future because of "Johnny B. Goode"), I'm fine with not being super rigid in our definition.

But An American Tail is definitely a musical :)

• Like 3

Well, darn it. I need to come up with another choice quick! They aren't going to like my selection of Reservoir Dogs for K-Billy's Sounds of the Seventies.

J/K. I have a musical picked that fits the definitions.

• Like 3

YOU FUCKIN' WATCH YOUR BAT FLIPS BOY

giphy1.gif

Relax, Taylor. No need to get all worked up. Change your shirt.

25087376.png

And, y'know, rather than getting all excited about stinky Odor's punch, worry more about his throws...

Love you Taylor. :)

• Like 2

Relax, Taylor. No need to get all worked up. Change your shirt.

And, y'know, rather than getting all excited about stinky Odor's punch, worry more about his throws...

Love you Taylor. :)

ONE THING JUST WAAASN'T ENOUGH WAS IT

TOO LATE WE'RE MORTAL ENEMIES NOW

• Like 5

ONE THING JUST WAAASN'T ENOUGH WAS IT

TOO LATE WE'RE MORTAL ENEMIES NOW

giphy.gif

• Like 3

It kind of shows how shitty Body Parts was when our Cabaret thread had a hundred more replies, and there's only, like, five active posters in this thread.

• Like 5

It kind of shows how shitty Body Parts was when our Cabaret thread had a hundred more replies, and there's only, like, five active posters in this thread.

Body Parts suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuked!

ETA: And most of the BP posts are repeats and Tom, Elektra, and I talking Iron Fist.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm at the point now where I'm thinking that I might get the C+O clean sweep, because no one's got anything to say.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm at the point now where I'm thinking that I might get the C+O clean sweep, because no one's got anything to say.

You rn:

s1A3qo.gif

• Like 6

We're just dicking around waiting for the week to be up so we can talk about the movie, so I feel okay posting this here (since someone didn't write a review so I could start shit on Letterboxd).

p0Z8kIp.png

You're dead to me, kateacola

• Like 5