🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays-Week 7-Cabaret!

Like, I get that you like them more, and that's totally fine, but let's not kid ourselves, even in comparison, that the F&F movies, with their meathead philosophy and glory shots of women's asses, are anything close to High Art. They're both bankrupt creatively. We just enjoy different types of trash.

I wouldn't call them High Art, but they don't pretend to be anything beyond what they are. They've leaned into the ridiculousness of their franchise, and that's kind of their brilliance.

Marvel movies and series, for the most part, take themselves way more seriously, and that's where I'm just like, "Ugh...get over it. You're just here to punch things, too." (Note: there are exceptions to this, and those are the movies that I can still deal with, like Ant-Man, Iron Man 3 or Guardians)

Also, the F&F movies at least heighten with each film. Yeah, it's all ridiculous shit, but it's NEW ridiculous shit. I've seen the same Marvel origin story at least 6 times now.

• Like 3

I wouldn't call them High Art, but they don't pretend to be anything beyond what they are. They've leaned into the ridiculousness of their franchise, and that's kind of their brilliance.

Marvel movies and series, for the most part, take themselves way more seriously, and that's where I'm just like, "Ugh...get over it. You're just here to punch things, too." (Note: there are exceptions to this, and those are the movies that I can still deal with, like Ant-Man, Iron Man 3 or Guardians)

I think you may be the one taking them too seriously. I dont think, "Wow, this Thor movie is teaching me so much about fraternal love." Like F&F, I just watch it for the spectacle--just like I would for a Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or Jurassic Park movie. I could easily make the same argument and say, "Ugh! These F&F movies are all about family. I get it! Lighten up and drive a car off a mountain." It's all just melodrama.

So again, if you'd rather not watch them, that's fine. I get it. But they're essentially the same thing.

ETA: Since you edited in another argument...the characters in F&F movies have been established for nearly 20 years. I'm sure there was an "origin story" in Tokyo Drift when they tried to introduce new characters. It's not like the "Winter Soldier" or "Civil War" are "origin stories." They are a heightening of the same character. Which is exactly what you said you like about the F&F movies. Again. No different.

• Like 1

It's interesting you call out Marvel specifically, when it's DC that I feel take themselves way too seriously. To me, Marvel movies are all fun and fights (and punching things).

• Like 3

It's interesting you call out Marvel specifically, when it's DC that I feel take themselves way too seriously. To me, Marvel movies are all fun and fights (and punching things).

Co-signed. I also get origin story fatigue. Maybe if Marvel could follow the DC formula of constant failure they wouldn't have to keep introducing all these new characters. ;)

• Like 1

Oh man yeah if anything is the epitome of "lighten up" it's fuckin' DC holy shit.

I just want to say that I think if Winter Soldier had not been so serious I don't think I would have liked it as much. That was a brilliant political thriller with Captain America and Black Widow punching things in it.

I also think that if anyone in Marvel takes themselves too seriously it's Joss Whedon and his crew. The first Avengers was all perfectly timed jokes and what not, but then that second one was... well no one needs me to write another 10 page dissertation on that pile of shit.

• Like 4

I think you may be the one taking them too seriously. I dont think, "Wow, this Thor movie is teaching me so much about fraternal love." Like F&F, I just watch it for the spectacle--just like I would for a Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or Jurassic Park movie. I could easily make the same argument and say, "Ugh! These F&F movies are all about family. I get it! Lighten up and drive a car off a mountain." It's all just melodrama.

So again, if you'd rather not watch them, that's fine. I get it. But they're essentially the same thing.

ETA: since you edited in another argument...the characters in F&F movies have been established for nearly 20 years. I'm sure there was an "origin story" in Tokyo Drift when they introduced new characters. It's not like the Winter Soldier or "Civil War" are "origin stories. They are a heightening of the same character. Which is exactly what you said you like about the F&F movies. Again. No different.

No. But they are still making stuff like Doctor Strange, which is the same, boring origin story we've seen over and over. And while I liked Winter Soldier, Civil War and Age of Ultron were self-important nonsense. Fast and Furious is a silly franchise and one that delights in its own silliness.

I call out Marvel specifically because every time a new Marvel property comes out, everyone here goes on and on about it (e.g., the ongoing six-page tangent about Iron Fist). But I do think the Marvel movies take themselves too seriously in terms of building their universe and things like that. They want to pretend like they're doing something different, when they're really just making the same stuff over and over. It's basically the peak tv model applied to cinema.

Again, I'm not arguing these as High Art, but I don't understand how people can fall all over Marvel in one thread and then rush each other to brag about how few F&F movies they've seen in another, when I consider those to basically be the linchpin of this podcast.

• Like 1

No. But they are still making stuff like Doctor Strange, which is the same, boring origin story we've seen over and over. And while I liked Winter Soldier, Civil War and Age of Ultron were self-important nonsense. Fast and Furious is a silly franchise and one that delights in its own silliness.

I call out Marvel specifically because every time a new Marvel property comes out, everyone here goes on and on about it (e.g., the ongoing six-page tangent about Iron Fist). But I do think the Marvel movies take themselves too seriously in terms of building their universe and things like that. They want to pretend like they're doing something different, when they're really just making the same stuff over and over. It's basically the peak tv model applied to cinema.

Again, I'm not arguing these as High Art, but I don't understand how people can fall all over Marvel in one thread and then rush each other to brag about how few F&F movies they've seen in another, when I consider those to basically be the linchpin of this podcast.

Nobody's bragging dude. We just don't like them as much as you do. You're the one who brought it up. I've said I liked Seven. I've enjoyed them all just fine. I'm not attacking it at all. But don't attack someone whose taste is different than yours if you're not prepared for people to disagree.

And we're not "falling all over" Iron Fist. We're discussing it like we discuss any dumb movie on this site. You don't have to participate if you don't want to.

RE: "High Art" I brought that up since you made the Marvel comparison about them being "uninspired." My point is, so are the F&F movies.

• Like 1

Nobody's bragging dude. We just don't like them as much as you do. You're the one who brought it up.

I brought it up as good-natured ribbing, and then everyone basically started with the "Oh, well here's how few I've seen."

Sorry, I'll just not bring it up again.

• Like 1

I brought it up as good-natured ribbing, and then everyone basically started with the "Oh, well here's how few I've seen."

Sorry, I'll just not bring it up again.

No, it's fine. You just seem to be getting...upset.

• Like 1

Sorry, Fister. I didn't mean to shit on something you love. Completely sincere, here. Your defence of F+F seems like my ongoing defence of the late Rocky movies. Okay, bad example, maybe, but I love those completely no matter what.

• Like 2

Sorry, Fister. I didn't mean to shit on something you love. Completely sincere, here. Your defence of F+F seems like my ongoing defence of the late Rocky movies. Okay, bad example, maybe, but I love those completely no matter what.

I love ALL Rocky Movies unironically.

• Like 3

I brought it up as good-natured ribbing, and then everyone basically started with the "Oh, well here's how few I've seen.

I understand it was good-natured. The poking fun at makes me feel included:

200.gif#1

And I only mentioned how few I've seen because while watching 7, it felt like maybe I was missing some plot points or something. So I said that to possibly help explain why I did not like it.

I feel the same way you do about Marvel movies/shows. There's been only a few I am totally down for, otherwise mostly feel "meh" about. Ant Man and GOTG are also the most recent ones I really enjoyed.

Edited: Also agree with y'all about DC. Like don't get me started on Suicide Squad. I HATED it.. And BvS I did not even bother with.

• Like 3

And I'm sorry, too, y'all. I may have blown it a bit out of proportion. It's been a shitty morning, and I definitely was getting upset over something stupid.

Still, though....I'll take F&F over Doctor Strange or Iron Fist any day.

I understand it was good-natured. The poking fun at makes me feel included:

200.gif#1

We do show our love in strange, abusive ways.

• Like 4

Oh man I brought up how few I've seen as a bad thing considering this podcast lol. Like those episodes are some of my favorite and I've still yet to see more than one full one. I had no intentions of appearing ~better~ than them if that's how it came across. Cause honestly, even though I didn't fully know the characters, when Giselle and Han died I had a real emotional reaction.

(ETA: Also when I walked out of my friend's house during Fast Five I was stoned out of my mind and it was like 1 AM and I couldn't process the fact that it seemed like they drove all the way from LA to Rio in sports cars lol)

• Like 4

And I'm sorry, too, y'all. I may have blown it a bit out of proportion. It's been a shitty morning, and I definitely was getting upset over something stupid.

It's totally cool, man. I've definitely had those days (it feels like more and more often lately). Sometimes shit just bugs you. Just know that we love you and we'll always have your back. You know why?

tumblr_mxlwnpDegF1rlcaclo1_500.gif

(I hope your day gets better)

• Like 4