Episode 57 - The Running Man and Die Hard with Steven de Souza: Live from Alamo Drafthouse

4 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 5,280 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:53 AM

Presented by the Alamo Drafthouse and recorded live from The Regent Theater in Downtown Los Angeles, Matt speaks with screenwriter Steven de Souza about the 1987 film The Running Man and 1988 film Die Hard. Steven lays urban myths to rest and goes in depth about both films including the unavoidable political aspects of the now 30 year old film The Running Man compared to today’s political climate and the ever changing script almost down to the wire of Die Hard. Plus, we hear a bit how the cult classic Hudson Hawk become what it is thanks to Bruce Willis’ input.
listen to scott aukerman on the latest ep of my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

I knew beforehand about the missing ambulance in the beginning of Die Hard, but as goof... So cool that after all these years I now know It was not a unintentional mistake or someone who out of neglect/incompetence did not do their job right that day, but rather a continuity error brought up by changes in the script and shoot

#3 Bumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationShmocation

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

This whole episode is a great argument for the importance of having logical, thought out stories in 'big dumb' action movies.

#4 MattHilferty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:04 AM

Great podcast. Shame /Film blatantly lifted the UPS Plane bit without even the courtesy of a shout out.

#5 Dan Engler

Ombudsman

• Administrators
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:26 AM

View PostMattHilferty, on 17 March 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Great podcast. Shame /Film blatantly lifted the UPS Plane bit without even the courtesy of a shout out.

Looking at the author's page on /Film, he attended the Alamo Drafthouse event in person and managed to stretch de Souza's comments into four(!) separate articles, one of which references Matt and IWTT.
Disclaimer: I am not an Earwolf employee. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of Midroll Media LLC.