🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ScareHouseScott

1941 (1979)

Arguably the question with 1941 is not "how did this get made" but "how did this go so wrong?"

Steven Spielberg directs a story by Bob Zemeckis & Bob Gale featuring a cast of iconic comic actors from SNL, SCTV, and Animal House ... and it's more than 2 hours of noise, jaw-dropping racist stereotypes, thigh fetish shots, explosions, and so much screaming that it often feels like they inserted a supercut right into the narrative.

Added bonus of viewing is that you can see the building blocks of story and action sequences that led to considerably better films such as Raiders of the Lost Ark and Back to The Future. Treat Williams is essentially the proto-Biff, his entire "I hate eggs" arc will seem remarkably familiar. (Treat Williams' character is, however, considerably and disturbingly more rapey.)

Did I mention that John Milius is a co-writer and producer? Because if you're looking for a light comic touch, look no further than the guy behind Conan, Magnum Force, and Apocalypse Now.

This is a film I keep wanting to go back and watch, I haven't seen it in over 25 years since I was a kid. I remember thinking it was not that bad when I saw it all those years ago but I keep reading these days about how bad it is and I have no doubt it is actually that bad.

If it is as bad as ive read and like you say there is a lot of laying the ground work for fils that were yet to come this could be a good choice for HDTGM

• Like 1

This would be a great choice for the podcast. It one of those movies has so much talent in it, yet it somehow goes horribly wrong.

Sign in to follow this