🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 10.3 — The Final Challenge: Day 3

I bought a little new years eve confetti popper thing for this, and in retrospect, I realize it is kind of a sad image. It's a sad day for me, not because my choice did not win, but because the earwolf challenge is complete. I was not vested in either of these shows, my pick already fell out, so I went into this episode excited for either win. They are both funny shows, and I think either would fit in well. I think the judgement was great, Jeff and Scott knew what they wanted, and they explained it well. It was a great listen, and I was excited for a two hour episode... because what else do I have to do. So, I am behind the decision 100 percent, and I am looking forward to hearing the wolf dead after prince songs.
-
I want to say, in regard to the Earwolf Challenge, and I think this has been mirrored before on the forums. There is no podcast that has made me listen right as it downloads into my itunes. I save most shows for when I am at work, because it is ten hours of standing in one place, and then is when i can best focus on my favorite shows. With EWC though, the moment I would get home at 3 in morning, 3 days a week, I would jump right in, especially on judgement days. You really get wrapped up in the whole thing, whether your horse is still in the race or not. I want to thank Frank, Peter and Matt for building up the fun, tension and drama. They did a great job mapping out new territory, and really succeeded. I think if any of them read these forums, their spirits might be dragged through the dirt every now and then, but I wholeheartedly think they really did the work and it shows. So to anyone who trashes this show, Totally Laime or any of the other shows who competed, please start linking to your podcasts so they can be held up to the same microscope, maybe they will be candidates for the second season of the Earwold Challenge
-
Also, Matt, you killed me with the long distance relationship line. I had to grab another confetti popper

You know, if you had just said from the beginning that the goal was to find the most vapid, disposable podcast imaginable, you could have avoided all of the vitriol on this forum over these last ten weeks.

The best part about today is that I will never have to listen to Totally Laime ever again.

You know, if you had just said from the beginning that the goal was to find the most vapid, disposable podcast imaginable, you could have avoided all of the vitriol on this forum over these last ten weeks.

The best part about today is that I will never have to listen to Totally Laime ever again.

Great episode! Except for Jeff's horrifying Chicago accent, of course.

Great episode! Except for Jeff's horrifying Chicago accent, of course.

Thanks for this series guys, I've got really invested in it, so thanks for all the work, time and effort that's been put into it, I can't wait for season 2.
This was a really cool way to end the show, loved the discussion and analysis of the tournament and why certain decisions were made, that was all really interesting to listen to. I've been critical in this forum at times, but that answered a lot of the problems I had.
-
I'm disappointed with how things have ended up, I really strongly disagree with Scott and Jeff's decision but their discussion was so thoughtful and in-depth that I can't really argue with it, I don't doubt for a second that you both objectively enjoyed it more.
-
So congrats to all the podcasts that took part, well done Totally Laime.

Thanks for this series guys, I've got really invested in it, so thanks for all the work, time and effort that's been put into it, I can't wait for season 2.
This was a really cool way to end the show, loved the discussion and analysis of the tournament and why certain decisions were made, that was all really interesting to listen to. I've been critical in this forum at times, but that answered a lot of the problems I had.
-
I'm disappointed with how things have ended up, I really strongly disagree with Scott and Jeff's decision but their discussion was so thoughtful and in-depth that I can't really argue with it, I don't doubt for a second that you both objectively enjoyed it more.
-
So congrats to all the podcasts that took part, well done Totally Laime.

Congratulations to Totally Laime! Goodbye to Earwolf Challenge Season One!
-
I had a somewhat unique experience with this show because not only am I a GIANT podcasting nerd, but the results directly affect my life as a member of the Earwolf team. In order to do my work, I would get all 3 of the week's shows at once, usually around midnight on Saturday, and I listened to all three immediately no matter what. I've been super invested and have listened to AT LEAST one full episode of each podcast since The Challenge began (I listened to every episode of Left Handed Radio this weekend during a long car trip!).
-
We were having a business call pretty soon before The Challenge started, and I asked Frank if there were any women competing. When he told me Totally Laime was in it, I squealed. I think I might have said "Okay, cool" but what I meant was "ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?!?! I LOVE TOTALLY LAIME!!!! IT BETTER WIN!!!!" Totally Laime is one of the first podcasts I listen to every Monday (which is saying something, because a LOT of good podcasts come out on Mondays) and I genuinely feel it is a special show that a lot of people will truly come to love.
-
So, congratulations Totally Laime. I'm so pumped for you to be on Earwolf. The Little Dum Dum Club: You have a subscriber in me, and from the looks of it, many other listeners. Best of luck to Tommy when he does Comedy Bang Bang at UCB. I would NOT have been upset to see you guys win. Eat some Tim Tams for me (I exhausted my list of Australian references a long time ago). You guys are true dickheads (am I using that term correctly?).
-
Lastly, as everyone else has said, thanks SO much to Matt Besser. Do you guys realize that we've gotten a 3 hour comedy class from one of the "founder-ers" of UCB every single week?!??? It's been amazing, and I'm already having withdrawal.

Congratulations to Totally Laime! Goodbye to Earwolf Challenge Season One!
-
I had a somewhat unique experience with this show because not only am I a GIANT podcasting nerd, but the results directly affect my life as a member of the Earwolf team. In order to do my work, I would get all 3 of the week's shows at once, usually around midnight on Saturday, and I listened to all three immediately no matter what. I've been super invested and have listened to AT LEAST one full episode of each podcast since The Challenge began (I listened to every episode of Left Handed Radio this weekend during a long car trip!).
-
We were having a business call pretty soon before The Challenge started, and I asked Frank if there were any women competing. When he told me Totally Laime was in it, I squealed. I think I might have said "Okay, cool" but what I meant was "ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?!?! I LOVE TOTALLY LAIME!!!! IT BETTER WIN!!!!" Totally Laime is one of the first podcasts I listen to every Monday (which is saying something, because a LOT of good podcasts come out on Mondays) and I genuinely feel it is a special show that a lot of people will truly come to love.
-
So, congratulations Totally Laime. I'm so pumped for you to be on Earwolf. The Little Dum Dum Club: You have a subscriber in me, and from the looks of it, many other listeners. Best of luck to Tommy when he does Comedy Bang Bang at UCB. I would NOT have been upset to see you guys win. Eat some Tim Tams for me (I exhausted my list of Australian references a long time ago). You guys are true dickheads (am I using that term correctly?).
-
Lastly, as everyone else has said, thanks SO much to Matt Besser. Do you guys realize that we've gotten a 3 hour comedy class from one of the "founder-ers" of UCB every single week?!??? It's been amazing, and I'm already having withdrawal.

For the first twenty minutes, Scott humbled Matt. Come on Besser, your qualifications are better than his.

Season five and six of The Simpsons were the best years. Run by David Mirkin, who worked on Get a Life with Bob Odenkirk, who gave Scott his only real job. Also blah blah blah.

For the first twenty minutes, Scott humbled Matt. Come on Besser, your qualifications are better than his.

Season five and six of The Simpsons were the best years. Run by David Mirkin, who worked on Get a Life with Bob Odenkirk, who gave Scott his only real job. Also blah blah blah.

The topic of when The Simpsons declined (season 9 when Mike Scully became showrunner) is a topic very close to my heart and I would have liked to have discussed this in more depth with Scott.

Although I can see why someone would think season 5/6 was the point of the decline, because the style and tone of the show changed at the point, some might say for the better, others not.

Also, the internet did already kind of exists in the form of newsgroups, and there were people ranting about the quality of the show then, which led to the "Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show" episode.

Anyway as you were.

The topic of when The Simpsons declined (season 9 when Mike Scully became showrunner) is a topic very close to my heart and I would have liked to have discussed this in more depth with Scott.

Although I can see why someone would think season 5/6 was the point of the decline, because the style and tone of the show changed at the point, some might say for the better, others not.

Also, the internet did already kind of exists in the form of newsgroups, and there were people ranting about the quality of the show then, which led to the "Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show" episode.

Anyway as you were.

While I wasn't the biggest fan of Totally Laime (I must admit I was rooting for Left-Handed Radio, then TLDDC going into this), I am in no way upset with how this turned out. I was plenty entertained by both entries, and I think the 2-1 vote could have easily gone either way and remained completely fair. So, congrats to Totally Laime, I look forward to subscribing to you as another wonderful Earwolf show.
Now, I gotta echo the sentiments of how engaging the Earwolf Challenge was as a whole. Every week, I waited until Tuesday nights at midnight just so I could stay up and knock out all three episodes for the week in one sitting. No other podcast has ever earned such urgency from the likes of my ears. Y'all talk so much about the importance of the hook, and your show has one of the best ever: an in-depth study of the essence of podcasting communicated over the narrative of a competition. The variety of examples the format provided was incredibly fulfilling, allowing us to see effectively what nuts and bolts separate good from great podcasting. While I was invested with who won or lost over the weeks, and I did find myself griping a little over the procedure, I think the overall value of the show as a learning experience is indispensable, and I would be incredibly sad to hear that it will never happen again. If anything, I think the show would grow with further seasons, since every batch of shows will have all the previous seasons to take to heart before even beginning to compete, which would lead to less confusion over what the shows should or shouldn't be aiming to accomplish. And now I'm rambling. Thesis: please, please, please come back with another season, Earwolf. And if Matt Besser can continue to be involved, all the better.

While I wasn't the biggest fan of Totally Laime (I must admit I was rooting for Left-Handed Radio, then TLDDC going into this), I am in no way upset with how this turned out. I was plenty entertained by both entries, and I think the 2-1 vote could have easily gone either way and remained completely fair. So, congrats to Totally Laime, I look forward to subscribing to you as another wonderful Earwolf show.
Now, I gotta echo the sentiments of how engaging the Earwolf Challenge was as a whole. Every week, I waited until Tuesday nights at midnight just so I could stay up and knock out all three episodes for the week in one sitting. No other podcast has ever earned such urgency from the likes of my ears. Y'all talk so much about the importance of the hook, and your show has one of the best ever: an in-depth study of the essence of podcasting communicated over the narrative of a competition. The variety of examples the format provided was incredibly fulfilling, allowing us to see effectively what nuts and bolts separate good from great podcasting. While I was invested with who won or lost over the weeks, and I did find myself griping a little over the procedure, I think the overall value of the show as a learning experience is indispensable, and I would be incredibly sad to hear that it will never happen again. If anything, I think the show would grow with further seasons, since every batch of shows will have all the previous seasons to take to heart before even beginning to compete, which would lead to less confusion over what the shows should or shouldn't be aiming to accomplish. And now I'm rambling. Thesis: please, please, please come back with another season, Earwolf. And if Matt Besser can continue to be involved, all the better.

I've joined up and registered just to to say that, I really enjoyed the challenge. I don't know if the best men won, but a) I don't think that's important. Listen to whichever one you want B) the contest worked completely on its own terms.

(That said, for all the new podcasts and jokes I've heard the most entertaining part of the whole thing was Besser and the legendary Scottabott swapping opinions on comedy)

I've joined up and registered just to to say that, I really enjoyed the challenge. I don't know if the best men won, but a) I don't think that's important. Listen to whichever one you want B) the contest worked completely on its own terms.

(That said, for all the new podcasts and jokes I've heard the most entertaining part of the whole thing was Besser and the legendary Scottabott swapping opinions on comedy)

Can't say I'll ever bother listening to Totally Laime or another Earwolf Challenge but the guys from the Little Dum Dum podcast have become a regular download for me. Honestly, seemed rather silly to go through all of this when it was pretty clear Totally Laime was going to get the eventual nod. Hell even this final episode at almost two hours was really excessive as it was basically the three of you guys trying to justify your decision.

Can't say I'll ever bother listening to Totally Laime or another Earwolf Challenge but the guys from the Little Dum Dum podcast have become a regular download for me. Honestly, seemed rather silly to go through all of this when it was pretty clear Totally Laime was going to get the eventual nod. Hell even this final episode at almost two hours was really excessive as it was basically the three of you guys trying to justify your decision.

I am really baffled by the people who refuse to listen to TL. I will definitely listen to their first Earwolf episode and, just as I did with Comedy Death Ray, Who Charted, and WTF, I'll listen to their back catalogue, starting with the episodes where performers whose names I recognise guest, then proceeding chronologically from the start once I'm convinced I'll like anything they do. I predict that I'm going to become a fan.

I did like LDDC, but I have to say that I am not compelled to download their podcast in the same way. They're fairly funny, but not as funny as the veterans that appear on the other Earwolf podcasts, and they don't offer much besides this second-rate funniness.

What I find particularly infuriating is the suggestion that TL won because they're located in LA or because they contain a token female. That is horse-shit. Theirs is a better podcast, or, at minimum, they're roughly equal, but the judges liked them better when it counted. They are certainly not so bad that the only thing that got them over the line was their location and gender. That is some made up fantasy internet sniping flim flam.

The main thing I got out of this episode, though, is the following: I. LOVE. SCOTT. AUKERMAN. I loved everything he said in this episode, from his praise of Matt Besser, to the analysis of why people are douchebags on the internet, to the analysis of reality TV shows. Scott says smart stuff, he says it compellingly, he says things I agree with but could never articulate myself, he is fair, he is restrained, and yet he takes strong positions. When he was fairly and yet critically discussing the nature of fandom and the internet, it reminded me of the time on Sklarbro Country when he put the brakes on whatever riff the Sklars were on in order to voice his opinion that certain laws are less concerned with justice than with making poor people's lives worse. I was really touched by that! And I was touched by the serious things he said on this episode. This was a good series, I think Earwolf should do a second season of it.

I am really baffled by the people who refuse to listen to TL. I will definitely listen to their first Earwolf episode and, just as I did with Comedy Death Ray, Who Charted, and WTF, I'll listen to their back catalogue, starting with the episodes where performers whose names I recognise guest, then proceeding chronologically from the start once I'm convinced I'll like anything they do. I predict that I'm going to become a fan.

I did like LDDC, but I have to say that I am not compelled to download their podcast in the same way. They're fairly funny, but not as funny as the veterans that appear on the other Earwolf podcasts, and they don't offer much besides this second-rate funniness.

What I find particularly infuriating is the suggestion that TL won because they're located in LA or because they contain a token female. That is horse-shit. Theirs is a better podcast, or, at minimum, they're roughly equal, but the judges liked them better when it counted. They are certainly not so bad that the only thing that got them over the line was their location and gender. That is some made up fantasy internet sniping flim flam.

The main thing I got out of this episode, though, is the following: I. LOVE. SCOTT. AUKERMAN. I loved everything he said in this episode, from his praise of Matt Besser, to the analysis of why people are douchebags on the internet, to the analysis of reality TV shows. Scott says smart stuff, he says it compellingly, he says things I agree with but could never articulate myself, he is fair, he is restrained, and yet he takes strong positions. When he was fairly and yet critically discussing the nature of fandom and the internet, it reminded me of the time on Sklarbro Country when he put the brakes on whatever riff the Sklars were on in order to voice his opinion that certain laws are less concerned with justice than with making poor people's lives worse. I was really touched by that! And I was touched by the serious things he said on this episode. This was a good series, I think Earwolf should do a second season of it.

Sign in to follow this