🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 10.3 — The Final Challenge: Day 3

finally, a chat show that interviews famous american comedians on earwolf! a major gap in the programming has certainly been filled.
enjoy your one year contract, TL! you didn't earn it in my view but i'm willing to be proved wrong...

finally, a chat show that interviews famous american comedians on earwolf! a major gap in the programming has certainly been filled.
enjoy your one year contract, TL! you didn't earn it in my view but i'm willing to be proved wrong...

What an awesome show this has been! I'll miss not hearing Matt Besser's voice three days a week...

BTW, "criteria" is plural for "criterion"... I cringe a little bit hearing phrases like "what is the criteria"... (perhaps I need to step in to the smarty pants filled with grandma's custard)

What an awesome show this has been! I'll miss not hearing Matt Besser's voice three days a week...

BTW, "criteria" is plural for "criterion"... I cringe a little bit hearing phrases like "what is the criteria"... (perhaps I need to step in to the smarty pants filled with grandma's custard)

Obviously, this is all relative, i think all of the podcasts were good in their own right. However, Totally Laime was definitely MY favourite throughout, and i'm 'super excited' they won. Hurrah!

Obviously, this is all relative, i think all of the podcasts were good in their own right. However, Totally Laime was definitely MY favourite throughout, and i'm 'super excited' they won. Hurrah!

Congratulations to Totally Laime. I would've voted for TLDDC, but TL was one of the strongest competitors throughout. You can't expect your favorite to win every reality/competition show. The Challenge was definitely appointment listening for me too, I hope it runs again. I enjoyed the ability to sample different podcasts, see how they rolled with the punches, and hear notes from some of the best podcasters working today. Matt Besser was good and got even better, but often a given week's quality was heavily determined by the guest judges (personally I really enjoyed the Jimmy Pardo, Maron/Kremer, and Thorn/Tompkins weeks). That's not meant as a slam on other guest judges, and today was an interesting one for hearing Jeff and Scott talk about the criteria and respond to some of the criticism, I felt a lot of nervous tension when the winner was announced.

Anyway I enjoyed the show and hope it runs again.

Congratulations to Totally Laime. I would've voted for TLDDC, but TL was one of the strongest competitors throughout. You can't expect your favorite to win every reality/competition show. The Challenge was definitely appointment listening for me too, I hope it runs again. I enjoyed the ability to sample different podcasts, see how they rolled with the punches, and hear notes from some of the best podcasters working today. Matt Besser was good and got even better, but often a given week's quality was heavily determined by the guest judges (personally I really enjoyed the Jimmy Pardo, Maron/Kremer, and Thorn/Tompkins weeks). That's not meant as a slam on other guest judges, and today was an interesting one for hearing Jeff and Scott talk about the criteria and respond to some of the criticism, I felt a lot of nervous tension when the winner was announced.

Anyway I enjoyed the show and hope it runs again.

I liked both finalists, but I was hoping for TLDDC. & TLDDC, I will still listen to them, as well as the Earwolf Network, I just enjoy podcasts. Earwolf, do what you do, the challenge forum has been full of cry-asses. Moving on

I liked both finalists, but I was hoping for TLDDC. & TLDDC, I will still listen to them, as well as the Earwolf Network, I just enjoy podcasts. Earwolf, do what you do, the challenge forum has been full of cry-asses. Moving on

Congratulations to Totally Laime. The Challenge was fantastic and I started listening to a lot of new shows because of it. I can't wait to season 2

Congratulations to Totally Laime. The Challenge was fantastic and I started listening to a lot of new shows because of it. I can't wait to season 2

Totally Laime was my favorite podcast (in the whole wide world!) before this competition started- so I am unabashedly biased in my happiness that Elizabeth and Andy won. Now I can proudly say "I knew them before they won a million dollars on that reality show"!
I highly recommend anyone to check out www.totallylaimepodcast.com and listen to past episodes with guests who have never been on Earwolf before- such as: Sarah & Mike Burns, Chris Kula, Aubrey Plaza, Ari Shaffir, Erin Whitehead, Busy Phillips, Janet Varney, Lennon Parham, Emily Maya Mills, Kyle Bornheimer, et.al.
Hot Saucerman said it right, this became appointment listening for me, and I can't wait for the next season of the Challenge!
USA! USA! USA! (just kidding, Dickheads!)

Totally Laime was my favorite podcast (in the whole wide world!) before this competition started- so I am unabashedly biased in my happiness that Elizabeth and Andy won. Now I can proudly say "I knew them before they won a million dollars on that reality show"!
I highly recommend anyone to check out www.totallylaimepodcast.com and listen to past episodes with guests who have never been on Earwolf before- such as: Sarah & Mike Burns, Chris Kula, Aubrey Plaza, Ari Shaffir, Erin Whitehead, Busy Phillips, Janet Varney, Lennon Parham, Emily Maya Mills, Kyle Bornheimer, et.al.
Hot Saucerman said it right, this became appointment listening for me, and I can't wait for the next season of the Challenge!
USA! USA! USA! (just kidding, Dickheads!)

Congrats to TL for winning, and to the Challenge for being interesting throughout. I think all the podcasts involved will have gained listeners, so it's really a win win situation. Some of us listeners are actually in a position where we are more qualified than the actual judges to rate the podcasts in certain ways because we have actually listened to entire podcasts of the competitors. That said, it's still subjective, and the founders of Earwolf can choose whomever they like. I personally would have chosen TLDDC. I've downloaded most of their podcasts after hearing them on this show and listened to at least a dozen. Not once have I listened to one of their podcasts without laughing out loud. Scott Aukerman questioned if they focus on inside comedian talk too much, and I can attest that they don't. They mine funny material from various everyday events. I knew somehow that Scott would go for TL before I even heard the final podcast, which seems counterintuitive because he specializes in silly, pointless comedy such as Between Two Ferns and Comedy Bang Bang. (That's not a criticism. I find them both funny.) That would seem to put him more in the camp of TLDDC, but I just knew he would go the other way. I also think they have more upside because they are more naturally in-the-moment hilarious than any of the other podcasters. Little bits, games or recurring segments can always be added to a podcast arsenal, but I'm not sure you can teach funny. I wonder if they'd been located in L.A. and interviewed American celebs if that would have helped their cause with the judges. They actually caught up with Charlie Day at the Melbourne premiere of Horrible Bosses. In 30 seconds or so of unrehearsed interaction, and having never met him before, I thought they pulled more out of Charlie Day than any comparable segment of TL. They possibly hurt themselves in the final by going with two guests. Their show thrives on the one guest format which they usually have, and frankly they don't need any more. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter. They are the one competing podcast that I will continue to follow. On a final note, Matt Besser and others mentioned a lot of other podcasts that exist out there. I've Googled and Googled until I could Google no more, and most of those podcasts had never come up in my web searches until I heard about them on the show. It would be nice if there was some semi-comprehensive listing of the more popular ones. Is there, or did I just give myself an idea?

Congrats to TL for winning, and to the Challenge for being interesting throughout. I think all the podcasts involved will have gained listeners, so it's really a win win situation. Some of us listeners are actually in a position where we are more qualified than the actual judges to rate the podcasts in certain ways because we have actually listened to entire podcasts of the competitors. That said, it's still subjective, and the founders of Earwolf can choose whomever they like. I personally would have chosen TLDDC. I've downloaded most of their podcasts after hearing them on this show and listened to at least a dozen. Not once have I listened to one of their podcasts without laughing out loud. Scott Aukerman questioned if they focus on inside comedian talk too much, and I can attest that they don't. They mine funny material from various everyday events. I knew somehow that Scott would go for TL before I even heard the final podcast, which seems counterintuitive because he specializes in silly, pointless comedy such as Between Two Ferns and Comedy Bang Bang. (That's not a criticism. I find them both funny.) That would seem to put him more in the camp of TLDDC, but I just knew he would go the other way. I also think they have more upside because they are more naturally in-the-moment hilarious than any of the other podcasters. Little bits, games or recurring segments can always be added to a podcast arsenal, but I'm not sure you can teach funny. I wonder if they'd been located in L.A. and interviewed American celebs if that would have helped their cause with the judges. They actually caught up with Charlie Day at the Melbourne premiere of Horrible Bosses. In 30 seconds or so of unrehearsed interaction, and having never met him before, I thought they pulled more out of Charlie Day than any comparable segment of TL. They possibly hurt themselves in the final by going with two guests. Their show thrives on the one guest format which they usually have, and frankly they don't need any more. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter. They are the one competing podcast that I will continue to follow. On a final note, Matt Besser and others mentioned a lot of other podcasts that exist out there. I've Googled and Googled until I could Google no more, and most of those podcasts had never come up in my web searches until I heard about them on the show. It would be nice if there was some semi-comprehensive listing of the more popular ones. Is there, or did I just give myself an idea?

This competition was really fun to listen to and incredibly informative. The Earwolf Challenge is a glimpse into how feedback works with 'notes' on each of the shows. I really enjoyed the format to hear from guest judges. Great work!

This competition was really fun to listen to and incredibly informative. The Earwolf Challenge is a glimpse into how feedback works with 'notes' on each of the shows. I really enjoyed the format to hear from guest judges. Great work!

First of all I just wanna say I really enjoyed the challenge, and thanks to it I discovered two podcasts that I listen to religiously now (TLDDC and The Bob and Dan Cast) and a number of others like TL and Ham Radio that I also enjoy quite a bit.

My only complaint is with the finale. Honestly, for about 90 minutes of the 2 hour podcast it sounded like Scott Aukerman and Jeff Ulrich were mad at the listeners for liking what they like. It was insightful at first but it quickly seemed to take a turn into "we need to respond to complaints on the forums", and that gets extremely tedious after about 10 minutes. I think the only part of the last 3/4 I actually enjoyed listening to was Matt Besser's 9/11 joke. Also, when they looked back at each eliminated podcast it would be nicer if they focused on the positives rather than focusing on why it was eliminated. There was never an episode where I thought it wasn't sufficiently explained why something was eliminated, so when they did it again here it just seemed like piling on.

Anyway, like I said I loved the challenge, it was a great idea, exposed some great podcasts like TL and TLDDC to more people, and was generally a lot of fun, I just felt like the finale was a bit of a misfire. If you're going to go for 2 hours, especially if you have hilarious people like Aukerman and Besser involved, you should do a bit more to keep it fun to listen to. Just my opinion.

First of all I just wanna say I really enjoyed the challenge, and thanks to it I discovered two podcasts that I listen to religiously now (TLDDC and The Bob and Dan Cast) and a number of others like TL and Ham Radio that I also enjoy quite a bit.

My only complaint is with the finale. Honestly, for about 90 minutes of the 2 hour podcast it sounded like Scott Aukerman and Jeff Ulrich were mad at the listeners for liking what they like. It was insightful at first but it quickly seemed to take a turn into "we need to respond to complaints on the forums", and that gets extremely tedious after about 10 minutes. I think the only part of the last 3/4 I actually enjoyed listening to was Matt Besser's 9/11 joke. Also, when they looked back at each eliminated podcast it would be nicer if they focused on the positives rather than focusing on why it was eliminated. There was never an episode where I thought it wasn't sufficiently explained why something was eliminated, so when they did it again here it just seemed like piling on.

Anyway, like I said I loved the challenge, it was a great idea, exposed some great podcasts like TL and TLDDC to more people, and was generally a lot of fun, I just felt like the finale was a bit of a misfire. If you're going to go for 2 hours, especially if you have hilarious people like Aukerman and Besser involved, you should do a bit more to keep it fun to listen to. Just my opinion.

It sucks but I guess it won't really affect me much. I knew before even listening to this weeks episodes that regardless of who won I was going to start listening to tlddc and continue to not give a shit about totally laime.

Sign in to follow this