đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
KarnaWarrior

The Evil Within (2017)

Trailer:

I came across a few articles talking about this movie because it was just released on Amazon, and both the movie and its production seem completely insane.

The movie was directed by Andrew Getty, the grandson of J. Paul Getty and heir to the Getty oil fortune. He spent 15 years working on the movie - 5 years filming and the rest of the time holed up in his mansion, editing and doing copious amounts of meth.

Here's a good article about the movie:

https://www.theguard...illionaire-meth

Some excerpts of note:

"Never one to let a little thing like inexperience stop him, Getty rounded up a crew of actors with no idea what they were getting into and dove into shooting on what was then titled The Storyteller. Production ultimately stretched out over the course of five years, progressing in fits and starts as Getty devised elaborate custom camera rigs, pricy original sets and, in one instance, a large animatronic octopus designed to play a drum kit.

After he called a wrap on shooting, Getty continued to obsess over perfecting each and every frame of this labor of love. He converted one of his mansion’s many rooms into a post-production suite, where he spent untold years on intricate in-camera special-effects techniques. Producer Michael Luceri estimates Getty’s personal expenditure on the movie somewhere in the neighborhood of $5m, a figure that left the heir in financial ruin. His story came to a tragic end in 2015, when he died at age 47 from a hemorrhaging ulcer brought on by a long history of recreational meth usage. He wouldn’t live to see the completion of his life’s work, but his absolute, unmatched devotion to the project shines through in the now-available finished cut."

" Even during the brief flashes in which Getty’s script makes some semblance of sense, the finished product plays like an unholy fusion of A Nightmare on Elm Street and the fictitious “Simple Jack” from the showbiz satire Tropic Thunder."

In summation, I think this movie would be perfect for HDTGM

Thank you for your kind consideration.

• Like 1

This looks amazing/awful! Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Is that guy in the trailer supposed to be developmentally disabled?

Yeah, he's supposed to be mentally handicapped in some way. The premise is basically that he's driven insane by this monster in his mirror. Another classic "disabled-person-becomes-a-murderer" story in the same vein as Lawnmower Man!

Yeah, he's supposed to be mentally handicapped in some way. The premise is basically that he's driven insane by this monster in his mirror. Another classic "disabled-person-becomes-a-murderer" story in the same vein as Lawnmower Man!

It's the worst fucking trope and I hate that Fredrick Koehler has basically based his whole career on playing evil disabled characters.

For a second I thought this was an adaptation of the Capcom survival horror game of the same name, but this looks like utter dogshit. Though the plot seems to be just as insane as the game's.

• Like 1

It's the worst fucking trope and I hate that Fredrick Koehler has basically based his whole career on playing evil disabled characters.

Normal actors playing mentally handicapped is insulting as hell, and I can't think of a single time it's been pulled off. There are actors with these handicaps -- use them. It's like Gary Oldman walking around on his knees in Tiptoes, just totally unnecessary and kinda offensive.

• Like 2

Normal actors playing mentally handicapped is insulting as hell, and I can't think of a single time it's been pulled off. There are actors with these handicaps -- use them. It's like Gary Oldman walking around on his knees in Tiptoes, just totally unnecessary and kinda offensive.

I saw Whats Eating Gilbert Grape when I was like 8 years old, and thought Leonardo Dicaprio was mentally handicapped until I next saw him in Titanic.

I saw Whats Eating Gilbert Grape when I was like 8 years old, and thought Leonardo Dicaprio was mentally handicapped until I next saw him in Titanic.

I will grant that Dicaprio's performance in that is very good, but if the film was made today I think it would (rightfully) get called out on that choice.

No youre right it was 100% an unfortunate choice. It's one of the reasons why no matter how dumb they were I always loved the Farrelly Brothers movies.

I read a bit more about this in an article in Rue Morgue concerning the production process of this movie, which took 15 years by the way and was released 2 YEARS after Getty's death, and it's very clear this was a passion project for the director who was working through some shit. It's akin to The Room in that there is a plot there but it gets lost in the midst of these subplots and train of thoughts that are random, but at least in this there is conclusion to them. It's also very clear that while both films had a near identical budget, Getty was knowledgeable enough about the industry to make a fairly well produced film, especially for a movie that should have been released in 02-03 rather than 2017. The special effects in particular are pretty great, drawing inspiration from what seems to be Tool music videos and various short animated films. It's definitely worth a watch, for that aspect, as well as it get's pretty nutso for a horror flick, but if they ever cover this they need to get the Sklars as guests because they share a role as a cop in this and I would love to hear about their experience working on this film.

I'll have to watch this sometime, I will agree with a sentiment an earlier poster made in that Frederick Koehler really isn't my favorite actor. He's consistently played roles like this throughout his whole career, and he doesnt do it all convincingly. 

To be fair this isn't his worst, mainly because the character is disabled due to getting attacked as a child, rather it being a condition from birth.

On 3/17/2017 at 7:24 PM, RyanSz said:

For a second I thought this was an adaptation of the Capcom survival horror game of the same name, but this looks like utter dogshit. Though the plot seems to be just as insane as the game's.

Ah yes thank I was trying really hard to remember where I had heard this name before and you helped me pin point it, because I saw the ads for that game literally everywhere for 2 straight weeks I think lol.

13 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

Ah yes thank I was trying really hard to remember where I had heard this name before and you helped me pin point it, because I saw the ads for that game literally everywhere for 2 straight weeks I think lol.

Yeah that's it, and actually the game has a similar take on dreams/nightmares and how fucked up they can be, so for a minute I thought they had rushed a movie adaptation of the game, which wouldn't surprise me with how quickly some studios will make reboots or remakes.

Sign in to follow this