🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 158 - Body Parts: LIVE!

That's exactly right. To be honest, Iron Fist was the show I was looking forward to the most. And although I would have preferred Ryan Kwanten for the role

Ha, I'm enjoying the shirtless pic.

I wish they had cast someone else with better fighting skills. Or at least better flexibility. I've never followed Iron Fist, but I get the feeling maybe he's a character who shouldn't struggle to get into the lotus position?

• Like 4

As am I lol. I would have been aboard the Ryan Kwanten train.

I haven't watched a single episode so I have nothing to add except this was the one series I wasn't interested in binging at aaallllll and the more I read people's reactions the more I've been putting off even starting it.

• Like 5

Did anyone else have a problem with the physics of the car crash? We see Jeff Fahey come to a screeching halt because the car in front of him lost its tire, then he's rear-ended by the semi. When you're at a stop and get rear-ended you are pushed back into your seat. Hitting something head-on is what would launch you out of your windshield.

The truck did rear-end JF's car and then JF's car rear-ended the car in front, so maybe that's why he was thrown forward.

• Like 3

I wish they had cast someone else with better fighting skills. Or at least better flexibility. I've never followed Iron Fist, but I get the feeling maybe he's a character who shouldn't struggle to get into the lotus position?

Or the ability to run and not look like the Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz...

tumblr_m87du9mIpw1r94e9jo1_500.gif

As am I lol. I would have been aboard the Ryan Kwanten train.

Pervs.

tumblr_mztxwsCMFZ1tobj7po5_500.jpg

• Like 5

Pretty much applied to every University library.

Probably most believable in the case of Geisel (UC San Diego).

Geisel-Library-1014.jpg

Considering who it's named after (no joke!) would you expect any less?

• Like 2

I have been waiting for them to do Body Parts since this I started listening to this podcast because one of my friends has been referencing this movie since we were kids.

He and I watched this movie at least 20 years ago and while we were watching, we started speculating on who was murdering the transplant recipients, to which my buddy said "I bet it's the guy who got the head."

When Charlie and his god-damned neck brace drove up next to the police cruiser, he could not have been happier and he has not let one week go by without assuring me that he is right about anything we disagree on since he correctly called "the guy with the head."

• Like 6

Considering who it's named after (no joke!) would you expect any less?

I bet the inside looks like:

s-03929_PO_ESCHER_07-large640.jpg

• Like 2

I was surprised it took that long for a person to suggest the mom/doctor was a mom/doctor/lover. Totally on brand for this movie.

Iron Fist also made me sad. I enjoyed all of the Madame Gao though.

When Paul talked about the guy he knew at school, making sure there was always an outline around his dick, it just reminded me of a guy I knew who did something similar, and I just ended up crying with laughter.

Every so often, he'd "adjust himself", to use a more polite euphamism. He'd do that in an attempt to make it look bigger to get what is known where I come from as a "semi-on" so that he'd stand a better chance of "Getting a bonk" as he'd call it.

My high school Language Arts teacher mentioned this happened all the time. She usually had an awkward speech once a year during Grade 9, to tell the boys "Look, if you're that uncomfortable, get baggier clothes or leave the room. I don't want to spend this entire school year watching half of you adjust yourselves"

• Like 4

The truck did rear-end JF's car and then JF's car rear-ended the car in front, so maybe that's why he was thrown forward.

I also enjoyed how his car and the car in front of him crumpled together to form a platform that presumably catapulted him further into the air.

• Like 5

I was kind of shocked neither guest mentioned that Dr. Chrushank almost has the same last name as Paul Rust's character on Love.

• Like 1

Wow! I finally had a chance to listen to the episode. It was a really good one!

Regarding, Dr. Webb as being his literal mother. No. Not even this movie wouldn't dare to try to pull that off. There is no way a judge is going to sign an execution order that reads: Death by Experimental Surgery Performed by His Own Mother.

• Like 7

Wow! I finally had a chance to listen to the episode. It was a really good one!

Regarding, Dr. Webb as being his literal mother. No. Even this movie wouldn't dare to try to pull that off. There is no way a judge is going to sign an execution order that reads: Death by Experimental Surgery Performed by His Own Mother.

I'm still not sure where the whole "mom" thing is coming from? (Besides the podcast)

I know someone mentioned it said that in the plot summary on wikipedia, but I'm not seeing it?

Also if it was the whole point--wouldn't they be sure to include in the movie?... I'm not buying it either.

• Like 7

I got that he had probably aged out of the role. So I was okay with Finn getting the part. But the part that really got me worried for this whole thing is when I read an article that Mike Colter and Finn Jones didn't even meet each until they were on the set of The Defenders! That's insanity! Luke Cage and Iron Fist's relationship is EVERYTHING!

As someone who hasn't read IRON FIST comics, just Power Man and Luke Cage, I was surprised by that too. I don't think Kwanten is too old--he is the same age as Mike Colter. I was actually worried when Finn Jones was cast because he's more than a decade younger than Mike Colter. I can't really see them as best buds. Which would suck. (Imagine if he has more chemistry with Charlie Cox and Jessica and Luke are forced to name their baby Mattelle? I'd riot.)

Anyway, I don't have anything to say about BODY PARTS, haha. When they're going through this week's thread for C&O, they will have a lot of Iron Fist corrections...

• Like 7

As someone who hasn't read IRON FIST comics, just Power Man and Luke Cage, I was surprised by that too. I don't think Kwanten is too old--he is the same age as Mike Colter. I was actually worried when Finn Jones was cast because he's more than a decade younger than Mike Colter. I can't really see them as best buds. Which would suck. (Imagine if he has more chemistry with Charlie Cox and Jessica and Luke are forced to name their baby Mattelle? I'd riot.)

Anyway, I don't have anything to say about BODY PARTS, haha. When they're going through this week's thread for C&O, they will have a lot of Iron Fist corrections...

Comic book ages are so weird, and it doesn't help that they're always drawn to look way more mature than they are supposed to be. For example, when Jean Grey dies after the Dark Phoenix Saga, her gravestone says she's only (I think) 21. Which means Cyclops would be around that age, but he's always drawn to look like he's 35 or something.

In Iron Fist's origin story, they say he was 9 years old when the plane crashed in K'un Lun and that it reappears every 10 years (not 15 as in the show) which makes him 19 or 20. Luke was supposed to be considerable older--and by considerable, I mean probably late twenties, early thirties. (Interestingly, Misty Knight, his one true Forever Love, was also supposed to be a bit older than him. Which is kind of cool. Not only were they pushing an interracial romance in the early Seventies, they were also going against the ageist norm that the man has to be older than the woman.)

Anyway, you can throw all that out the window because in the excellent final issue of Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist run ("Happy Birthday, Danny") they firmly establish that he is 33 years old. So unless Luke is currently pushing 50, I think it's safe to say their ages are pretty fluid. (Have I lost everyone yet? Please guys--do not operate heavy machinery while reading this.)

Basically, I think it's all about what kind of energy they wanted to add to the mix--goofy, impetuous youth or goofy, mature adult. Unfortunately, they seem to have created a third option: overemotional dumbass who talks a big game about being centered but throws hissy fits at the slightest inconvenience like a toddler being refused a lolly pop. I didn't really know who Finn Jones was before IF, and I really don't care for him now. Especially because he seems to be blaming everyone under the sun for the bad reviews. Hey man, the phone calls are coming from within the house. Deal with it.

As for Body Parts, I barely made it through it. And what I did watch, I barely paid attention too. I thought I might have something to add, but I think I'd rather bitch about Iron Fist :)

• Like 4

I didn't really know who Finn Jones was before IF, and I really don't care for him now. Especially because he seems to be blaming everyone under the sun for the bad reviews. Hey man, the phone calls are coming from within the house. Deal with it.

Also he threw a hissy fit about the Asian representation talk surrounding the show and quit Twitter like a REAL ADULT.

(I think we've all talked about this before and I recognize that Danny Rand is white in the comics but I still think in this era it would have been an amazing opportunity to tell a story about an Asian American man going through this arc.)

• Like 3

Also he threw a hissy fit about the Asian representation talk surrounding the show and quit Twitter like a REAL ADULT.

(I think we've all talked about this before and I recognize that Danny Rand is white in the comics but I still think in this era it would have been an amazing opportunity to tell a story about an Asian American man going through this arc.)

I would have been fine with that. In fact, I didn't get into Iron Fist until I was an adult and didn't even realize he was white until I read a comic. I always just assumed he was Asian. What sucks is, as Elektra points out in her journal, Lewis Tan expressed interest in the role, but only got a minor part in it. However, that minor part is one of the absolute highlights of the show. No joke. If all you watch is his scene, do that. What he does in about 90 seconds is absolutely amazing!

What I would have liked, and Elektra, Tom and Cam Bert can give me their opinions on this, is an Iron Fist show that was like a straight up Kung Fu movie. Like Marvel's version of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Enter the Dragon. Aesthetically, I know it wouldn't have really worked, but it would have been different. Anything would have been better than this meandering corporation bullshit.

One of my favorite (terrible) moments was

when Colleen is betrayed by her students at the hospital, and she's standing there, battle ready, and says nervously (but still like a boss), "Have you been keeping up with your practice?" or something to that effect. And your thinking, "Oh shit, she's about to unload on these d-bags!" and then....nothing. Scene ends. She surrenders without a fight.

What. The. Fuck. Ever.

• Like 3

I had no idea who Lewis Tan was, but I loved his scene so much! Such a wasted opportunity. We could've had a kickass Iron Fist who could kick ass. I would've enjoyed the series so much more if at least the fight scenes were good. Daredevil fight scenes were more MMA than strict wushu, but I'd rather watch DD fight scenes. So yeah, I would've loved a "kung fu" movie, but only if the fight scenes felt natural, which they weren't in IF.

One of my favorite (terrible) moments was

when Colleen is betrayed by her students at the hospital, and she's standing there, battle ready, and says nervously (but still like a boss), "Have you been keeping up with your practice?" or something to that effect. And your thinking, "Oh shit, she's about to unload on these d-bags!" and then....nothing. Scene ends. She surrenders without a fight.

What. The. Fuck. Ever.

This was also a favorite terrible moment for me, but for different reasons. In the background of this scene were several carboys, used in homebrewing beer or other fermented beverages. I know they were just props, but it cracked me up to think The Hand had hobbies like making craft beers.

• Like 3

I had no idea who Lewis Tan was, but I loved his scene so much! Such a wasted opportunity. We could've had a kickass Iron Fist who could kick ass. I would've enjoyed the series so much more if at least the fight scenes were good. Daredevil fight scenes were more MMA than strict wushu, but I'd rather watch DD fight scenes. So yeah, I would've loved a "kung fu" movie, but only if the fight scenes felt natural, which they weren't in IF.

This was also a favorite terrible moment for me, but for different reasons. In the background of this scene were several carboys, used in homebrewing beer or other fermented beverages. I know they were just props, but it cracked me up to think The Hand had hobbies like making craft beers.

That's hilarious! Maybe that's how they pay for Ninja University?

Also, have you finished it yet? Because that ending...we need to talk about it.

• Like 2

Claud Squad 4 lyfe!

I loved when she commented on Chrushank not being a real name, because I thought she was saying Cruikshank, which is the last name of the main character on her show Love. :P

The ending was so dumb. M and I looked at each other like "huh?" WTF was that?

I thought Iron Fist was going to join the Defenders, but how does he do that if he's supposed to go find K'un Lun with Colleen? And why does Joy want to kill Danny all of a sudden? Did they really not notice Gao sitting right next to them?

I went back and read the other spoiler text and I'm not surprised that Colleen and Danny were not romantically involved in the comics. Earlier in the show, their relationship felt like a friendship that would evolve into a partnership - in fighting, not in bed. When the impromptu "date" happened, it felt so forced and unnatural.

Oh, and that homeless guy/chicken parm provider who let Danny use Google. What was the point of him having a hawk tattoo? I kept waiting for it to have a significance in the show, but he was just some rando homeless guy. WHY?

• Like 1

I'm so glad you're done with Iron Fist!

I had a real problem with how they treated Colleen. She's starts out so kickass, they have sex, and then, all of the sudden, she can't go one scene without talking about how "wonderful" he is. The fact that Danny is objectively not awesome makes me lose a ton of respect for her. And the fact that she would leave the dojo she built herself just to follow his dumbass to K'un Lun was just insulting. I think this pissed me off the most. It's like they sacrificed Coleen on the altar of "someone always needs to be telling the audience Danny is great." He's like her fucking Poochie.

colleenwing.jpg

"Where's Danny?"Poochy_%28Simpsons_Official_Site%29.PNG

I also wonder, since the show confirms that Davos was right and Danny is in fact the worst IF ever and K'un Lun has (apparently) been destroyed, how exactly do they expect to get back? Colleen was already bitching, and Danny was expecting to get there in time to work out (just shut up, Danny),do they really have the provisions to scale back down a Himalayan mountain? It's not like they were prepared for K'un K'un to just...not be there. I kind of hope that the first scene of The Defenders is the front page of a newspaper saying that he and his girlfriend froze to death in Tibet looking for a mystical city. Or, better yet, Colleen returns to New York alone after feasting on Danny's frozen corpse.

But, for now, I guess Danny will just hold his glowing fist up in the air. I wonder how long he stood like that before Colleen was like, "Okay, yeah. We're gonna die without shelter."

Also, don't you feel like Danny could have been nicer to that homeless guy? Isn't he supposed to be Mr. Compassionate? And don't you dare turn your nose up at the chicken parm just because he got it out of a dumpster. Who the fuck are you, asshole? This guy did a nice thing for you, and you look at him like , "Ew, gross." You've traveled all the way from Asia without any money, I'm sure you've eaten worse. Mind your fucking manners, say "thank you," and ask him about his day, because it's not all about YOU, Danny!

• Like 2

I'm so glad you're done!

I also wonder, since the show confirms that Davos was right and Danny is in fact the worst IF ever and K'un Lun has (apparently) been destroyed, how exactly do they expect to get back? Colleen was already bitching, and Danny was expecting to get there in time to work out (just shut up, Danny),do they really have the provisions to scale back down a Himalayan mountain? It's not like they were prepared for K'un K'un to just...not be there. I kind of hope not and that the first scene of The Defenders is the front page of a newspaper that says he and his girlfriend froze to death in Tibet looking for a mystical city. Or, better yet, Colleen returns to New York alone after feasting on Danny's frozen corpse

I thought the same.

They were carrying tiny little backpacks, wearing rather flimsy clothing. They said K'un Lun was in the Himalayas, right? Well, even the smaller peaks are 20,000 ft+. There's no way they looked prepared for that kind of a climb. Unless they had help and established base camps on the way? But that doesn't seem likely, since they didn't want outsiders finding out about the passage and also if they assumed it was a one-way trip. I dunno, maybe they learned Gao's survival tricks?

• Like 1

I thought the same.

They were carrying tiny little backpacks, wearing rather flimsy clothing. They said K'un Lun was in the Himalayas, right? Well, even the smaller peaks are 20,000 ft+. There's no way they looked prepared for that kind of a climb. Unless they had help and established base camps on the way? But that doesn't seem likely, since they didn't want outsiders finding out about the passage and also if they assumed it was a one-way trip. I dunno, maybe they learned Gao's survival tricks?

I also agree with you when you said...

How the fuck do Joy, and especially Davos, not notice Gao there! She is literally RIGHT THERE! If Joy stands up to go take a piss, she would have to excuse herself because her chair would bump into Gao's. And this says nothing about Davos, who is sitting looking DIRECTLY AT HER!!! He hates the Hand more than anyone on the show and he doesn't recognize her? I spotted her right away. I guess, maybe, neither of them know who she is...? So it doesn't matter...? Gah! This show was so dumb!

Wait a sec. I'm wrong about K'un Lun?

I thought it disappeared, Brigadoon style, not destroyed.