Episode 41 — Teach Me How To Skittle

84 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:02 PM

Andy Kindler and charts: Does a finer duo exist? The fabulous Mr. Kindler returns to once again delve into the world of movies and pop music (courtesy of iTunes US Singles). We get Andy's thoughts on Gaga and puns on The Debt before rolling into a game of Chart Roulette. Try to navigate the line between sincerity and hilarity as Andy excitedly dances and sings his way through the chart theme songs, movie trailers, and more. Plus, we announce the winner of the Heal With My Steel video contest! Listen in, pick up a Who Charted? tee shirt from the Earwolf store, and "if you wanna groove, groove."

#2 Flatulator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:24 AM

If I wanted to hear the ravings of a neurotic Jew, I would listen to Marc Maron! Just kidding; great episode.

#3 Ian Carolan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:18 AM

Andy Kindler is unbelievably funny. I think he should get honorary 3rd chair status. He should be on once a month.

#4 randman21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

I haven't got the chance to listen yet, but I'm elated to see Andy Kindler back so soon. I enjoyed that last episode too much.

#5 Morgan Slade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

All WC's are great. This one was super extra great. Andy Kindler is hilariously awesome and mixes in well with you two so naturally. I agree with Ian, Andy once month would not bother me at all. Trying to stifle my laughing in public while listening on headphones was tough on this one, and I'm pretty sure I spent the hour looking like a psychopath with tourrettes. Great job guys!

#6 daveB from Oakland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

"If you wanna groove, GROOVE. If you wanna skittle, then skittle". I have no idea what that means, but its hilarious. I'd like to point out that in the process of explaining how to skittle, Andy used the word "hiporonio". This didn't really clarify matters.

#7 Mick1326657681

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

As Tig N. would say, "Good One."

#8 Jeff1326657679

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

That first photo would make a great album cover.

#9 Alan342

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

First off, I apologize for this comment because I know negative comments don't usually go over well. It's always a futile thing to say you don't like somebody, because if a person has appeared on the show multiple times.. odds are that person is a friend of Howard & Kulap, or otherwise got a good reaction from the listeners the first time around.

That being said, I really don't like Andy Kindler. I'm sorry to say that, but I just don't find him funny. I think having him on as the first guest since the Funny Or Die thing is especially bad, because he doesn't follow the flow of the show. If I was a new listener, I wouldn't know what the hell is going on. Andy is loud, random, and visual. He really tries to fill the room, and all those things are probably great for stand up. I just think it's headache inducing on a podcast like this. Sorry.

I tune in for Howard & Kulap, I love em! And most of the time the guests are amazing. Seriously, if you are a new listener, check out the archive. You'll love it.

#10 NyukNinja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

Couldn't agree more Alan. This show works best when a guest can work within the confines of the show, not againt it. I have nothing against Andy: The Human, but Andy: The Comic just brings way too damn much of their own schtick and hijack the show. It's like Howard and Kulap are trying to put on an awesome show with a little kid in the corner yelling "Look at me! Look at me!". I just found myself rolling my eyes the whole time.
No hate just constructive criticism.

#11 Dustin Marshall

Audio Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationHollywood, CA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

You two don't find Andy Kindler funny? I've never been in a room with someone as non-stop hilarious as Andy Kindler. And I have the good fortune of working around the funniest people on the planet. Andy is one of them.

In fact, putting this show together I could not stop laughing for 2 days.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

-Audio Engineer Dustin

#12 Ben K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

Howard's summation of the music chart was fucking brilliant. It was coherent, it made a good point, and it was concise. I need to go back and listen to it so I can write it down and post it on my bathroom mirror or something.

#13 Roy Ziegler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

I also cast my vote for a once a month appearance by Andy Kindler, I thought I'd have to wait a while before hearing him again on WC, so I was delighted to see him on again so soon. I guess some people don't like him, which baffles me, but he can be this show's Harris Wittels! That last section of the bonus chart where he makes fun of Adam Sandler and Robin Williams was a thing of beauty, I could listen to Kindler make fun of bad comedy for hours and hours and never get sick of it.

#14 Mike Fischer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:26 PM

I guess I'm in the No Andy Kindler boat. I am not trying to be mean and I've seen his standup where his personality works perfectly and he's a funny guy. When he's on the podcast all he'd have to do is somewhat tone it down and stop with the wacky jokes. Close to the end you can tell that Howie wanted to get words in but Kindler wouldn't stop.

#15 cakebob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

I'm aboard the S.S. Andy Kindler, and strangely enough David Feldman is the captain. Great show, more Kindler.

#16 Malcolm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

I think Andy Kindler is one of, if not the funniest guests to have gone on Who Charted. To me the show is about having fun and not taking anything too seriously, Andy embodies that plus Kulap and Howard seem to be have a great time as well. More Kindler!

#17 NyukNinja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

Yea Mike I guess you got to the heart of it. When a guest hijacks the show and prevents Howard or Kulap from talking instead of enhancing what they say (like a P.F. Thompkins of Andy Richter) it feels jarring. And Kindler just comes off as a comedian from another era. Its odd that he makes fun of Robin Williams after an hour acting like Robin Williams does.
To Dustin I say that being in the same room probably makes a lot of difference. I imagine hes very animated.

I would also like to add that this is the most civil discussion I've ever had in an internet comments section and everyone should be proud of themselves. Seriously.

#18 Sean Mills

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

Hey guys,

Howard's Nephew Sean here.

I made some fan art for this episode:

[attachment=7423,160]

#19 Sean Mills

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

This one is an animated gif for your tumblrs.

http://26.media.tumb...y1o1_r1_500.gif

#20 Julia Hays

Earwolf Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey native. New to Los Angeles.

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:50 PM

Andy! I can't believe you compared Maroon 5 and Train to Coldplay! Those three bands do not go together. I have a special place in my heart for Chris Martin.
-
I also have a special place in my heart for this show. Enjoyable listen, as always. And I don't mind missing out on Andy's dance moves, because hearing Kulap and Howard's reactions still makes it hilarious!